3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 11:58 AM by Applied CD

Printing all sprites in an LDM, including those outside the crop?

Applied CD Level 1
      Thanks for all the help so far. I’m not sure where to begin on this one…

I’ve got a cropped LDM sprite which I’m essentially treating as a document object. The user can drag various items into the LDM, arrange those items, then hopefully print. The “document” is scrolled by shuffling the sprites within the LDM. At some point the user will want to print the document which means I must print all sprites in the LDM, not just those that happen to be showing on stage at the current scroll position. At first glance I thought I might be able to switch the framing property from crop to scale then print the stage using Print-O-Matic, unfortunately it appears the only playback property of an LDM that can be tested or set is the scriptEnable property. If I were using an MIAW instead of an LDM I could easily scale the drawRect but MIAWs introduce far more problems in this instance than they solve. Anyone have an idea for an approach?

PS: I forgot to mention that the LDM sprites may be rotated as well as scaled. This prevents a simple interation using drawPicture from being a solution. Also, the majority of sprite members are vector based SWFs
        • 1. Printing all sprites in an LDM, including those outside the crop?
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          If you are dragging items into the LDM, then I assume that the Stage shares a cast with the LDM. In this case is there any reason why it must be an LDM? Why not use a filmLoop? Here's a neat trick:

vFilmLoop = member(5)
          new(#filmLoop, vFilmLoop)
          vFilmLoop.media = the score

And conversely:

the score = vFilmLoop.media

You could use this to place the items inside the filmLoop, so that you can use its rect to crop the view port, and then make the Stage big enough to show all the items in the filmLoop, set the score to the media of the filmLoop, and print the Stage. As soon as you've done that, you restore the original score, and hey presto, your filmLoop is back in its view port again.

If you can handle my verbose Director 5 newbie Lingo, you might have some fun with this article:
          Interactive filmLoops.
          • 2. Re: Printing all sprites in an LDM, including those outside the crop?
            Applied CD Level 1
            Thanks James. You’re right, the main movie and LDM share a cast of parts. There’s no reason why the document object has to be an LDM. I was hoping the LDM would offer me a layer of abstraction, the goal was to create an API for window management (scrolling) and object manipulation (place, delete, move, group, rotate, etc…) but at this point the division of labor between the main movie and LDM is less clean than I wanted. I’ll look into film loops and see if it offers a better solution than LDMs.

If I have to stay with LDMs it should be possible to write a transform handler that scales and translates all sprites to fit on stage, print the stage, then put them back. It sounds messy but for now that’s my only idea if I stay with LDMs.
            • 3. Re: Printing all sprites in an LDM, including those outside the crop?
              Applied CD Level 1
              Hey James,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. This project went cold but it’s back again and printing the oversized LDM is still an issue.

The ability to scale a film loop would provide a solution to printing, however, if I switch from an LDM to an interactive film loop is there some sort of document object model or communication (like tell) that will allow me to manipulate sprites (mostly loc and rot) within the loop? I read through your very informative tutorial and I noticed you move objects by shifting the reg point or rect of the cast member rather than changing the loc of sprites in the loop. Cool trick but what happens if the cast members are models dynamically assigned to sprite channels as the user throws these objects onto the stage? Wouldn’t modifying the member would move every instance of that member, not just a specific sprite?

Bob Gallo