9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2004 2:56 AM by (werner_de_klerk)

Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server

Hello all,
      Could the wonderful readers of this forum help me get the "E-Mail Access" part of Element Server working? I've read the Getting Started guide and Configuration Reference document; which explains to update certain fields in the aaes.xml configuration file. I input the address for our POP3 server in the "host" field, input the username and password into the appropriate fields, and input the domain in the "accept" field. But it is not working. If I send an email to the address, nothing happens. Element Server never realizes there is an email waiting. When does Element Server know when to check the email inbox? And, how does Element Server check the email box.

Side note: The webui part of Elements Server is working. It successfully converts the submitted file, and successfully emails it back to the user

So I don't think the problem is with the email server. It seems Element Server is simply not "checking" for new messages.

Side question: Does the "accept" field permit the use of a wildcard? For example, if I enter "*", will it accept email from all domains?
        • 1. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
          Level 1
          You'll need to configure both the <destination> and <source> areas of the aaes.xml, the former with SMTP info, the latter with POP3 info. In addition, add "email" to the <slot> section:<br /> <sources>in,webservice,webui, email</sources>
          • 2. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
            I have the same problem
            Web and mapped folders are working.\

We only have SMTP no pop3??!!??
            What to do??
            • 3. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
              Level 1
              hi,<br />this is my config,<br />Any out there that can tell me why "email" will not work?<br />All the other services are working.<br />Thanx<br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><br /><client destination="out" staging="$(root)/data/staging" jobconfig="default" delay="3" retryMax="3"><br /><br />    <jobconfig name="default" path="$(root)/cfg/jobdefaults.xml"/><br /><br />          <service pingdelay="60" reboottimeout="30" reboottimespan="600" numberofreboots="3"/><br /><br /><source name="in"  type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/in" preserve="true"<br />            preservedestination="preserved" preservefaildestination="failed"<br />            purgetime="3600" purgedestination="purged"/><br /><br /><source name="webservice" type="soap" path="$(root)/data/soap/in" destination="webservice"/><br />    <br /><source name="email" type="smtp" path="$(root)/data/email/in" host="unmik-smtp"<br />            accept="unmikonline.org" destination="email" maxfilesize ="10MB" timeout="2" throttle="60"/><br /><br /><source name="webui" type="http" path="$(root)/data/webui/in" maxfilesize ="10MB"<br />            destination="webui"/><br /><br />    <destination name="out" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/out"/><br />    <destination name="failed" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/failed"/><br />    <destination name="preserved" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/preserved"/><br />    <destination name="purged" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/purged"/><br />    <destination name="webservice" type="soap" path="$(root)/data/soap/out"/><br />    <destination name="email" type="smtp" path="$(root)/data/email/out" host="unmik-smtp"<br />                 returnname="unmik-printers" returnaddress="unmik-print-server@unmikonline.org"<br />                 recipient="sender" subjectheader="RE: " defaultsubject="Your AAES E-mail Request"                 maxfilesize="10MB" timeout="2"/><br />    <destination name="webui" type="smtp" path="$(root)/data/webui/out" host="unmik-smtp"<br />                 returnname="unmik-printers.unmik.dpko.un.org" returnaddress="unmik-print-server@unmikonline.org"<br />                 recipient="sender" defaultsubject="Your PDF Request brought to you by UNMIK CITS"<br />                 maxfilesize="10MB" timeout="2"/><br /><br />    <validator name="doc" type="word"/><br />    <validator name="xls" type="excel"/><br />    <validator name="ppt" type="powerpoint"/><br />    <validator name="ps"  type="ps"/><br />    <validator name="eps" type="eps"/><br />    <validator name="rtf" type="rtf"/><br />    <validator name="txt" type="txt"/><br />    <validator name="ascii" type="ascii"/><br />    <validator name="tif" type="tif"/><br />    <validator name="jpg" type="jpg"/><br />    <validator name="bmp" type="bmp"/><br />    <validator name="gif" type="gif"/><br />    <validator name="psd" type="psd"/><br />    <validator name="wpd" type="wpd"/><br />    <validator name="vsd" type="visio"/><br />    <validator name="mpp" type="msproject"/><br />    <validator name="dwg" type="autocad"/><br />    <validator name="pdf" type="pdf"/><br /><br />    <slot name="slot-01"<br />          validator="doc,xls,ppt,ps,eps,rtf,txt,ascii,tif,jpg,bmp,gif,psd,wpd,vsd,mpp,dwg,pdf"><br />      <sources>in,webservice,webui,email</sources><br />    </slot><br /><br />    <template name="smtp-success" path="$(root)/template/smtp-success.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-failure" path="$(root)/template/smtp-failure.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-failure-attachsize" path="$(root)/template/smtp-failure-attachsize.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-failure-convertsize" path="$(root)/template/smtp-failure-convertsize.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-note-cnv-reminder" path="$(root)/template/smtp-note-cnv-reminder.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-note-cnv-err" path="$(root)/template/smtp-note-cnv-err.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="webui-help"   path="$(root)/template/webui-help.html"/><br />    <template name="webui-result" path="$(root)/template/webui-result.html"/><br />    <template name="webui-submit" path="$(root)/template/webui-submit.html"/><br /><br /></client>
              • 4. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
                Level 1
                Werner - What email app do you have installed on the server? Have you set that email app up and seen if it can send and receive emails? If you can get your email app working, you could just just the same settings there in AES. Sometimes SMTP and POP3 servers have the same name. I'm not an email expert, but I don't see how AES will work without a pop3 server, as it doesn't support IMAP (is it IMAP you are using instead of pop3?)

