5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2006 7:30 AM by Alpaca_Alex

Projector Sound Problem

Alpaca_Alex
      I have a projector created on Macintosh for distribution on both Mac and Windows. The Mac version works perfectly. On the Windows version, the sounds in sound channel 1 always play, those in sound channel 2 sometimes play and sometimes don't. The sounds in channel 2 come and go randomly.

The general set up is a main file which includes a menu system, calling various sub-files. At the end of each sub-file, users return to the first file to select another one to play. If I play the same file from the projector several times, sometimes the channel 2 sounds play, sometimes not.

Is there some lingo code I need to put in to clear memory, or something? I rarely work in Windows, so it could be a pretty basic Windows issue.

Alex
        • 1. Re: Projector Sound Problem
          Level 7
          Are all of your sounds the same bit depth and sample rate - particularly
          if you have more than one playing simultaneously (and thus requiring
          mixing)?
          • 2. Re: Projector Sound Problem
            Level 7
            On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:35:56 GMT, Alpaca Alex posted in
            macromedia.director.basics:

> I have a projector created on Macintosh for distribution on both Mac and
            > Windows. The Mac version works perfectly. On the Windows version, the
            > sounds in sound channel 1 always play, those in sound channel 2
            > sometimes play and sometimes don't. The sounds in channel 2 come and go
            > randomly.

In addition to Sean's question, are you also playing videos anywhere? If so,
            look into setting the soundKeepDevice to false.

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin'
            • 3. Re: Projector Sound Problem
              Alpaca_Alex Level 1
              All sounds use same bit depth and sample rate. Some of the sounds are used in several places in the project. If placed in channel 1 they always play, same sound placed in channel 2 comes and goes. No video clips anywhere in the project. All sounds are AIFF format. It has nothing to do with the sound files themselves as far as I can tell.

Alex
              • 4. Re: Projector Sound Problem
                Level 7
                On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:25:23 GMT, Alpaca Alex posted in
                macromedia.director.basics:

> All sounds use same bit depth and sample rate. Some of the sounds are
                > used in several places in the project. If placed in channel 1 they
                > always play, same sound placed in channel 2 comes and goes. No video
                > clips anywhere in the project. All sounds are AIFF format. It has
                > nothing to do with the sound files themselves as far as I can tell.

Odd. See if setting the soundKeepDevice to 0 helps anyway.

Any Flash audio? If so, look into toggling the soundMixMedia to true or
                false.

Have you tried changing the soundDevice to a different one that is available
                via the soundDeviceList?

An alternative might be using Lingo to play the sounds in higher channels.
                With Lingo you have up to 8 channels available rather than the two available
                via the Score.

P.S. You might want to ensure that the sounds are sampled at one of the
                following old, SoundBlaster compatible rates of:

44100 Hz
                22050 Hz
                11025 Hz
                8000 Hz

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin'
                • 5. Re: Projector Sound Problem
                  Alpaca_Alex Level 1
                  Thanks for all the suggestions.

No Flash Audio. Sounds are sampled at 22050 Hz, 8 bit depth. Tried setting SoundKeepDevice to 0, no difference.

I think at this point, I am going to try a different PC to see if the problem is specific to my hardware.

Alex