9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2008 9:51 PM by W_Bell

More Flash Video controller skins

JayNewWeb
      I use DW CS3. I'm a very basic-level user doing business sites/pages and need to get things moving fast. I'm not much into HTML coding.

I love the fact that when I have a page in DW it's simple to choose "Insert - Media - Flash Video..." and I get the list of choices for the file to insert and the dropdown of built-in players/skins to use. I typically create 640x480 videos and I typically choose the last one in the list: Halo 3. I always just choose "Detect Size" and that's it.

However, I really need to add "current time" and "total time" indicators ("Min:Sec" format) so viewers will know the time they're in for and so I can have advisors comment on particular sections in the content of given videos.

I really, really, REALLY want to end up with the same luxuriously simple functionality that I have now with the current built-in choice: Just choose it from the drop-down, choose "Detect Size" and be done with it and move on.

I'd also really like to stay with the generally minimalistic, clean, sleek, professional look that the Halo skin provides (well, it's very similar to the typical YouTube skin for that matter).

And I'd really like for it to be truly debugged and 100% reliable, functional, and compatible with the DW CS3 program.

I'm happy to pay to buy what I'm after.

(Note: If it just can't be done and doesn't exist, then please guide me to the simplest path for achieving the closest thing to this by placing HTML code and files in folders as needed -- or anything else you can suggest.)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
          Level 7
          >>I'm not much into HTML coding.
          Then DW isn't going to be of much use to you.
          --

Walt

"JayNewWeb" <jnewman@silver100.com> wrote in message
          news:ge3kmt$884$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I use DW CS3. I'm a very basic-level user doing business sites/pages and
          >need
          > to get things moving fast. I'm not much into HTML coding.
          >
          > I love the fact that when I have a page in DW it's simple to choose
          > "Insert -
          > Media - Flash Video..." and I get the list of choices for the file to
          > insert
          > and the dropdown of built-in players/skins to use. I typically create
          > 640x480
          > videos and I typically choose the last one in the list: Halo 3. I always
          > just
          > choose "Detect Size" and that's it.
          >
          > However, I really need to add "current time" and "total time" indicators
          > ("Min:Sec" format) so viewers will know the time they're in for and so I
          > can
          > have advisors comment on particular sections in the content of given
          > videos.
          >
          > I really, really, REALLY want to end up with the same luxuriously simple
          > functionality that I have now with the current built-in choice: Just
          > choose it
          > from the drop-down, choose "Detect Size" and be done with it and move on.
          >
          > I'd also really like to stay with the generally minimalistic, clean,
          > sleek,
          > professional look that the Halo skin provides (well, it's very similar to
          > the
          > typical YouTube skin for that matter).
          >
          > And I'd really like for it to be truly debugged and 100% reliable,
          > functional,
          > and compatible with the DW CS3 program.
          >
          > I'm happy to pay to buy what I'm after.
          >
          > (Note: If it just can't be done and doesn't exist, then please guide me to
          > the
          > simplest path for achieving the closest thing to this by placing HTML code
          > and
          > files in folders as needed -- or anything else you can suggest.)
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          >
          >

• 2. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
            JayNewWeb Level 1
            Walt, I appreciate the religious guidance, but what I'd really appreciate is an answer to my question and any help along those lines that might be possible.

I've created three business websites in DW over the recent years just fine (with many pages, CSS-controled menus, anchors, videos, images, templates, shopping cart, etc – and I still maintain I’m not much into HTML coding), so I think DW is plenty useful for me, thank-you-very-much. Just the same, I prefer by far the simplicity of the built-in Flash video skins and would greatly prefer to replicate that with a new skin that has time counters rather than have to manually do the HTML if indeed such an option is possible.

Anyone able to please help me with the question I posed?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
              Level 7
              :-)

--

Walt

"JayNewWeb" <jnewman@silver100.com> wrote in message
              news:ge3qg7$f4d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Walt, I appreciate the religious guidance, but what I'd really appreciate
              > is an
              > answer to my question and any help along those lines that might be
              > possible.
              >
              > I've created three business websites in DW over the recent years just fine
              > (with many pages, CSS-controled menus, anchors, videos, images, templates,
              > shopping cart, etc ? and I still maintain I?m not much into HTML coding),
              > so I
              > think DW is plenty useful for me, thank-you-very-much. Just the same, I
              > prefer
              > by far the simplicity of the built-in Flash video skins and would greatly
              > prefer to replicate that with a new skin that has time counters rather
              > than
              > have to manually do the HTML if indeed such an option is possible.
              >
              > Anyone able to please help me with the question I posed?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              >
              >

• 4. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
                Level 7
                I tend to agree with Walt. You really need to pop the hood once in a while
                to check your code. But if you want simple, have a Look at Coffee Cup Web
                Video Player. I think they have a trial version you can download.
                http://www.coffeecup.com/video-player/

It will create the code for you which you can copy and paste into your html
                page (in code view of course :-).

Nancy O.
                Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                www.alt-web.com

• 5. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
                  Level 7
                  :-)

(religious guidance?)

--

Walt

"Nancy O" <nancyoshea1@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
                  news:ge5h0e$t2n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I tend to agree with Walt. You really need to pop the hood once in a while
                  > to check your code. But if you want simple, have a Look at Coffee Cup Web
                  > Video Player. I think they have a trial version you can download.
                  > http://www.coffeecup.com/video-player/
                  >
                  > It will create the code for you which you can copy and paste into your
                  > html
                  > page (in code view of course :-).
                  >
                  >
                  > Nancy O.
                  > Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                  > www.alt-web.com
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
                    JayNewWeb Level 1
                    Nancy O, thanks for the recommendation. I took a peep though and it does much "more" than I want. I've done some research and tried a few converters and have decided to use Flix Pro by On2 for converting my vidoes to Flash format. Right now I'm just looking for player/skins that have the clean look and variety of controls and display items I'm seeking.

Walt, I was obviously just being sarcastic about being lectured on whether to be using what I'm using rather than getting an answer to my question. :-)

Thanks, folks.

Still looking...

Jay
                    • 7. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
                      W_Bell Level 1
                      You will be looking for ever because unless you use Flash and embbed the Flv into a swf, you won't see the features that you are asking for. You will only get them in a Flash component.
                      Good luck.
                      WB
                      • 8. More Flash Video controller skins
                        JayNewWeb Level 1
                        I found the solution in the JW Player. I do have to paste text into the HTML and it took some time to learn how to do it, but now that I have it down it's totally what I wanted. Very professional, clean looking player. It shows elapsed and total time. And it shows progress of the buffer. Also, it allows the user to select an image to appear before playing. And, I can have as many players as I want on the same HTML page.

I can post the HTML code if anyone needs it. Some goes in the <head> section and the rest in the <body>.

Jay
                        • 9. Re: More Flash Video controller skins
                          W_Bell Level 1
                          That,s much the same functionality except a little more Java.
                          The downside is you have to agree to the JW terms and I think they run their advertising on your site. Flash has what you are looking for and it would be all yours if you have Flash. All you have to do is 3 simple task and you have it.