5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 12:50 PM by Peter Grainge

Project Corruption

sbbwriter

Upon opening a RoboHTML project I get a "RoboHelp Must Close" message. From that point, there is no way I can open the project. Everything was going fine the previous work day. I saved and closed down the project as normal. The next day it's no go. I have had to resort to backups or (worst case) recreate the whole project. The only thing I can think of as a cause is the importation of a few topics from another project. However, all the links worked fine and everything looked good the last time I saved and closed the project. What gives?
        • 1. Re: Project Corruption
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum.

Is your project on your local drive (correct) or on a network drive (wrong)?

Have you tried deleting the CPD file? If using RH7, just delete it and reopen the project. For earlier versions, see Opening Projects on my site.

• 2. Re: Project Corruption
            ginterd Level 1
            I have recently started to experience the same problem. I have been running in RH7 for about 3 months now with the same projects that I converted from RH6 with no issues, all of my projects were created, stored and operated locally (good), however lately I have not been able to open my projects on the first try. I have attempted to delete the .CPD file and still no go. I did notice that when I am loading my project in RH7, RH is creating an MS Access Lock Database file, .LDB, which reading into previous postings about this file type might be the problem, however even upon deleting both the .LDB/.CPD files and re-opening the project it still crashes with the "RoboHelp must close" message. I do eventually get the project to open after repeating this process about 4-5x's however it is a royal pain and extremely frustrating.

The only change to my operating system was that my company did recently upgrading my MS Office application from Office 2000 to Office 2003 about 2 weeks ago (as my company is always years before the times when it comes to upgrades, I had to fight tooth and nail just to get to RH7 ). I could not find any previous postings showing any compatability isues, but could this be possibly causing the problem?
            • 3. Re: Project Corruption
              The CPD file is a Microsoft Access database and it is the Access runtime that creates the LDB. It normally deletes it when RH is closed. That might mean you are deleting it while RH is running and the CPD is in use. If that is the case, then problems will likely ensue.

The first step is to narrow down whether the problem is project related or installation related. Open one of the supplied samples and undertake some of the actions you undertake in your project, adding content, generating outputs etc. Does the sample have problems?

• 4. Re: Project Corruption
                ginterd Level 1
                Thanks Peter,

I just opened the Customer Care sample project that came with RH7 with out error, made some typical modifications to it, generated, and closed it. Then upon re-opening it I received the dreadded "Adobe RoboHelp 7 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvience." So I'm assuming this would lean more towards an installation issue?

Dan
                • 5. Re: Project Corruption
                  It does look that way. Don't forget you need admin rights when you install.