5 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2009 6:18 AM by RLee2274 RSS

Acrobat Professional 8.1.2 Mac G5 MAC OS 10.4.11
      I would like to change text attributes(size, color, font) in text boxes. The tool bar for this seems to
      appear and disappear at random in documents. I can change text box "properties" ie. background color, border color/size but this is not what I am referring to. There is a standard text attribute tool bar but I can't get it to appear reliably.

The previous answer to a similar inquiry on this subject July 29, 2008 did not address the question.
        • 1. Re: Text BOX TOOL BAR-PROPERTIES
          I have been having the same difficulty with Acrobat 9.0.0 Macbook Pro Mac OS X 10.5.4.

I was working in a single document with text boxes and I was able to change the properties of the fonts, then all of a sudden Acrobat stopped making the properties toolbar active when I selected text in a text box.

Is there a solution to this problem?
          • 2. Re: Text BOX TOOL BAR-PROPERTIES
            MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs
            I just re-researched this for myself last night. Have the textbox
            available and select some text. Command E will allow you to bring up the
            format text toolbar. Change it how you like and then make these
            properties the default.

• 3. Re: Text BOX TOOL BAR-PROPERTIES
              Community Member
              That's fine if one can get the toolbar to appear and be active. That is the normal
              procedure anyway. The problem is that sometimes the toolbar remains inactive
              (greyed out) and no amount of clicking/selecting/double clicking will make it
              active and show the relative controls. As far as I have been able to determine
              this is random. I have tried opening different documents especially some that I
              know the text attribute tool bar last worked and even those don't always work.
              Sometimes I can close the app and launch it again and get a usable text attribute
              tool bar but not consistently. This is very frustrating and I have wasted considerable
              time when I should be doing something productive.
              • 4. Re: Text BOX TOOL BAR-PROPERTIES
                Community Member
                I agree, William. I have the same problem. My temporary workaround when I have to get the work done is to have a blank .pdf file with a pre-formatted text box in it, which I copy and paste into the document where I need to put the text box. Of course, this is not the most efficient way, and it doesn't give me the formatting flexibility I need from the text box properties, but it works in a pinch.

Still waiting for anyone who has an answer to the base problem: intermittent text box properties grey out.
                • 5. Re: Text BOX TOOL BAR-PROPERTIES

I've seen a workaround for this problem on the internet, but can't find it again. The problem has something to do with the current pdf not having embedded fonts-- whatever that means. It's an inherent flaw in the Acrobat software that Adobe needs to fix. But the workaround involved closing the document and then opening it again in a particular fashion.

But now that I've pointed us in the right direction, maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide a solution.