17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2006 8:50 AM by Deaf Web Designer

Reinstalling DW (Mac)

Jim Nee Level 1
      Hi folks,

I had to do an Archive and Reinstall of OS X yesterday, and since then my browsers will not preview any pages I've built in DW8. There is also no help section for DW8, unless I drill down in the Finder to a help file and launch it from there. I have problems PSCS when Archiving and Reinstalling and usually have to reinstall PSCS. Do I need to reinstall DW8? I'm not having this issue in FireWorks 8...

If so, the copy i have was a 30 day trial download that was activated with a valid serial number. Is there an appropriate way to get another download, or do I just download another trial version and activate it?
        • 1. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
          Level 1
          Did you had DW8 expired after 30-days?

I am not sure if I understand the gravity of your problem not able to preview any pages in browsers that you built with DW8. Perhaps it was not being clear, concise. You might want to rephrase it in terms of obvious and precise.

If possible, please show us a link.
          • 2. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
            Level 7
            Let's try to separate the several issues here.

1. After the archive and reinstall, do your trial copies open and run OK?
            2. If they do, is the problem you are experiencing one from without DW/FW
            when attempting to preview the pages?

A DW trial expiring would not affect whether your browsers can open the
            pages.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"Jim Nee" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ehace3$22f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I had to do an Archive and Reinstall of OS X yesterday, and since then my
            > browsers will not preview any pages I've built in DW8. There is also no
            > help
            > section for DW8, unless I drill down in the Finder to a help file and
            > launch it
            > from there. I have problems PSCS when Archiving and Reinstalling and
            > usually
            > have to reinstall PSCS. Do I need to reinstall DW8? I'm not having this
            > issue
            > in FireWorks 8...
            >
            > If so, the copy i have was a 30 day trial download that was activated with
            > a
            > valid serial number. Is there an appropriate way to get another download,
            > or do
            > I just download another trial version and activate it?
            >

• 3. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
              Jim Nee Level 1
              Hi, thanks for responding. I activated DW8 before the 30 days was up, which was back in July sometime.

What I mean is that when I'm building or editing a page in DW, I usually hit F12 to preview that page in the browser. The url would have been something like local://macintosh%20hd/myuser/Sites/customerfile/site/pathtocurrentpage.htm . Now, after the A&R of the OS, that path is local://macintosh%20hd/pathtocurrentpage.htm, and I get a notice that page is not available.

So clicked on Help, and nothing loaded after several minutes. The search in Help didn't work. So I drilled down in the Finder to the Help files and clicked them from there; they opened.

It seems that something is broken, and I'm wondering if it's because the A&R on the OS. In PSCS, when I archive and reinstall, I can no longer drag and drop files onto the PSCS icon to open them, or simply open them in PSCS by double clicking them. Adobe has told me before that some element got screwed up when I A&R'd and I would have to reinstall PSCS, too.

Is the same thing happening with DW8?
              • 4. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                Level 7
                Please go to SITES | Manage Sites..., select the site name, and click on
                Edit. Click on the Advanced tab at the top. Tell me the following -

Under LOCAL INFO
                ----------------------------
                The contents of "Local root folder:"

Under TESTING SERVER
                The contents of "Server model:"
                The contents of "Access:"
                The contents of "Testing server folder:"
                The contents of "URL prefix:"

(You may not see these last 3 items if you have "None" in the first)

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

news:ehadnq$3kl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi, thanks for responding. I activated DW8 before the 30 days was up,
                > which was
                > back in July sometime.
                >
                > What I mean is that when I'm building or editing a page in DW, I usually
                > hit
                > F12 to preview that page in the browser. The url would have been something
                > like
                > local://macintosh%20hd/myuser/Sites/customerfile/site/pathtocurrentpage.htm
                > .
                > Now, after the A&R of the OS, that path is
                > local://macintosh%20hd/pathtocurrentpage.htm, and I get a notice that page
                > is
                > not available.
                >
                > So clicked on Help, and nothing loaded after several minutes. The search
                > in
                > Help didn't work. So I drilled down in the Finder to the Help files and
                > clicked
                > them from there; they opened.
                >
                > It seems that something is broken, and I'm wondering if it's because the
                > A&R
                > on the OS. In PSCS, when I archive and reinstall, I can no longer drag and
                > drop
                > files onto the PSCS icon to open them, or simply open them in PSCS by
                > double
                > clicking them. Adobe has told me before that some element got screwed up
                > when I
                > A&R'd and I would have to reinstall PSCS, too.
                >
                > Is the same thing happening with DW8?
                >

• 5. Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                  Level 1
                  I believe DW8 tryout expires. I could be wrong, but I think it is. Since you mentioned that you had activated DW8 tryout in July. Once you activated it, it automatically count down to zero after 30 days right after whenever you activated it in July.

Let's see what Murray have to say, though.
                  • 6. Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                    Jim Nee Level 1
                    Murray,

Thanks. The trial versions never expired because I entered the serial numbers before the expiration date. So as far as I know I've been running valid apps since July.

DW opens and runs okay, but I can't preview any of my work in any browser now. I actually downloaded another trial version and installed it. It picked up my preferences and has the valid SN in it, but I still can't preview my pages as I work on them. I get a message that looks like this:

Safari can’t open the page “ http://macintosh%20hd/daily_bread/TMP14uy7fdja.html” because it can’t find the server “macintosh%20hd”.

