14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2006 2:03 PM by jcfay

DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help

hja_nl
      When I use help, DW crashes. If I open the *.chm files in program files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Help\, they open normal, any suggestions?

Already renamed the Configuration folder.

Greetings,
      Henk
        • 1. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
          Level 7
          This isn't a known issue, but see if this helps:

Troubleshooting Dreamweaver for Windows
          http://www.adobe.com/go/15481

David Alcala
          Adobe Product Support

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:10:46 +0000 (UTC), "hja_nl"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>When I use help, DW crashes. If I open the *.chm files in program
          >files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Help\, they open normal, any suggestions?
          >
          > Already renamed the Configuration folder.
          >
          > Greetings,
          > Henk
          • 2. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
            pvted
            I'm experiencing the same issue with DW 8.0.2. I just downloaded the trial and I've repeatedly tried to access the help menu while in different states within DW and DW crashes each and every time. Please help.
            • 3. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
              Noonski Level 1
              For both user having this problem.
              What is the Language version you are using for the program and OS?
              • 4. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                pvted Level 1
                English and Windows XP. Thanks.
                • 5. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                  hja_nl Level 1
                  Problem is solved.
                  Since rebuilding the configuration folder didn't help I did a clean install of Windows.
                  First thought it had to do with the extensions I use, but that seems not to be the case since everthing works ok now.
                  • 6. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                    jcfay
                    I've been having the same problem, with the trial, with both the standard downloaded version (I believe it's 8.0) and when updating to 8.0.2 as well. I've been using the online livedocs in the meantime, but would like to resolve the problem. Like these chaps, I'm also running XP with the English version. Unlike hja_nl, however, I have NO idea what "renaming the configuration folder" does, and I REALLY don't want to reinstall windows. It seems like a few people are having problems with this.

Anyone have any suggestions? And for pvted, if you haven't found them yet, the help files are available online - http://livedocs.macromedia.com/dreamweaver/8/index.html

Thanks everyone - Jon
                    • 7. DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                      Noonski Level 1
                      Hi Guys.
                      As hja_nl has stated only a fresh install is the only known solution of fixing this directly.
                      The only other workaround would be to make a shortcut to the helpfiles and placing it in the startmenu or quickstart.
                      In most configurations it would reside here.
                      C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Help\dw8help.chm

Reading al you notes it doesn't seem to be language related and changing regional settings don't fix it. But it is still something to check for anyone who enters this topic.

Also for the record it would be of great help to know which processor type is being used, to compare.
                      • 8. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                        jcfay Level 1
                        quote:

Originally posted by: Noonski
                        "The only other workaround would be to make a shortcut to the helpfiles and placing it in the startmenu or quickstart.
                        In most configurations it would reside here.

Also for the record it would be of great help to know which processor type is being used, to compare."

Well, I've decided to just access the files directly (thanks for the location help), or use the online livedocs versions. Once I install the full (non-trial) version in a month or so, I'll see if the problem isn't resolved. Hopefully it will be!

As far as my system specs, they are:
                        Language: English
                        Intel Pentium D 3.00 GHz (dual PCUs)
                        2 GB RAM

The problem is weird in that, for me at least, it has been intermittent, and independent of whether or not I'm running 8.0 or 8.0.2, and even after a fresh uninstall/reinstall of Dreamweaver (I did NOT, however, reinstall windows). Recently, however, it isn't working at all.

Thanks again - Jon
                        • 9. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                          Noonski Level 1
                          At this moment i can tell you that in two of these instances removing Internet Explorer Beta 7 solved this issue.
                          (maybe a re- install will be needed also)
                          I know it's known to Adobe.
                          Please if removing the IE7 Beta solves this issue. Let yourself be heard on this forum so this can be comicated with Adobe Engineering. We need to conform this is IE7 related.
                          • 10. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                            Level 7
                            On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:57:29 +0000 (UTC), "Noonski"

> Please if removing the IE7 Beta solves this issue. Let yourself be heard on
                            >this forum so this can be comicated with Adobe Engineering.

Why do you feel it's necessary to communicate to Adobe about a Microsoft
                            Beta application corrupting the Windows registry? It's up to MS to fix
                            it, not Adobe. The same issue affects other programs, not just Adobe's.

Beta software is Beta for a reason. You should never install Beta
                            software on a production machine.

Gary
                            • 11. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                              pvted Level 1
                              Yes, uninstalling IE 7.0 Beta did the trick. Thanks for the tip. I still have 2 weeks to go on my trial.

My system info:

Processor Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
                              Processor Speed 1.62 GHz
                              Memory (RAM) 1024 MB
                              Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
                              Operating System Version 5.1.2600
                              • 12. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                                Noonski Level 1
                                "Why do you feel it's necessary to communicate to Adobe about a Microsoft
                                Beta application corrupting the Windows registry?"
                                Because i work for Adobe ;)
                                By the way it is possible to install it with the Beta.
                                The fault isn't completely in the Beta IE.
                                You see, if you install windows clean, before ever connecting the network cable install a firewall (DO NOT INSTALL ZONE ALARM 6.5 IF PLANNING ON INSTALLING IE7BETA) and viruscanner. Then connect to the net and run each and every Win update restart untill there is nothing more to update. Then install IE 7 Beta 3. Then install dreamweaver 8.0 (not update version). And then the help files will work they should. I even tried with different security settings. What's even funnier is that most of the bugs that occur with IE Beta 3 do not occur with my fresh and clean installation. So yes it is important to know when this occurs because as you see people will look at Adobe software as being faulty. Which in this case it isn't. So at this point it is still interesting to know some stuff if it is solved or not. Or if it happens when you first install Dreamweaver and then IE7 beta? Which Beta version of IE7 is installed?

Also take note that on a completely patched OS this works. Maybe it's about time to change our view on MS Auto Update.
                                • 13. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                                  Level 7
                                  On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:42:37 +0000 (UTC), "Noonski"

> Because i work for Adobe ;)

<LOL> Okay. However, as I mentioned, the IE7 Beta also corrupts some
                                  registry keys for other non-Adobe applications, like MS Outlook. ;-)
                                  Hopefully, they'll cure it before it goes gold.

Gary
                                  • 14. Re: DW 8.0.2 crashes when using help
                                    jcfay Level 1
                                    Nice sleuthing about the IE7 beta. FYI - I'm running beta 3, the most recent update. After switching to 7, I couldn't take 6 anymore - hate the layout, etc. So I'm just gonna deal with not being able to access the help files through the menu, and I'll access them directly otherwise. Hopefully IE7 beta 3 won't pose any other problems for the software!

Thanks for everyone's help. Appreciate it - Jon