2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 9:48 AM by (Steve_Breinberg)

Patch Review Process

Vera Carr Level 2
      Hi all,

As expressed in the feedback seminar we had a few weeks ago, we were falling behind on reviewing our patches, but we have recognized this and are committed to processing the patches in a timely manner.

As you may have seen from the Open Iteration Meeting, theres a lot of work going on right now. Therefore to support the much needed forward progress on Gumbo (and avoid painful context-switching) wed like to take an approach to patches similar to how we deal with bugs. Since were on an iteration basis, the first 4 weeks of the iteration is devoted to feature development and the last 2 week to bugs fixing. Well be allotting time in the 2 weeks of bug fixing for reviewing patches as well. So if you see a lull in your patch being addressed, dont worry, it should get reviewed when the next bug fixing period comes around.

If you strenuously object to this plan and have some different suggestions for how to approach this issue were certainly open to them.

Vera
        • 1. Re: Patch Review Process
          Jcheng2334
          This works well for me--I'm patient. :)

However, under this patch review plan, I do have a question. Since the head revision on trunk is under continuous work by the Adobe Flex team, what version would be the best for community-contributed patches to be generated against?

Right now, I'm first verifying that my patches haven't already been implemented on trunk, and then generating them against the latest milestone release build (currently 3.2.0.3958) for submission.

Patching against milestone releases is nice on my side since they can easily be applied to existing projects typically using milestone SDK releases, but I'm wondering if this practice works best for you guys at Adobe.

If it'd help, I'd be happy to submit patches against the current head revision on trunk (as of the time when the patch is generated and submitted, of course) or the last stable build (currently 3.3.0.4852) instead.

What would make everyone's lives easiest?

Thanks,
          Jim
          • 2. Re: Patch Review Process
            <div class=Section1><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>Hi Jim,<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>If the area of code has not changed in the trunk from how it was<br />in 3.x, we&#8217;ll usually apply it to the 3.x branch, *and* we&#8217;ll merge<br />it forward into the trunk.  In that case it&#8217;s best to submit the<br />patch against the latest version 3 build that you can &#8211; head revision in<br />the 3.x branch is ideal (and minimizes the chances that your patch has gotten<br />out of date), but we&#8217;ll look at it if it&#8217;s against a recent stable<br />build or milestone build as well.<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>If the area of code *has* changed enough that it&#8217;s not<br />obvious whether the same patch works in both 3.x and the trunk, then it&#8217;s<br />usually best to submit for the trunk (again, the more current the revision the<br />better).<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>Thanks for contributing!<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";<br />color:#1F497D'>Steve<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><a name="_MailEndCompose"><span style='font-size:11.0pt;<br />font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497D'><o:p> </o:p></span></a></p><br /><br /><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><b><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span></b><span<br />style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Jim Cheng<br />[mailto:member@adobeforums.com] <br><br /><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:19 AM<br><br /><b>To:</b> flexsdk-general@adobeforums.com<br><br /><b>Subject:</b> Re: Patch Review Process<o:p></o:p></span></p><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>A new message was posted by Jim<br />Cheng in <br><br /><br><br /><b>General Discussion</b> --<br><br />  Patch Review Process<br><br /><br><br />This works well for me--I'm patient. :) <br><br /><br><br />However, under this patch review plan, I do have a question. Since the head<br />revision on trunk is under continuous work by the Adobe Flex team, what version<br />would be the best for community-contributed patches to be generated against? <br><br /><br><br />Right now, I'm first verifying that my patches haven't already been implemented<br />on trunk, and then generating them against the latest milestone release build<br />(currently 3.2.0.3958) for submission. <br><br /><br><br />Patching against milestone releases is nice on my side since they can easily be<br />applied to existing projects typically using milestone SDK releases, but I'm<br />wondering if this practice works best for you guys at Adobe. <br><br /><br><br />If it'd help, I'd be happy to submit patches against the current head revision<br />on trunk (as of the time when the patch is generated and submitted, of course)<br />or the last stable build (currently 3.3.0.4852) instead. <br><br /><br><br />What would make everyone's lives easiest? ! <br><br /><br><br />Thanks, <br><br />Jim <o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /><div class=MsoNormal><br /><br /><hr size=2 width=200 style='width:150.0pt' align=left><br /><br /></div><br /><br /><p class=MsoNormal style='margin-bottom:12.0pt'>View/reply at <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.59b7fa93/0">Patch Review Process</a><br><br />Replies by email are OK.<br><br />Use the <a<br />href="http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?280@@.59b7fa93!folder=.3c060fa1">unsubscribe</a>< br />form to cancel your email subscription.<o:p></o:p></p><br /><br /></div>