14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 3:10 PM by Newsgroup_User

Validator Error "there is no attribute height'

atomic king Level 1
      Hi am using validator to go through my site while I am fixing errors due to that my site was created with frontpage. I am using DW now. I must say fixing all these errors has been very time consuming. This next error says: Line 229, Column 42: there is no attribute "HEIGHT".

… <table width="587" height="713" border="0" cellpadding="7" cellspa

Unfortunately when I take out height the entire page layout collapses. Obviously! What can I do about this. I have 16 errors left and even though I have received much appreciated help in this forum fixing these errors it has been taking quiet some time. Thanks. The webpage is oldfortestates.com.
        • 1. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
          Level 7
          Height is not a valid attribute for tables; never has been.

> Unfortunately when I take out height the entire page layout collapses
          There is something with your page design/construction. Please post a link so
          we can help you find that problem.
          --

Walt

"atomic king" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:glas4q$82u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi am using validator to go through my site while I am fixing errors due
          > to
          > that my site was created with frontpage. I am using DW now. I must say
          > fixing
          > all these errors has been very time consuming. This next error says: Line
          > 229,
          > Column 42: there is no attribute "HEIGHT".
          >
          > ? <table width="587" height="713" border="0" cellpadding="7"
          > cellspa
          >
          > Unfortunately when I take out height the entire page layout collapses.
          > Obviously! What can I do about this. I have 16 errors left and even though
          > I
          > have received much appreciated help in this forum fixing these errors it
          > has
          > been taking quiet some time. Thanks. The webpage is oldfortestates.com.
          >

• 2. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
            Level 7
            Sorry... I see the URL now.

--

Walt

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
            news:glasum$93d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Height is not a valid attribute for tables; never has been.
            >
            >> Unfortunately when I take out height the entire page layout collapses
            > There is something with your page design/construction. Please post a link
            > so we can help you find that problem.
            > --
            >
            > Walt
            >
            >
            > "atomic king" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:glas4q$82u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Hi am using validator to go through my site while I am fixing errors due
            >> to
            >> that my site was created with frontpage. I am using DW now. I must say
            >> fixing
            >> all these errors has been very time consuming. This next error says: Line
            >> 229,
            >> Column 42: there is no attribute "HEIGHT".
            >>
            >> ? <table width="587" height="713" border="0" cellpadding="7"
            >> cellspa
            >>
            >> Unfortunately when I take out height the entire page layout collapses.
            >> Obviously! What can I do about this. I have 16 errors left and even
            >> though I
            >> have received much appreciated help in this forum fixing these errors it
            >> has
            >> been taking quiet some time. Thanks. The webpage is oldfortestates.com.
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
              Level 7
              I removed height="713" and height: 400px from 2 consecutive table tags and
              the page displays fine in Fx3.

--

Walt

news:glas4q$82u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi am using validator to go through my site while I am fixing errors due
              > to
              > that my site was created with frontpage. I am using DW now. I must say
              > fixing
              > all these errors has been very time consuming. This next error says: Line
              > 229,
              > Column 42: there is no attribute "HEIGHT".
              >
              > cellspa
              >
              > Unfortunately when I take out height the entire page layout collapses.
              > Obviously! What can I do about this. I have 16 errors left and even though
              > I
              > have received much appreciated help in this forum fixing these errors it
              > has
              > been taking quiet some time. Thanks. The webpage is oldfortestates.com.
              >

• 4. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                atomic king Level 1
                Hi Walt, Thanks for that... What is fx3? I tried taking out height on line 229 but this time it didnt work. I took it out by previous error and it worked but not this time.

What should I do? Can I replace something instead? Is there a quick way for me to fix the remaining 16 errors or do I have to go through all of them one at a time.
                • 5. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                  meemaster
                  Although the "bgcolor", "width", "height", and "nowrap" attributes were deprecated, height is (was) an attribute for your <td> tag.

<table border="1">
                  <tr>
                  <td height="713px">HOUSE</td>
                  <td>Caption</td>
                  </tr>
                  </table>
                  • 6. Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                    meemaster Level 1
                    Most likely you will need to replace and or fix each error one by one unless the error has been duplicated throughout the page or site. Only then could you safely use a find and replace.

btw: I don't see the link. <found it />
                    • 7. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                      Level 7
                      > cellspa

This is very rough, but it just passed the validator by direct input:

<table style="width: 587px; min-height: 713px; border: 0;">

If you are using a style sheet it'd probably be better to put the style in
                      there rather than directly into the HTML

There may also be issues with some versions of Internet Explorer with the
                      'min-height'. The HTML also validates with 'height' instead of 'min-height',
                      but that is more restrictive.

