2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2008 6:07 AM by (Robert_Tkaczyk)

IDCS2 How to make excel automation in Indesign Javascripting?

KatMus Level 1
      Hi all,

I have an excel sheet with several columns.I need to replace one of the column in the excel sheet with another set of values using (Indesign)javascript.

Please help.
      Provide me with code snippets.

Regards
      amu
        • 1. Re: IDCS2 How to make excel automation in Indesign Javascripting?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant
          >in the excel sheet [...] using (Indesign)javascript

It seems to me you think that javascript ("InDesign" JS??) can control any application on your computer.

Not so.

InDesign has 'generic' support for external programming languages. It can be controlled using JavaScript, Visual Basic for Applications (on Windows), AppleScript (on the Mac), and COM-aware programs, such as C++. The support for this is built-in into InDesign.

Excel has built-in support for Visual Basic. This probably means you can steer both Excel and ID from within the same VB -- I know it's possible through Word -- but has nothing to do with JS. Or with InDesign's support for JS. Or InDesign Scripting in general.

So, is it possible with VB? Well, it might be, but you might want to ask that one on a Microsoft forum, or this one:

>Provide me with code snippets.

(snip)
          • 2. Re: IDCS2 How to make excel automation in Indesign Javascripting?
            Level 1
            yes - VisualBasic and VBScript can steer both InDesign and Excel - and many other apps installed in Windows

robin

--
            www.adobescripts.com