That never happened before the A&R of the OS. I can use the Help again after reinstalling DW, however. The Start Page also wouldn't show with some error message that I didn't write down.

I have, just now, removed the preference files from the User > Library > Preferences and relaunched DW. I have my Start Page back, and the Help. But I still can't preview my files in any browser. Its not seeing the full path. The full path for a file opened from the Finder is:

file:///Users/jamesnee/Sites/Holy%20Cross/site/contact/index.html

That's what I'm accustomed to seeing when previewing a file from within DW. But now, after the A&R, when I hit Option + F12 in DW on the same file, the path in the browser is:

http://macintosh%20hd/contact/index.html

With the error message: Safari can’t open the page “ http://macintosh%20hd/contact/index.html” because it can’t find the server “macintosh%20hd”.

Does that make sense? Any idea what's missing, or what happened?
                    • 7. Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                      Level 1
                      Wow, you had lot of issues here, so that left me very confused and not sure what went wrong.

I didn't have any problems with archieving my Macs for years. I am not sure what went wrong with your situation. By the look of URL paths points to your local machine, looks like all messed up or not define correctly in site panel.

What system achitecture, in terms of version, you are working with? Is it a PowerPC-based or Intel Duo-based Macs?
                      • 8. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                        Jim Nee Level 1
                        DWD,

Thanks for responding. When I say 'activated' I mean that I entered a serial number. So it's not a trial any more, it's a paid for product. Sorry for the confusion!
                        • 9. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                          Level 1
                          That is what I was wondering and a bit puzzled. LOL. Thanks for letting us know about that one.

quote:

Originally posted by: Jim Nee
                          DWD,

Thanks for responding. When I say 'activated' I mean that I entered a serial number. So it's not a trial any more, it's a paid for product. Sorry for the confusion!

• 10. Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                            Jim Nee Level 1
                            Yeah, I checked the site panel right away. Nothing there has changed since before the A&R. Its still:

Macintosh HD:Users:myusername:Sites:my customers name:site:

I rebuilt the site cache too, but no results.
                            • 11. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                              Jim Nee Level 1
                              This may be site specific. I just opened a page in one of my other sites in DW and hit Option + F12. It showed up just fine in the browser; no erros. In fact, all my other sites preview in the browser just fine; its only this one site that doesn't.
                              • 12. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                                Jim Nee Level 1
                                Murray,

Sorry, I missed your earlier post. Here is the data:

Under LOCAL INFO
                                Macintosh HD:Users:jamesnee:Sites:Holy Cross:site:

Refresh local file lists automatically is checked.

Under TESTING SERVER
                                I must have been toying with SQL, because that is what the testing server was set at. Doh! I set the testing server to 'none' and tried Option + F12 again. It worked!

Still, after the A&R other wacky things were happening. So I guess a clean install of the program and deleting the preference and .plist files are in order.

Whew... thank Murray!
                                • 13. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                                  Level 7
                                  > Still, after the A&R other wacky things were happening. So I guess a clean
                                  > install of the program and deleting the preference and .plist files are in
                                  > order.

Not necessarily - just post those wacky things here as they happen. There
                                  may be someplace you can just kick the tires.

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  ==================
                                  ==================

news:ehag6p$6os$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Murray,
                                  >
                                  > Sorry, I missed your earlier post. Here is the data:
                                  >
                                  > Under LOCAL INFO
                                  > ----------------------------
                                  > Macintosh HD:Users:jamesnee:Sites:Holy Cross:site:
                                  >
                                  > Refresh local file lists automatically is checked.
                                  >
                                  > Under TESTING SERVER
                                  > ----------------------------
                                  > I must have been toying with SQL, because that is what the testing server
                                  > was
                                  > set at. Doh! I set the testing server to 'none' and tried Option + F12
                                  > again.
                                  > It worked!
                                  >
                                  > Still, after the A&R other wacky things were happening. So I guess a clean
                                  > install of the program and deleting the preference and .plist files are in
                                  > order.
                                  >
                                  > Whew... thank Murray!
                                  >

• 14. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                                    Jim Nee Level 1
                                    Murray,

Thanks again. And thanks for those links in your signature. There are some great tools there! I freelance, and often don't have the time to learn how to do some of those things, and those tools are great!
                                    • 15. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                                      Level 7
                                      I've been freelancing since 1998, and nearly everything I know about web
                                      work, I learned here.

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

news:ehak59$btr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Murray,
                                      >
                                      > Thanks again. And thanks for those links in your signature. There are some
                                      > great tools there! I freelance, and often don't have the time to learn how
                                      > to
                                      > do some of those things, and those tools are great!
                                      >

• 16. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                                        Level 1
                                        Ask for some clarification, please refer to which site you are still having problem with?

Based on frame of reference to your quotation cited below:
                                        "This may be site specific. I just opened a page in one of my other sites in DW and hit Option + F12. It showed up just fine in the browser; no erros. In fact, all my other sites preview in the browser just fine; its only this one site that doesn't."
                                        • 17. Re: Reinstalling DW (Mac)
                                          Level 1
                                          As Murray and Jim has said about freelancing, I have been freelancing since 2001. I do pretty much self-learning and with help of forums over the years (Adobe and formerly Macromedia forums) and a couple of books later! ;)