HTH,

Bruce

• 8. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                        atomic king Level 1
                        The entire code going together for that line is

<table width="587" height="713" border="0" cellpadding="7" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#ffffea" style="border-collapse: collapse;">
                        <tbody>

can anyone give me some new css I can replace that with to get the same thing done but without the error for the height. I tried shifting height around and taking it out but it does not work.
                        • 9. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                          Level 7
                          > can anyone give me some new css I can replace that with to get the same
                          > thing
                          > done but without the error for the height. I tried shifting height around
                          > and
                          > taking it out but it does not work.

Sorry, missed your new reply since we both posted at the same time...

There is another thread by Breezy C which has a reply which may help you.

Bruce

• 10. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                            Level 7
                            I don't believe that the min-height specification will reliably size your
                            table. And you'd probably want to use border:none rather than border:0,
                            although either work (the former is more consistent with CSS syntactical
                            usage, I think).

--
                            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                            Adobe Community Expert
                            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                            ==================
                            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                            ==================

"bruce_code" <bwwcodebwwcode@@optusnetoptusnet..comcom..auau> wrote in
                            message news:glb2gn$f36$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >> ? <table width="587" height="713" border="0" cellpadding="7"
                            >> cellspa
                            >
                            > This is very rough, but it just passed the validator by direct input:
                            >
                            > <table style="width: 587px; min-height: 713px; border: 0;">
                            >
                            > If you are using a style sheet it'd probably be better to put the style in
                            > there rather than directly into the HTML
                            >
                            > There may also be issues with some versions of Internet Explorer with the
                            > 'min-height'. The HTML also validates with 'height' instead of
                            > 'min-height', but that is more restrictive.
                            >
                            > HTH,
                            >
                            > Bruce
                            >

• 11. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                              atomic king Level 1
                              I just tried replacing the existing code <td width="589" height="707" valign="top"><table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#000000">
                              <tbody>

with, <table style="width: 587px; min-height: 713px; border: 0;">

but the page collapses so I think something is missing. I am not an expert at the way DW handles code as I always used to use frontpage. So I am getting into it bit by bit. What can I do.
                              • 12. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                                Level 7
                                <td style="width: 587px; min-height: 713px; border: 0;" valign="top">
                                <table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"
                                style="background-color:#000000;">
                                <tbody>

This is going to be VERY slow and tedious for you at your current level of
                                HTML skill....

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                ==================
                                ==================

news:glcg8o$80m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >I just tried replacing the existing code <td width="589" height="707"
                                > valign="top"><table border="0" align="center" cellpadding="1"
                                > cellspacing="0"
                                > bgcolor="#000000">
                                > <tbody>
                                >
                                > with, <table style="width: 587px; min-height: 713px; border: 0;">
                                >
                                > but the page collapses so I think something is missing. I am not an expert
                                > at
                                > the way DW handles code as I always used to use frontpage. So I am getting
                                > into
                                > it bit by bit. What can I do.
                                >

• 13. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                                  Level 7
                                  >I don't believe that the min-height specification will reliably size your
                                  >table. And you'd probably want to use border:none rather than border:0,
                                  >although either work (the former is more consistent with CSS syntactical
                                  >usage, I think).

What about just 'height'? The OP could always use a SHIM to go with that
                                  tasty TABLE :p

Bruce

• 14. Re: Validator Error &quot;there is no attribute height'
                                    Level 7
                                    Nope - wouldn't be prudent.

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

"bruce_code" <bwwcodebwwcode@@optusnetoptusnet..comcom..auau> wrote in
                                    message news:gldhng$hs5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > >I don't believe that the min-height specification will reliably size your
                                    > >table. And you'd probably want to use border:none rather than border:0,
                                    > >although either work (the former is more consistent with CSS syntactical
                                    > >usage, I think).
                                    >
                                    > What about just 'height'? The OP could always use a SHIM to go with that
                                    > tasty TABLE :p
                                    >
                                    > Bruce
                                    >