8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2006 7:02 AM by twobugs

Newbie...control speed of moving text

twobugs
      Have a line of text which I want to start from the right edge of my stage, move to the left near the beginning of the stage.
      Have tweened the line of text to move as I wanted but I cannot control the speed of which the sprite moves from the right side to the left. Tried control panel, changing the tempo and tweening dialog box but cannot seem to slow the line to move slowly from right to left. Would appreciate some help.
        • 1. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
          Level 7
          You need two keyframes, one at the start with the text sprite positioned
          at the right, another at the end of the animation with the text sprite
          positioned at the left. You should have a number of frames in between
          the two keyframes.

To change the speed of the animation from one keyframe to the next you
          can change the number of frames in between and/or change the frame rate
          of the movie.

--
          Rob
          _______
          Rob Dillon
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.ddg-designs.com
          412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
          • 2. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
            twobugs Level 1
            Rob,
            I don't know if I am clearly describing my problem of moving type from right side of stage to left side of stage. The text line is long and has a teletype behavior attached. I want to have the type appear at the right side of the browser and slowly move to the left where it would continue to go off the left side. I need to slow it down to be read properly.
            I placed the type sprite where I wanted it to start on the stage...then clicked on the red button and moved the tween line to the right. This seems to work but ...just to fast. Need the speed to be somewhat the same as the teletype behavior speed. If I can impose you to take a look at my problem of how fast the type under the photo jumps from right to left at:
            www.bugdal.com/wds/wds3.dcr
            Would greatly appreciate the help.
            • 3. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
              twobugs Level 1
              Rob,
              Now I fouled things up. I had the type starting from the right side of the browser (stage) and moving to the left side of the browser stage) and did something that lost my original tweening and I can't seem to duplicate it. I will keep trying to get back to what I originally had.
              • 4. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
                Level 7
                I looked at the tickertape behavior. You don't need or want to use any
                keyframing for this effect. When you apply the effect to the text
                sprite, a window should open to allow you to select the speed that the
                text will crawl.

Once applied, you can get back to this option by selecting the sprite
                and then opening the property inspector window, then select the behavior
                tab and you can change the setting.

Work with different values there. You should find a speed that will work
                for you.

--
                Rob
                _______
                Rob Dillon
                Adobe Community Expert
                412-243-9119

• 5. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
                  twobugs Level 1
                  Man, spent a good 6 hours trying to figure out what is going on. I can get the type to move when I am in Director and it works in preview mode and view in browser.
                  However when I place it on the web the line just starts at the left side of the browser. Can I impose upon you to take a look and possibly give me a clue as why it works in Director and not on when on the web?
                  www.bugdal.com/wds/wds3.dcr

• 6. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
                    twobugs Level 1
                    Rob,
                    The ticker tape speed is fine I know how to set that.
                    Let me try to be clearer on my intent.
                    When I open the dcr file on the internet I want the tickertape sprite to slowly move on to the screen from the extreme right (as off the page) to the extreme left and then kick in and start the tickertape routine. The movement should be as slow as the ticketape tempo.
                    I get it to work in Director when i preview it and do the F12 browser view from Director. But when I publish and put the dcr file on the internet the tickertape routine starts immediately on the left.
                    Do I make sense?
                    • 7. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
                      Level 7
                      Ok, you want two different things. 1. You want to move the sprite from
                      the right to the left with the text static, and , 2. you want the text
                      to begin to tickertape across the full screen.

If this is what you want then this is how to do that.

1. Place the text sprite at the far right of the stage area.
                      2. Stretch the sprite for about 20 frames and place a second keyframe at
                      the second to last frame.
                      3. Select that keyframe and move the text sprite so that it fills the
                      stage left to right.
                      4. You should now have an animation that takes 20 to move the sprite
                      from the right side to the full stage width.
                      5. Select the last frame and extend it for as many frames as you need.
                      6. Select just the frame after the second keyframe. This will be 21
                      frames into the sprite.
                      7. From the modify menu, select split sprite.
                      8. This will give you two separate sprite extents, both using the same
                      sprite.
                      9. Select the second sprite extent and apply the tickertape behavior.
                      10. Lengthen or shorten this second sprite extent as needed.

You will have one animation where you move the sprite on the stage, and
                      a second animation where the text moves in the sprite using the
                      tickertape behavior.

--
                      Rob
                      _______
                      Rob Dillon
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      412-243-9119

• 8. Re: Newbie...control speed of moving text
                        twobugs Level 1
                        Voila....wonderful. Took a bit to figure the sequences out but it works like a charm. Do not even need the tickertape behavior. I will continue to play with it.
                        May the gods bless you.
                        If you can recommend a good source on learning Director I would appreciate it.
                        Thanks again.