4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 10:12 AM by Ansury

Cairngorm already dead?

Hello mates, I've just started with Flex a week ago. I encountered Cairngorm framework while browsing Flex 3 documentation. It seemed interesting and I started studying it, but what happened, I discovered that last Release of the framework (2.2.1) is almost 1.5 year old and it maybe even doesn't fully support Flex 3. Whoow, I read Cairngorm is really important for Flex community elsewhere, but now it seems deprecated to me. What is the truth, is Cairngorm MVC framework death? THX for whatever answer. Jan
        • 1. Re: Cairngorm already dead?
          Cairngorm Framework is not dead, it is still very much alive. It is fully supported in Flex 3, any version of Flex for that matter. Why wouldn't it be supported, Cairngorm is a framework for developing projects with some sort of design patterns, it has worked for many years and continues to work till this day. It may not have been updated recently but just like that old saying,
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

-Jonnie Spratley
          http://jonniespratley.com
          • 2. Re: Cairngorm already dead?
            If your looking for a framework that is updated more regularly with new features, check out FlashMVC (http://www.jadbox.com/flashmvc/). It's also great for new people getting into MVC and works well for larger application development.
            • 3. Re: Cairngorm already dead?
              Robin Hilliard
              Jonathan, you might also want to mention that you are the author of FlashMVC when you make statements like this.

As I said on Flex Coders, I'm still waiting for the day people answer a question like this without plugging their own framework at Cairngorm's expense...
              • 4. Re: Cairngorm already dead?
                Ansury Level 3

Robin Hilliard wrote:

Jonathan, you might also want to mention that you are the author of FlashMVC when you make statements like this.

As I said on Flex Coders, I'm still waiting for the day people answer a question like this without plugging their own framework at Cairngorm's expense...

Heh, that's a bad sign for Cairngorm, isn't it?