10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 2:36 PM by Newsgroup_User

Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?

sayyesyes Level 1
      I cant ftp files of over 4.7 MB to my website, and yet I can ftp them via browser. Have received no response whatever from Adobe support except I was supposed to be called back 3 days ago. Smaller files ftp fine. Thanks for any help. FTP log doesnt give error, screen says 'No Response from Server'. (Dreamweaver CS3)
        • 1. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
          Level 7
          sayyesyes wrote:
          > I cant ftp files of over 4.7 MB to my website, and yet I can ftp them via
          > browser. Have received no response whatever from Adobe support except I was
          > supposed to be called back 3 days ago. Smaller files ftp fine. Thanks for any
          > help. FTP log doesnt give error, screen says 'No Response from Server'.
          > (Dreamweaver CS3)

I've uploaded much larger files than that via FTP. You may want to try setting the FTP to passive as I've heard that that solves a number of FTP problems.
          Site -> Manage sites, select site, click Edit, go to the Remote Info category, and check Use passive FTP.

--
          Danilo Celic
          | http://blog.extensioneering.com/
          | WebAssist Extensioneer
          | Adobe Community Expert
          • 2. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
            sayyesyes Level 1
            That's already in place, thanks.
            • 3. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
              Level 7
              "sayyesyes" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:glnbis$l86$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I cant ftp files of over 4.7 MB to my website, and yet I can ftp them via
              > browser. Have received no response whatever from Adobe support except I
              > was
              > supposed to be called back 3 days ago. Smaller files ftp fine. Thanks for
              > any
              > help. FTP log doesnt give error, screen says 'No Response from Server'.
              > (Dreamweaver CS3)

Use an independent FTP client... FileZilla is free and prety good - and
              free... That way you have total control over what goes up and what comes
              down ;->

JJ

• 4. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
                sayyesyes Level 1
                I didnt buy Dreamweaver in order to have to use another program to ftp. And, there are no stated limits to Dreamweaver's ftp usage. Therefore Dreamweaver is not acting as advertised and I consider that a bug that needs to be fixed.
                • 5. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
                  Level 7

"sayyesyes" wrote:
                  >I didnt buy Dreamweaver in order to have to use another program to ftp.
                  >And,
                  > there are no stated limits to Dreamweaver's ftp usage. Therefore
                  > Dreamweaver is
                  > not acting as advertised and I consider that a bug that needs to be fixed.

Hey Charlie Brown... or Nancy... actually, you sound more like Nancy...

This is a user to user forum... you have a gripe? Call Adobe support....

And, have a good day too...

• 6. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
                    Level 7
                    Hey - I have never used anything but DW and have never encountered this
                    issue. If it's a bug then we need an absolute way to troubleshoot it. How
                    can anyone act on someone's gut feeling? Give Adobe a set of steps that
                    produce the problem everytime (perhaps including login access to your
                    server), and you'll get a solution most likely.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                    ==================
                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                    ==================

news:glnm83$543$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I didnt buy Dreamweaver in order to have to use another program to ftp.
                    >And,
                    > there are no stated limits to Dreamweaver's ftp usage. Therefore
                    > Dreamweaver is
                    > not acting as advertised and I consider that a bug that needs to be fixed.
                    >

• 7. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
                      sayyesyes Level 1
                      This is a user forum, and I havent heard any solution for my Dreamweaver problem. I have contacted Adobe on 1/22 and was told that a level 2 technician would call me in 8 business hrs. Havent heard anything back from them yet at all, when I call they say the tech is 'looking' at it. So "Jay Jay" save YOUR unhelpful comments for someone else. I was responding to someone else, and it is a legitimate request to expect to be able to FTP a 5mg file with Dreamweaver. If you have a solution in Dreamweaver, then post it, otherwise your comment is superfluous.
                      • 8. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
                        Level 7
                        I'll reiterate - if your issue cannot be reproduced, it cannot be fixed.
                        Define a set of steps that allow you to reproduce the issue every time.
                        Then send these steps and login information for your server to tech support
                        with the case# of the ticket that was opened for you, please.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

news:glnqog$a7b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > This is a user forum, and I havent heard any solution for my Dreamweaver
                        > problem. I have contacted Adobe on 1/22 and was told that a level 2
                        > technician
                        > would call me in 8 business hrs. Havent heard anything back from them yet
                        > at
                        > all, when I call they say the tech is 'looking' at it. So "Jay Jay" save
                        > YOUR
                        > unhelpful comments for someone else. I was responding to someone else, and
                        > it
                        > is a legitimate request to expect to be able to FTP a 5mg file with
                        > Dreamweaver. If you have a solution in Dreamweaver, then post it,
                        > otherwise
                        > your comment is superfluous.
                        >

• 9. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
                          sayyesyes Level 1
                          And I'll state this again: I am unable to ftp files of larger than about 4.8 MB. and they fail to transfer every time; but these same files can be transferred via other ftp methods. So this IS repeatable, and I have detailed this to techsupport, but have not received a call back since 1/22/09. So I have done everything that you have said, and once again I find a user here posting something which does not contain a solution to my problem. If you don't have a solution please don't post. Its really quite simple.
                          • 10. Re: Does FTP have size limit Dreamweaver CS3 ?
                            Level 7
                            You will not get your solution here with your surly approach. Sorry. We
                            are only trying to help you - and we are NOT Adobe. We are just users like
                            you.

You could zip and send me one of those files (along with your connection
                            information), and let me try to upload it to your site. That might be a
                            viable way to proceed. But I can tell that I and others here have not
                            experienced such an upper size limit on DW's FTP.

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            ==================
                            ==================

news:glo13g$hrr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > And I'll state this again: I am unable to ftp files of larger than about
                            > 4.8
                            > MB. and they fail to transfer every time; but these same files can be
                            > transferred via other ftp methods. So this IS repeatable, and I have
                            > detailed
                            > this to techsupport, but have not received a call back since 1/22/09. So I
                            > have
                            > done everything that you have said, and once again I find a user here
                            > posting
                            > something which does not contain a solution to my problem. If you don't
                            > have a
                            > solution please don't post. Its really quite simple.
                            >