If you have AES 6.0.1 or later, you need to additional set the email password at the command line. There are instructions on how to do this in the GetStarted.pdf (pgs 19-20).

Are you getting errors in the log? If so what is/are the errors?
                • 5. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
                  Level 1
                  Thanx I will answer as folows:<br />1) No e-mail app on the server (I have however in the meantime installed lotus notes, but no pleasure.<br />2) The webui part of Elements Server is working. It successfully converts the submitted file, and successfully emails it back to the user, on the Lotus Notes App.<br />3)We have an SMTP Server that usually works with 3rd party apps.<br /><br />I have used yahoo pop3 but I still can not enter the password in the dos prompt<br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><br /><client destination="out" staging="$(root)/data/staging" jobconfig="default" delay="3" retryMax="3"><br /><br />    <jobconfig name="default" path="$(root)/cfg/jobdefaults.xml"/><br /><br />          <service pingdelay="60" reboottimeout="30" reboottimespan="600" numberofreboots="3"/><br /><br />    <source name="in"  type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/in" preserve="true"<br />            preservedestination="preserved" preservefaildestination="failed"<br />            purgetime="3600" purgedestination="purged"/><br />    <source name="webservice" type="soap" path="$(root)/data/soap/in" destination="webservice"/><br /><br />    <source name="email" type="pop3" path="$(root)/data/email/in" host="pop.mail.yahoo.com"<br /><br />            accept="yahoo.com,unmikonline.org" destination="email" maxfilesize ="10MB" timeout="2" throttle="60"/><br /><br />    <source name="webui" type="http" path="$(root)/data/webui/in" maxfilesize ="10MB"<br />            destination="webui"/><br /><br />    <destination name="out" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/out"/><br />    <destination name="failed" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/failed"/><br />    <destination name="preserved" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/watchedfolder/preserved"/><br />    <destination name="purged" type="folder" path="$(root)/data/purged"/><br />    <destination name="webservice" type="soap" path="$(root)/data/soap/out"/><br />    <destination name="email" type="smtp" path="$(root)/data/email/out" host="unmik-printer-server@unmikonline.org"<br />                 returnname="Adobe Acrobat Elements Server" returnaddress="administrator@company.com"<br />                 recipient="sender" subjectheader="RE: " defaultsubject="Your AAES E-mail Request"                 maxfilesize="10MB" timeout="2"/><br />    <destination name="webui" type="smtp" path="$(root)/data/webui/out" host="unmik-smtp"<br />                 returnname="Adobe Acrobat Elements Server" returnaddress="unmik-printer-server@unmikonline.org"<br />                 recipient="sender" defaultsubject="Your AAES Web Request"<br />                 maxfilesize="10MB" timeout="2"/><br /><br />    <validator name="doc" type="word"/><br />    <validator name="xls" type="excel"/><br />    <validator name="ppt" type="powerpoint"/><br />    <validator name="ps"  type="ps"/><br />    <validator name="eps" type="eps"/><br />    <validator name="rtf" type="rtf"/><br />    <validator name="txt" type="txt"/><br />    <validator name="ascii" type="ascii"/><br />    <validator name="tif" type="tif"/><br />    <validator name="jpg" type="jpg"/><br />    <validator name="bmp" type="bmp"/><br />    <validator name="gif" type="gif"/><br />    <validator name="psd" type="psd"/><br />    <validator name="wpd" type="wpd"/><br />    <validator name="vsd" type="visio"/><br />    <validator name="mpp" type="msproject"/><br />    <validator name="dwg" type="autocad"/><br />    <validator name="pdf" type="pdf"/><br /><br />    <slot name="slot-01"<br />          validator="doc,xls,ppt,ps,eps,rtf,txt,ascii,tif,jpg,bmp,gif,psd,wpd,vsd,mpp,dwg,pdf"><br />      <sources>in,webservice,webui,email</sources><br />    </slot><br /><br />    <template name="smtp-success" path="$(root)/template/smtp-success.