6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2008 7:37 PM by MichaelKazlow RSS

Make pages all same size into a PDF?

I have 200 images that are book pages that I want to combine into a PDF. The problem is, a number of the pages are of a different size. I want to make a PDF where all the pages are exactly the same size. How do I do this? I haven't figured out how to do this in Acrobat Professional, whereas Apple's Preview does it automatically if I open all the images in one window and "print" a PDF, it comes out looking great except the file size is HUGE. By contrast, when I make the pdf with Acrobat Professional, the file size is reduce really significantly while still looking great in quality.

So basically, I can do really easily what I want to do in Preview, yet not in Acrobat. But I really don't want a 70+ MB file, more like a 3MB file (What Acrobat outputs). I've tried opening the pdf I made with Preview in Acrobat and doing the "reduce file size" under Document, but that results in the quality ending up horrible and the file size at 14MB. I need to process the images from the source in Acrobat, I just have this page size issue.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Make pages all same size into a PDF?
          MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs
          What type of images? Changing image sizes of raster image files is a
          task I would assign to Photoshop or GraphicConverter (shareware,
          inexpensive and an does things like this quite easily). For vector
          images the story is quite different.

Mike
          • 2. Re: Make pages all same size into a PDF?
            Community Member
            They are PNG and JPG images. I have GraphicConverter, Photoshop, Acrobat Professional, and InDesign.
            • 3. Re: Make pages all same size into a PDF?
              MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs
              Eric,

If you have GraphicConverter use it! You can scale to a specific size in
              inches or cm. It can be applied via the batch function.

Mike
              • 4. Re: Make pages all same size into a PDF?
                Community Member
                Are you making a copy of an existing book? For what reason?
                • 5. Re: Make pages all same size into a PDF?
                  Community Member
                  I tried doing the batch convert in Graphic Converter and made all of them roughly the same size as all the other pages. Then I realized when examining the pages that had been coming up as the same size were slightly different sizes. The differences are only by a few fractions of an inch or a few pixels, but still different. Adobe Acrobat makes them all exactly the same size though when I combine them together into a PDF. The other pages, however, that were coming up significantly smaller in comparison to the other pages, I resized them in GraphicConverter to be pretty much the same size as the other group of pages. This seemed to not make a difference though when I imported them into a PDF in Acrobat. They still came up significantly smaller than the other pages, despite their difference not being more than a few pixels. So there must be some other reason for why this is happening, what could it be? At this point, they're all JPGs and roughly the same size in pixels width and height. I also tried looking at the "Crop Pages" dialog box in Acrobat, and I set a fixed page size for all of the pages as Letter. When I did this I noticed practically no difference in the majority properly sized pages, while the pages that had been coming up smaller were made to be the same size as the rest, however, the text on the page remained the same smaller size. In other words, instead of zooming in and enlarging the smaller pages to equalize them with the larger pages, it simply generated a lot of white space to make the "pages" technically the same size, while leaving the actual image (of text) it's original size.

This seems like it should be such a simple task and Preview does it automatically, so what's the problem?
                  • 6. Re: Make pages all same size into a PDF?
                    MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs
                    Eric,

You can scale to exact pixel counts in Graphic Converter. If you do this
                    and are still seeing differences, then something else is going on.

Mike