9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 4:11 PM by jcbluesman

Misbehaving behaviors

jcbluesman
      So I have these three tabs (on the Income Monitoring page) to which I've attached multiple behaviors. One behavior is a simple rollover to highlight the tab onMouseOver, the other is an onClick behavior to show the proper slice in the big slice on the page when clicked. When I preview the page in my browser, the rollover seems to work just fine at first. However, once I click on one of the tabs, things start to go wrong. For example, after the page first loads, just run the mouse over the tabs and the highlighting works fine. But then click on the Graphs tab and you'll see that it will show the proper graphs state in the slice below, but as soon as you move the mouse away from the tab, the first image restores (from the data_grid state). Yes, I have made sure the 'Restore image onMouseOut' option is NOT selected, but it's still doing it. And once this starts happening, the highlighting of the tabs starts to misbehave and they don't always restore onMouseOut even though in that behavior, I have the option selected because they should in that case.

Link to .png file

As always, any help is very much appreciated.

Update: This description of the page is old. I now have just two tabs on the page, Data Grid and Graphs. The .png file has been updated. The next post is the more current description.

• 1. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
          jcbluesman Level 1
          Bump.
          • 2. Misbehaving behaviors
            jcbluesman Level 1
            It seems this may be a possible bug. I have a slice with two behaviors attached to it. One behavior is a Swap Image behavior that causes the appearance of the tab under it to change onMouseOver. This one is set to Restore Image on onMouseOut. The other behavior attached to this slice is also a Swap Image behavior that will swap an image in a different slice onClick (disjoint rollover). This one is NOT set to Restore Image onMouseOut.

The problem is that even though I have not selected the Restore Image onMouseOut option in the disjoint rollover it is still restoring the image in the target slice when I move the mouse away from the trigger slice (over the Graphs tab). If I delete the other rollover and have just this disjoint rollover behavior attached it works. As soon as I add the other behavior that swaps the tab images under the same slice, it affects this disjoint rollover and it will Restore Image onMouseOut in the target slice.

If anyone would like to take a look at this and let me know what you think, that would great and I wouldn't have to keep having this conversation all by myself. :-)

The link in my original post now links to a newer version of the file.
            • 3. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
              Level 7
              jcbluesman wrote:
              > It seems this may be a possible bug. I have a slice with two behaviors attached
              > to it. One behavior is a Swap Image behavior that causes the appearance of the
              > tab under it to change onMouseOver. This one is set to Restore Image on
              > onMouseOut.

That's the problem. The restore command always overrides the command not
              to for the same slice.

--
              Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
              --------------------------------------------------------------
              • 4. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
                jcbluesman Level 1
                That's not cool. Is this a bug or is it by design? Is there a way to work around it?
                • 5. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
                  jcbluesman Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                  jcbluesman wrote:
                  > It seems this may be a possible bug. I have a slice with two behaviors attached
                  > to it. One behavior is a Swap Image behavior that causes the appearance of the
                  > tab under it to change onMouseOver. This one is set to Restore Image on
                  > onMouseOut.

That's the problem. The restore command always overrides the command not
                  to for the same slice.

--

Hi Linda,

Do you know if this is a bug or if it's by design?

Jim
                  • 6. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
                    Level 7
                    jcbluesman wrote:

> Hi Linda,
                    >
                    > Do you know if this is a bug or if it's by design?

It has worked that way in every version of Fireworks since 3 as I recall
                    it. You should be using Dreamweaver for creating interactive elements
                    rather than Fireworks. Fireworks generated code is appropriate for
                    prototyping web pages, but not for published ones.

--
                    • 7. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
                      jcbluesman Level 1
                      Linda, the last time you told me to use Dreamweaver in another thread I told you I'm creating a prototype, not a website but you never responded. Nothing I'm doing is going to be published. I'm prototyping, I'm not building a web site. I'm trying to do things that Fireworks was specifically designed for.
                      • 8. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
                        Level 7
                        jcbluesman wrote:
                        > Linda, the last time you told me to use Dreamweaver in another thread I told
                        > you I'm creating a prototype, not a website but you never responded. Nothing
                        > I'm doing is going to be published. I'm prototyping, I'm not building a web
                        > site. I'm trying to do things that Fireworks was specifically designed for.

I cannot tell by your PNG file what you are trying to do. If I look at
                        the states, I'm not seeing any change of the graphics for the tabs to
                        create the different rollover states. In state 1, I don't see any
                        behaviors attached to the slices over the tabs.

--
                        • 9. Re: Misbehaving behaviors
                          jcbluesman Level 1
                          On the income monitoring page, I'm trying to make two things happen; 1) make the data grid and the graphs tabs behave like the tabs on the master page do when you rollover them (simple image swap onMouseOver) and 2) give them a second behavior that swaps images in the big slice when clicked on so that when I click on the Data Grid tab, the data grid appears in the big slice area and if I click on the Graphs tab, the graphs image appears in that area.

About the states for these buttons, I created the Over states for them by double-clicking on the tab to edit the instance. That's what I did for the other tabs on master page and they seem to be working the way I'd like. The buttons are from the Common Library and I believe they are 3-state buttons. If you double click the Data Grid tab (for example) you can see the 2 states there.

I hope this helps and thanks.