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-failure" path="$(root)/template/smtp-failure.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-failure-attachsize" path="$(root)/template/smtp-failure-attachsize.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-failure-convertsize" path="$(root)/template/smtp-failure-convertsize.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-note-cnv-reminder" path="$(root)/template/smtp-note-cnv-reminder.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="smtp-note-cnv-err" path="$(root)/template/smtp-note-cnv-err.tmpl"/><br />    <template name="webui-help"   path="$(root)/template/webui-help.html"/><br />    <template name="webui-result" path="$(root)/template/webui-result.html"/><br />    <template name="webui-submit" path="$(root)/template/webui-submit.html"/><br /><br /></client>
                  • 6. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
                    Level 1
                    What kind of email server do you have? (like Exchange Server)? I'm not sure how yahoo would work in this situation, unless that is what your mail server uses somehow.

What are you typing in at the DOS prompt? What error do you receive?
                    • 7. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
                      Level 1
                      Hi
                      We have a Domino Lotus Notes Server
                      I type the following:

AcrobatElementsServer pop3 pop.mail.yahoo.com koos pass pass

(where pass represents the password and koos my login name)

Once I type that into c:\
                      the system replies that there is no such command!

The manual does not say at which command prompt.
                      Any ideas??
                      • 8. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
                        Level 1
                        At the command prompt, you first need to navigate to the folder that contains AcrobatElementsServer.exe.

For example, type:
                        cd c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Elements Server\bin

and hit Enter. Your prompt should change to show that you are in the bin folder. Then type the command.

Also, make sure to type the .exe on the end of AcrobatElementsServer.exe

And the user name will be the same user name that you type into the email program to check the email.

I am not familiar with Lotus Notes Server. I have installed MS Office on my Elements Server machine, because we want to convert Word and Excel documents with it. Outlook comes with that, and it is the email program we use. If you plan to convert Office documents you may want to install Office and use Outlook for your email.
                        • 9. Re: Help Setting Up E-Mail Access on Elements Server
                          Level 1
                          Hi Alyssa

Thanx a mil

That password part now solved

I created a batch files and excecuted from c prompt:

cd..

Cd\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Elements Server\bin

AcrobatElementsServer.exe pop3 pop.mail.yahoo.com username password password

I will now test the rest

will keep u posted