4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2009 8:48 PM by Smile2JP

Do I need to use WAMP?

Smile2JP
      Hi,

I have a question about using WAMP. I am not sure in my case, do I need to install WAMP or not.
      Hope you could help me to clear some concepts. I'm so confused about using local server or remote server.
      I'm developing an application, it will connects to PHP and MySQL. I'm going to upload my final application, php and database to a web hosting service company.

Do I need to install WAMP? Even though I'm going to put my files on the web hosting space. Developing locally means it only provides the convenience to test and run flex project and php at the same in my local computer?

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Do I need to use WAMP?
          EWN-CMI
          There is no Flex requirement for installing WAMP and you are correct that you will have to upload to your host server to test. I don't believe there is anything wrong with that approach other than the time required to build the Flex app each time and then upload it. I use WAMP - primarily because of the debugger and the one click access to phpMyAdmin.
          • 2. Re: Do I need to use WAMP?
            Level 7

"EWN-CMI" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:glgi4f$71e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > There is no Flex requirement for installing WAMP and you are correct that
            > you
            > will have to upload to your host server to test. I don't believe there is
            > anything wrong with that approach other than the time required to build
            > the
            > Flex app each time and then upload it. I use WAMP - primarily because of
            > the
            > debugger and the one click access to phpMyAdmin.

It also gives you a better understanding of what is going on and means that
            if you have problems on the server that you can ask more detailed questions
            of the tech support people (and know when not to take no for an answer).

For example, when I did a php project on my new WAMP installation, I found
            when I tried to run it that it wouldn't work until I made the WAMP folder
            writeable from the default internet guest user account. I hadn't done php
            on my server for several months, and when I uploaded my project to the
            server, it didn't work. I found that my older projects could also no
            longer write. Because I knew what needed to be done from my own
            installation, I didn't accept the tech support guy's statements that nothing
            was wrong on their end and finally had to ask him to pass me to someone who
            would take the problem seriously and fix it.

I still had to use a subdomain on a server in Mexico to run the project,
            since my host had the wrong version of PHP for my project, though. And this
            is the danger of developing on your own machine--your mySQL and php versions
            on WAMP may not match what's on your server. For more details, check out
            http://flexdiary.blogspot.com/2009/01/before-you-start-with-amfphp.html.

HTH;

Amy

• 3. Do I need to use WAMP?
              Smile2JP Level 1
              Hi EWN-CMI & Amy,

Thank you very much for your experiences and replies.
              It is much clear for me now. :)
              WAMP sounds a good solution when developing a flex+PHP application.
              • 4. Re: Do I need to use WAMP?
                Smile2JP Level 1
                Hi EWN-CMI & Amy,

Thank you very much for your experiences and replies.
                It is much clear for me now. :)
                WAMP sounds a good solution when developing a flex+PHP application.