13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2011 1:45 PM by Chris Honselaar1

AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app

koolawe
      We're using the AIR_Badge (version of 2/25/08 from labs.adobe.com) to install and launch our AIR app from the browser. On the initial install, the "appinstallarg" is not being passed to the app. The app is installed and launched, but it is sent an invokeEvent with null params and no browserInvokeEvent. On subsequent launches, it gets the browserInvokeEvent with the applauncharg from the badge params. (Our applauncharg is the same as our appinstallarg.) Any idea why the appinstallarg is not making it thru and why there is no browserInvokeEvent on the initial installation launch? This is hanging our beta release at the moment. Oscar?
      Thanks
      K.
        • 1. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app
          DDD3000

Hi koolawe,

did you find a solution for your problem? I'm having the same problem. When I start my app from the badge the install/launch parameters are missing.

But when I click on the badge again while the app is already running, the BrowserInvokeEvent comes with all params.

DDDan

• 2. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app
            steven.okennedy

Hi

We have just launched a public AIR app (using AIR 1.5.3 API since 2.0 was still beta throughout our development and test phases) and since the AIR 2.0 runtime has been released we are seeing similar issues to those reported here.

Can someone from Adobe please comment on whether something has changed between 1.5 and 2.0 in the way that InvokeEvents and BrowserInvokeEvents are handled?  We are also seeing other behaviour in this area that we didn't see in 1.5, namely that sometimes mulitple BrowserInvokeEvents are heard from a single user click on the badge, and that the order that BrowserInvokeEvents and InvokeEvents get queued seems to have changed

Regards

Steven

• 3. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app
              chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hi Steven,

We're looking into the issues with BrowserInvokeEvents and will post back soon.

Chris

• 4. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app

I've done more investigation into this issue and we've reproduced the multiple BrowserInvokeEvents.  This has been logged as bug #2662639("2 BrowserInvokeEvents being fired when AIR applications is invoke from web") and #2640681("BrowserInvokeEvent.BROWSER_INVOKE fires twice when app is launched from the browser".)  2640681 has been marked fixed for our upcoming release, but 2662639 is marked "To Test" to verify the behavior has been corrected.

Unfortunately, we've been unable to reproduce the swapped order of the events.  If you can give us any hints to when this occurs, platforms, etc we'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

• 5. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app
                  steven.okennedy Level 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your support on this.  We have found the issue very difficult to reproduce ourselves, but we have done it on a number of occasions and we know that some of our customers have seen it.  Generally, when we have reproduced it ourselves it has been on Windows XP, with Flash Player 10 in the browser (IE 6 and 7).  I have seen it happen most when AIR 2.0 is being installed as part of installing the application, but again it is very intermittent.

Thanks

Steven

• 6. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app

Thanks Steven.  I've opened bug #2675090 on the queued order of events being occasionally swapped.

Chris

• 7. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app
                      jpravetz2

Chris, there was another aspect to the original post. On the initial install, the "appinstallarg" is not being passed to the app. The app is installed and launched, but it is sent an invokeEvent with null params and no browserInvokeEvent. I believe I have seen the same problem, namely that args are passed on launch but not install & launch. Can you respond to this? Thanks.

• 8. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app

We haven't seen this before but I'll spend some time today trying to reproduce the problem.

Chris

• 9. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app

I haven't had any luck reproducing "appinstallarg" not being passed to the app.  However, I've talked with the badge installer expert about this and we're both actively looking for it.

Chris

• 10. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app
                            steven.okennedy Level 1

Hi Chris,

Just to let you know we have also just had a new instance of the problem as seen by jpravetz2 as well.  We have recently made changes to our application because of the original issues we've been seeing, as previously if we got an Invoke event (with no args) before the BrowserInvokeEvent, the application was doing a controlled shutdown as it believed it had nothing to do.  We have now changed this so it stays running, as we thought the BrowserInvokeEvent had just been delayed, however we have now seen instances where we can confirm that no BrowserInvokeEvent is being received at our end.  Again this happened on the user's first install where the AIR runtime was being installed as part of the install process

Regards

Steven

• 11. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app

Hi Steven,

I've talked with our badge installer expert and we believe that the case where no BrowserInvokeEvent is received is actually as designed.  In your last post you stated:

We have now changed this so it stays running, as we thought the BrowserInvokeEvent had just been delayed, however we have now seen instances where we can confirm that no BrowserInvokeEvent is being received at our end.  Again this happened on the user's first install where the AIR runtime was being installed as part of the install process

In this case, where the badge causes the application to be installed and launched.  It's actually the installer, not the browser, that launches the app.  So the BrowserInvokeEvent.BROWSER_INVOKE should not be fired but an InvokeEvent.INVOKE should.

In the case where the application is installed, then subsequently launched via the badge, both a BrowserInvokeEvent and InvokeEvent should occur.

We've found a case where this isn't going as planned.  If the user has the 1.5.3 runtime installed, then installs an application from the badge that requires the 2.0.2 runtime, both the BrowserInvokeEvent and InvokeEvent's are fired.  We only expected to see the InvokeEvent so we're investigating further.

If you want to make sure to always catch the arguments, you should handle them during the InvokeEvent notification.

Hope this helps,

Chris

• 12. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app

steven.okennedy wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your support on this.  We have found the issue very difficult to reproduce ourselves, but we have done it on a number of occasions and we know that some of our customers have seen it.  Generally, when we have reproduced it ourselves it has been on Windows XP, with Flash Player 10 in the browser (IE 6 and 7).  I have seen it happen most when AIR 2.0 is being installed as part of installing the application, but again it is very intermittent.

Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven,

Have you run into any cases of the event order being switched now that 2.0.3 is out?  We've been unable to reproduce in our testing.

Thanks,

Chris

• 13. Re: AIR_Badge not passing appinstallarg to app
                                  Chris Honselaar1

Using AIR 2.5.1, the content of appinstallarg is consistently NOT being passed with the InvokeEvent after an upgrade performed through a web install badge. We have been unable to find a workaround for this. Is this filed as a bug?