5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2006 7:24 AM by Newsgroup_User

Hidden Hit Counter

Ross_B
      I am going to have two versions of my site (a flash version and an html version) and i would like to keep track of how many people visit each one. My thought is that i would set up a hidden hit counter on the first page (where the user will choose to enter the flash or HTML version) and then set a second hit counter up on the first page of the html site. This way i would be able to figure out how many people are actually looking at each version. It could be as simple as having the hit counter hidden everwhere accept for somewhere in the code so i could just open the source every day or week to see the numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
        • 1. Re: Hidden Hit Counter
          Level 7
          There is no need for a "hit counter" as your host already keeps log files of
          your traffic (hopefully). If your host provides you with a Control Panel,
          open that and see if you see anything for "Logs."

--
          Shane H
          shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com
          http://www.avenuedesigners.com

=============================================
          Proud GAWDS Member
          http://www.gawds.org/showmember.php?memberid=1495

Delivering accessible websites to all ...
          =============================================

"Ross B" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e6a0m2$pot$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am going to have two versions of my site (a flash version and an html
          > version) and i would like to keep track of how many people visit each one.
          > My
          > thought is that i would set up a hidden hit counter on the first page
          > (where
          > the user will choose to enter the flash or HTML version) and then set a
          > second
          > hit counter up on the first page of the html site. This way i would be
          > able to
          > figure out how many people are actually looking at each version. It could
          > be
          > as simple as having the hit counter hidden everwhere accept for somewhere
          > in
          > the code so i could just open the source every day or week to see the
          > numbers.
          > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Hidden Hit Counter
            Level 7
            On Thu 08 Jun 2006 04:22:04p, Shane H wrote in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> There is no need for a "hit counter" as your host already keeps log
            > files of your traffic (hopefully). If your host provides you with a
            > Control Panel, open that and see if you see anything for "Logs."

And if you can't, find a new host.
            • 3. Re: Hidden Hit Counter
              Ross_B Level 1
              Shane,

I am currently hosting my site using Network Solutions, and they do have the tracking capability. It doesnt keep the best records because the closest it gets to tracking how many people view a page it the hits. The tech rep told me that every time a user goes to my main page, it logs 2 hits ( because i have a logo and an enter button). The next page has even more images on it so it makes it extremely hard to figure out how many hits are on the page. I need something really simple that just counts the users once per page. Not multiple times because there are multiple hits on each page. If you could help that would be great. Thanks
              • 4. Re: Hidden Hit Counter
                Level 7
                On Thu 08 Jun 2006 05:41:28p, Ross B wrote in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> I am currently hosting my site using Network Solutions, and they do
                > have the tracking capability. It doesnt keep the best records because
                > the closest it gets to tracking how many people view a page it the
                > hits. The tech rep told me that every time a user goes to my main
                > page, it logs 2 hits ( because i have a logo and an enter button). The
                > next page has even more images on it so it makes it extremely hard to
                > figure out how many hits are on the page. I need something really
                > simple that just counts the users once per page. Not multiple times
                > because there are multiple hits on each page. If you could help that
                > would be great.

There are a number of programs out there, some server based and some
                standalone, which will do what you want. Your host may already provide
                one or another as part of your hosting package.

http://www.google.com/search?q=logfile+analyzer

If you want to learn more about server logs:

http://www.google.com/search?q=common+logfile+format

This one looks good:

http://www.bacuslabs.com/WsvlCLF.html
                • 5. Re: Hidden Hit Counter
                  Level 7

"Ross B" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:e6a5i8$2j2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Shane,
                  >
                  > I am currently hosting my site using Network Solutions, and they do have
                  > the
                  > tracking capability. It doesnt keep the best records because the closest
                  > it
                  > gets to tracking how many people view a page it the hits. The tech rep
                  > told me
                  > that every time a user goes to my main page, it logs 2 hits ( because i
                  > have a
                  > logo and an enter button).

actually, no, it would be at least 3 hits. You also have to count the "page"
                  itself. are there Include files? more hits.

> I need
                  > something really simple that just counts the users once per page. Not
                  > multiple
                  > times because there are multiple hits on each page. If you could help
                  > that
                  > would be great. Thanks

you need to get some log analysis software. http://www.nihuo.com/ is not
                  bad, especially for the price.