7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2009 10:13 AM by taneojala

FlexBuilder web service consumer

taneojala
      I'm using well-tested web services that I imported into FlexBuilder. Everything goes smoothly, but occasionally I face a problem of not receiving anything back from the WS. This seems to be some kind of a configuration issue, because exactly the same code works on a different computer. It also works when I publish the Flex application on the Apache server (from the Project menu) and run it from there, but not "locally" making testing very slow and debugging impossible.

Anybody any idea on this? Thanks
        • 1. Re: FlexBuilder web service consumer
          Level 7

"taneojala" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:glktlu$j3p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm using well-tested web services that I imported into FlexBuilder.
          > Everything
          > goes smoothly, but occasionally I face a problem of not receiving anything
          > back
          > from the WS. This seems to be some kind of a configuration issue, because
          > exactly the same code works on a different computer. It also works when I
          > publish the Flex application on the Apache server (from the Project menu)
          > and
          > run it from there, but not "locally" making testing very slow and
          > debugging
          > impossible.
          >
          > Anybody any idea on this? Thanks

Locally as on localhost? Locally as in inside your project directory? Or
          something else?

• 2. Re: FlexBuilder web service consumer
            taneojala Level 1
            Locally as on localhost? Locally as in inside your project directory? Or
            something else?

I have a local Apache (on localhost) which I use to publish my work to a colleague. I have problems with running/debugging the application inside the project. I'm more and more convinced that this is some kind of configuration issue, because this morning (after a reboot) it again works normally. Maybe this will disappear when I go onto a real server on a separate machine, but it sure is annoying :-(

• 3. Re: FlexBuilder web service consumer
              Level 7

news:glmgch$hs6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Locally as on localhost? Locally as in inside your project directory? Or
              > something else?
              >
              > I have a local Apache (on localhost) which I use to publish my work to a
              > colleague. I have problems with running/debugging the application inside
              > the
              > project. I'm more and more convinced that this is some kind of
              > configuration
              > issue, because this morning (after a reboot) it again works normally.
              > Maybe
              > this will disappear when I go onto a real server on a separate machine,
              > but it
              > sure is annoying :-(

OK, is the Apache the local you're talking about that's giving you a
              problem, or not? Your answer provided no clarification on this point. I'm
              trying to help you figure out if this is a security sandbox problem, a
              crossdomain problem, or something else, but you're not giving me much to
              work with.

• 4. Re: FlexBuilder web service consumer
                taneojala Level 1
                Yes, Apache is running on my localhost. Flex project deployed in Apache's htdocs also works fine with webservices. The problem appears "randomly" when running from FlexBuilder. I received the security sandbox violation message and created crossdomain.xml, but I have seen the message since that also - "randomly" again.

At the moment things are working so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I was only wondering if there is something wrong with my FlexBuilder configuration, project settings or whatever because I am quite new with FB.
                • 5. Re: FlexBuilder web service consumer
                  taneojala Level 1
                  Yes, Apache is running on my localhost. Flex project deployed in Apache's htdocs also works fine with webservices. The problem appears "randomly" when running from FlexBuilder. I received the security sandbox violation message and created crossdomain.xml, but I have seen the message since that also - "randomly" again.

At the moment things are working so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I was only wondering if there is something wrong with my FlexBuilder configuration, project settings or whatever because I am quite new with FB.
                  • 6. Re: FlexBuilder web service consumer
                    Level 7

news:glqbm2$h0b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Yes, Apache is running on my localhost. Flex project deployed in Apache's
                    > htdocs also works fine with webservices. The problem appears "randomly"
                    > when
                    > running from FlexBuilder. I received the security sandbox violation
                    > message and
                    > created crossdomain.xml, but I have seen the message since that also -
                    > "randomly" again.

You're STILL not being clear. When you say that it's running from Flex
                    Builder, is the swf file that is running physically located in the bin-debug
                    directory next to your src directory, in your www directory in your Apache
                    installation, or somewhere else?

If it's in the www directory and you test from Flex Builder, do you see
                    localhost in the browser's address bar, or the file path to the folder?

I think the very fact that you aren't understanding my question is the
                    reason you're not able to figure out what the actual problem is. You need
                    to understand how different directories and protocols can give you different
                    sandbox results, and clearly you're not even thinking about where your files
                    physically _are_, much less how that could relate to your problem.

• 7. Re: FlexBuilder web service consumer
                      taneojala Level 1
                      Oh, well. Thanks for the patience anyway

quote:

I think the very fact that you aren't understanding my question is the
                      reason you're not able to figure out what the actual problem is. You need
                      to understand how different directories and protocols can give you different
                      sandbox results, and clearly you're not even thinking about where your files
                      physically _are_, much less how that could relate to your problem.

Yes, that's why I asked for help. I still don't know the reason, but the problem hasn't been bugging me since a few days ago. Hope it remains that way. IMHO this seems like an unnecessary complication for a FlexBuilder rookie.