10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2012 8:02 AM by AdobeScripts

Is running a script considered "using" InDesign

Fred Goldman Level 3
      If I have to run a script that will take some time. Are there any legal
      issues with working with InDesign on my laptop while the script is running?
        • 1. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
          Level 1
          Hi Fred,

Nope! Just don't mess with anything the script cares about, and you'll be fine.

Thanks,

Ole
          • 2. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
            Fred Goldman Level 3
            Ole,

I think you might have misunderstood my question. I meant if it is in any way breaking the EULA.
            • 3. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
              Level 1
              Hi Fred,

You are the license holder, and you're just using InDesign. As long as you're sitting there, the EULA doesn't care about how many concurrent processes you start.

Thanks,

Ole
              • 4. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
                Fred Goldman Level 3
                I meant the script running on my desktop while I use InDesign on my laptop.

But that's interesting, I never knew you could physically start a new process and run InDesign on the same machine?

Edit: Or maybe you in fact meant using it on my laptop is just running another process???
                • 5. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
                  If you are asking about separate computers, according to the license agreement, you are entitled to install ("activate") the software on up to two machines, provided that the software is not used on both machines at the same time.

In other words, you can install InDesign on two computers NOT in the same location (i.e., on the same network) as long as you use InDesign on only ONE of those computers at a time. This is akin to the "like a book" analogy software manufacturers use: you can't have one physical book in two places being read by two different people at the same time.

This is to help out professionals who may have a work desktop and home laptop but don't want to/can't afford to buy separate licenses for each machine.

As far as running one InDesign on two different machines at the same time, it violates the letter of the license agreement. In fact, to keep users honest, some Adobe software applications monitor usage and can detect multiple concurrent use of a single license, and in fact, can (and often will) temporarily disable one or both of those sessions.
                  • 6. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
                    Fred Goldman Level 3
                    Thanks Joel, but you still haven't answered the question as to whether running a script is considered using InDesign.

I know I can't use InDesign on two different computers at once. The question is if I can run a script that takes an hour and work on my laptop in the meantime with the same license. The book analogy doesn't quite work here being that there's know such thing as "waiting for a book to copplete a process".
                    • 7. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
                      The only way I know how to run a script is to open InDesign and run the script from the scripts panel (or in CS3 run it on start-up). But this by definition is "using" InDesign because it is running on your desktop whether you are pushing the buttons or not.
                      • 8. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
                        AdobeScripts Level 3

(WJALLEN) wrote:

The only way I know how to run a script is to open InDesign and run the script from the scripts panel (or in CS3 run it on start-up). But this by definition is "using" InDesign because it is running on your desktop whether you are pushing the buttons or not.

You can also write script in VB6 and compile it to EXE (PC platform) - script will open InDesign and do something and can close InDesign without "pushing the buttons" by you

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk

• 9. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Robin, you just posted in a four-year old thread!

(Just wanted to point that out.)

From the EULA's perspective, running a script is unambiguously using InDesign and therefore to run a script on one machine and use InDesign interactively from another would absolutely be a violation of the plain-language reading of the EULA. Edit: (under the same license; obviously it'd be fine with seperate licenses)

Starting ID in an automated fashion to try to circumvent this is chicanery and definitely not OK.

Of course, I am not a laywer and the plain-language reading of the EULA may ascribe rights to Adobe that they may not be legally entitled to claim. Though in this case I don't have much doubt that they are entitled to claim them :-).

• 10. Re: Is running a script considered "using" InDesign
                            AdobeScripts Level 3

I know it was 4 years old

My post was only as info that you don't need to be in person in front of you machine and your keyboard and your mouse to run InDesign.

And I'm not saying anything about using InDesign on another machines at the same time