13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2006 2:29 PM by Newsgroup_User

PDF's

DanJC18
      I have updated some new PDF's to my website however it is opening on the same page as my website instead of a seperate page like it used to. Is there something I have to set so that it opens on a sperate page so the viewer can x it out without xing the whole webpage out?
        • 1. Re: PDF's
          Level 7

>I have updated some new PDF's to my website however it is opening on the
          >same
          > page as my website instead of a seperate page like it used to. Is there
          > something I have to set so that it opens on a sperate page so the viewer
          > can x
          > it out without xing the whole webpage out?

Your options:

a) write text telling the person 'right-click and choose SAVE AS... to
          download'

or

b) ZIP the file, and hope they can figure out how to unzip it or don't mind
          unzipping it

or

c) Send the file to the browser as an 'octet-stream'. This forces the
          download window to appear. This requires that you use some server side
          programming.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: PDF's
            DanJC18 Level 1
            What I have done and want done is the following:

I have placed a link on my page that I would like the viewer to click. At that time I would like a new browser window to pop up in front of the current page where the viewer can just view. If they know how or want to save it they can figure out the save as by themselves. I just want the PDF to pop up on a new browser page so if they click out of the pdf browser page my website page will still be there.
            • 3. Re: PDF's
              Level 7
              > I have placed a link on my page that I would like the viewer to click. At
              > that time I would like a new browser window to pop up in front of the
              > current
              > page where the viewer can just view.

PDFs are dependant on a plug in and/or external software.

You can make a pop-up window, but there is no guarantee that your PDF will
              appear in it. It's entirely up to the end user's preference and installed
              softare.

Me, I HATE it when people link to PDFs with pop-up windows, as I end up with
              my PDF open in my own preferred app and then this blank, useless pop-up
              window that I then have to close.

My suggestion is to link to the PDF as a plain link, labeling it as a PDF
              File, and let the end-user decide what they want to do with it.

-Darrel

• 4. Re: PDF's
                Level 7

> my PDF open in my own preferred app and then this blank, useless
                pop-up window that I then have to close.

I don't understand this 'useless pop-up window' notion. In such a case,
                doesn't the PDF open in your default app for handling PDF's such as Adobe
                Reader or Acrobat? That's what happens for me when a PDF is delivered in a
                new window - the file opens in Acrobat in the popup window. I don't get a
                blank popup. Confused.

• 5. Re: PDF's
                  jrod49 Level 1
                  How about using: target="_blank" This will open the document in a new window.
                  • 6. Re: PDF's
                    Level 7
                    On 17 Jul 2006 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Alan Smithee Jr. wrote:

>> my PDF open in my own preferred app and then this blank, useless
                    >> pop-up window that I then have to close.
                    >
                    > I don't understand this 'useless pop-up window' notion. In such a
                    > case, doesn't the PDF open in your default app for handling PDF's
                    > such as Adobe Reader or Acrobat? That's what happens for me when a
                    > PDF is delivered in a new window - the file opens in Acrobat in the
                    > popup window. I don't get a blank popup.

In your case, the file opens in Acrobat PLUGIN in the popup window. In
                    darrel's case, the PDF opens directly in whatever application PDFs open
                    in on his system. Because there's no plugin, the newly-opened browser
                    window stays blank.

--
                    Joe Makowiec
                    http://makowiec.net/
                    Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
                    • 7. Re: PDF's
                      Level 7
                      Why the difference? Why don't PDF's open directly in Acrobat for me, rather
                      than the browser plugin?
                      Is this all user setting stuff, or is there a way to "force" opening in a
                      browser plugin?

• 8. Re: PDF's
                        DanJC18 Level 1
                        quote:

Originally posted by: jrod1954
                        How about using: target="_blank" This will open the document in a new window.

Thanks alor JROD you answered my question, yes I forgot to add _Blank. excelent, thank you. A+
                        • 9. Re: PDF's
                          Level 7
                          > I don't understand this 'useless pop-up window' notion. In such a case,
                          > doesn't the PDF open in your default app for handling PDF's such as Adobe
                          > Reader or Acrobat? That's what happens for me when a PDF is delivered in a
                          > new window - the file opens in Acrobat in the popup window. I don't get a
                          > blank popup.

If you JUST link to the PDF, that's what happens. If you link to the PDF via
                          a javascript pop-up window, then the window pops up, then the PDF downloads,
                          and I'm stuck with the extra blank browser window.

-Darrel

• 10. Re: PDF's
                            Level 7
                            > Why the difference? Why don't PDF's open directly in Acrobat for me,
                            > rather than the browser plugin?
                            > Is this all user setting stuff, or is there a way to "force" opening in a
                            > browser plugin?

It's all user stuff. If you have the acrobat plugin installed, then to have
                            it NOT automatically open PDFs, you need to open Acrobat Reader, and change
                            the preference there.

-Darrel

• 11. Re: PDF's
                              Level 7
                              > Thanks alor JROD you answered my question, yes I forgot to add _Blank.
                              > excelent, thank you. A+

Again, that only creates a new blank window. Whether or not the PDF loads in
                              it is entirely out of your hands.

-Darrel

• 12. Re: PDF's
                                Level 7
                                "....you need to open Acrobat Reader, and change the preference there.

Ah. I didn't realize one could have Acrobat AND Adobe Reader. I only have
                                Acrobat, not Reader.

• 13. Re: PDF's
                                  Level 7
                                  > Ah. I didn't realize one could have Acrobat AND Adobe Reader. I only have
                                  > Acrobat, not Reader.

If you installed Acrobat, it installs Reader as well. Or, at least, it used
                                  to.

-Darrel