9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 2:47 PM by hannibalcanibal

Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?

I understand you can't create two instances of Dreamweaver (unless you have an OS that runs mult instances)
      http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=12&catid=189&threadid =1297532&highlight_key=y&keyword1=instances

The reason for this is that I need to use DW to download large sites (frequently) which basically renders DW useless to me until it's done. Why not FTP the information? Because I need the Check-In/Check-Out information for Contribute users (so I'm told).

So, does anyone have the same issue here, or is there a way around this that I just can't think of right now???

Thanks all. Happy Friday!
        • 1. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
          Level 7
          No you can't have 2 instance of dreamweaver running at the same time. One
          solution could be to use an FTP program to download your site. when the
          site is completely downloaded, use site manager to make it one of DW.

The other solution is to have a second computer doing the download if you
          really need to to use DW. And I guess you are allowed to have 2 copy of DW
          installed as long as you are the only user. Like a desktop computer and a
          laptop. But I AM ABSOLUTLY NOT SURE OF THAT.

aka Frenchy ASP
          "hannibalcanibal" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gdt78q$h4p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I understand you can't create two instances of Dreamweaver (unless you have
          >an
          > OS that runs mult instances)
          >
          > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=12&catid=18
          > 9&threadid=1297532&highlight_key=y&keyword1=instances
          >
          > The reason for this is that I need to use DW to download large sites
          > (frequently) which basically renders DW useless to me until it's done. Why
          > not
          > FTP the information? Because I need the Check-In/Check-Out information for
          > Contribute users (so I'm told).
          >
          > So, does anyone have the same issue here, or is there a way around this
          > that I
          > just can't think of right now???
          >
          > Thanks all. Happy Friday!
          >

• 2. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
            Level 7
            > No you can't have 2 instance of dreamweaver running at the same time. One
            > solution could be to use an FTP program to download your site. when the
            > site is completely downloaded, use site manager to make it one of DW.

That will not work if he is wanting to use Contribute, as those files will
            not show as being checked out to the other Contribute users.

> But I AM ABSOLUTLY NOT SURE OF THAT

I am. It's legal.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Alain St-Pierre" <alainetcolleen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
            news:gdt8h4$io2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > solution could be to use an FTP program to download your site. when the
            > site is completely downloaded, use site manager to make it one of DW.
            >
            > The other solution is to have a second computer doing the download if you
            > really need to to use DW. And I guess you are allowed to have 2 copy of
            > DW installed as long as you are the only user. Like a desktop computer
            > and a laptop. But I AM ABSOLUTLY NOT SURE OF THAT.
            >
            > aka Frenchy ASP
            > "hannibalcanibal" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:gdt78q$h4p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >>I understand you can't create two instances of Dreamweaver (unless you
            >>have an
            >> OS that runs mult instances)
            >>
            >> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=12&catid=18
            >> 9&threadid=1297532&highlight_key=y&keyword1=instances
            >>
            >> The reason for this is that I need to use DW to download large sites
            >> (frequently) which basically renders DW useless to me until it's done.
            >> Why not
            >> FTP the information? Because I need the Check-In/Check-Out information
            >> for
            >> Contribute users (so I'm told).
            >>
            >> So, does anyone have the same issue here, or is there a way around this
            >> that I
            >> just can't think of right now???
            >>
            >> Thanks all. Happy Friday!
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
              Level 7
              Alain St-Pierre wrote:

You certainly can, at least on mac.
              Mick
              • 4. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
                Level 7
                Not on a PC. Well technically you can have 2 instances of a certain
                application opened on PC, like notepad for instence, but if the programmers
                didn't want this to happen then it won't for various reasons..

And please no comments on PC vs Mac. Mac also has problems, just look at
                the post here so pppllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee don't get me
                started.
                "Michael White" <mwhite13@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
                news:gdtckc$ntg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Alain St-Pierre wrote:
                >> No you can't have 2 instance of dreamweaver running at the same time.
                >> One
                >
                > You certainly can, at least on mac.
                > Mick

• 5. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
                  Level 7
                  Alain St-Pierre wrote:
                  > Not on a PC. Well technically you can have 2 instances of a certain
                  > application opened on PC, like notepad for instence, but if the programmers
                  > didn't want this to happen then it won't for various reasons..
                  >
                  > And please no comments on PC vs Mac. Mac also has problems, just look at
                  > the post here so pppllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee don't get me
                  > started.

I can only speak for Mac, I have no emotional attachment to the Mac.
                  It's merely a box.
                  Mick
                  • 6. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
                    Level 7
                    He's right, Alain.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    ==================

"Alain St-Pierre" <alainetcolleen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
                    news:gdtddn$p4j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Not on a PC. Well technically you can have 2 instances of a certain
                    > application opened on PC, like notepad for instence, but if the
                    > programmers didn't want this to happen then it won't for various reasons..
                    >
                    > And please no comments on PC vs Mac. Mac also has problems, just look at
                    > the post here so pppllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee don't get me
                    > started.
                    > "Michael White" <mwhite13@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
                    > news:gdtckc$ntg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> Alain St-Pierre wrote:
                    >>> No you can't have 2 instance of dreamweaver running at the same time.
                    >>> One
                    >>
                    >> You certainly can, at least on mac.
                    >> Mick
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
                      Level 7
                      My guess is that what needs to be addressed is WHAT in this large site with
                      contribute users is needing to be changed in dw on a regular basis. That is
                      what's causing the need to check out the entire site.

Is it a nav item or something? Can it be moved to an SSI or scripted
                      include?

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 8. Re: Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
                        Level 7
                        I know, Mick and Murray, a computer is just a box and that's why I said no
                        comments.
                        "Michael White" <mwhite13@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
                        news:gdtlr2$686$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Alain St-Pierre wrote:
                        >> Not on a PC. Well technically you can have 2 instances of a certain
                        >> application opened on PC, like notepad for instence, but if the
                        >> programmers didn't want this to happen then it won't for various
                        >> reasons..
                        >>
                        >> And please no comments on PC vs Mac. Mac also has problems, just look at
                        >> the post here so pppllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee don't get me
                        >> started.
                        >
                        > I can only speak for Mac, I have no emotional attachment to the Mac. It's
                        > merely a box.
                        > Mick

• 9. Can't Create Two DW Instances so...what do you do?
                          Level 1
                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                          My guess is that what needs to be addressed is WHAT in this large site with
                          contribute users is needing to be changed in dw on a regular basis. That is
                          what's causing the need to check out the entire site.

Is it a nav item or something? Can it be moved to an SSI or scripted
                          include?

--
                          Alan
                          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

This is a very good question. I've found that there are some areas where there are a crapload of PDF's in a folder, etc. So questioning why I'm downloading this stuff is valid. I don't need those elements, but it would be just nice to download the site in the background (somewhere) and do other work elsewhere.

What I'm doing now is going into the Remote location and selecting the files/folders I want to download and that's taking a bit less time.

I guess I can download and get all related resources to the file as well. I just really like being able to click through the site to the areas I want to go without having to worry about whether or not a file was downloaded. Guess I'm lazy that way (doesn't that make me a great programmer ;) - j/k)

Thanks again.