9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2008 12:50 PM by (Manjunath_R_Prabhu) RSS

ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0

Community Member
      ReInstall Adobe Acrobat 5.0
      I had to reinstall windows and now I have to reinstall acrobat 5.0 (I know all the other versions are newer, bigger, badder etc. but I only use this about twice a year for completing forms and so it is quite satisfactory.)I have my disk and my codes, but I cant find the manual. Online searches provide information about the newer versions
      Now my problem is I cant get it to install. Apparently, there is no auto install. Exploring the CD fails to find any obvious instructions that I can access Thanks to Microsoft office refuses to open that early version of word documents, and the HTML instructions are really great They consist of:
      - Make sure you have at least 120 MB of available disk space for a Typical installation of Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.
      - Make sure you have turned off all anti-virus software before beginning the installation.
      - Install Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.
      Duh!
      HOW DO I INSTALL MY ACROBAT 5.0?
      (and lets use the installation for dummies version)
      (Ive got the hard drive space and the anti-virus is turned off)
      I have the CD in my drive, and using explore I find the Acrobat 5.0 folder
      Looking inside I find setup.exe but clicking on it produces nothing it doesnt run
      Likewise the only other exe program in the folder ISDel.exe- same result
      Clearly something else has to be done, but when your installation instructions consist of:
      - Install Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.
      Adobe makes it tough and their manual isnt even written in Japlish.
        • 1. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
          Claudio González CommunityMVP
          Same version of Windows? Which one(s)?
          • 2. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
            Community Member
            Sorry. Windows XP Service Pack 3 (I think) is now installed - this was the same operating system as before, except the XP may have been service pack 2
            • 3. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
              Bill@VT CommunityMVP
              Select the Acrobat 5 folder on the CD and start "setup". When you are done, you can go to the Adobe site and select the downloads>updates and Windows Acrobat. There are several updates there to download and install. Generally you install them in order unless it says otherwise. Of course you don't need to do the other languages and such. You will note the plugins for saving as XML (including HTML), Capture, etc. If you do not have those after installation, then you know where to find them. Bill
              • 4. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
                Community Member
                Thanks. I'd found that file earlier and thought it was the correct one, however when I click on it, sometimes nothing happens, othertimes the sand-dial comes on for maybe 15 seconds and then disappears and meanwhile nothing else ever happens... McAffe is supposed to be off, and no error messages are coming up from windows, Adobe or anything. it's like something is blocking it or it just doesn't work for some reason, but expect something to provide me with some sort of message. It is an educational version, but that shouldn't make any difference.
                • 5. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
                  Bill@VT CommunityMVP
                  I just tried the Acrobat 5>setup.exe on VISTA (I did not do the install, just brought it up to the splash and continue button). That worked fine and then I canceled the install. It seems you did not get that far. My CD is for AA5.0, not AA5.0.5. The later I got on this machine (and XP) with the updates.

Of course, on VISTA I got a compatibility warning as I would expect. But continuing got me to the splash screen I mentioned. Bill
                  • 6. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
                    Community Member
                    Don't know what the problem was, but I think it's been solved. I thought to check the task manager and and there were maybe a dozen setup.exe's "running"- I guess something went wrong with the first one and then each time I clicked on it again I started another one--- but they were all waiting for the first one to finish.
                    Anyway I've cleared them all and reset the computer and this time it seems to have installed itself ok....
                    Thanks for your assistance
                    • 7. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
                      timtro Community Member
                      My Acrobat 5.0 installed fine (original disk) but I get an error from Vista - "Acrobat 5.0 is incompatible with (Vista). I can't find any patch or any references to 5.0 and Vista in the Knowledgebase. Is there a patch? Should I just ignore the Vist alert? It appears to open files ok so far.
                      • 8. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
                        (Aandi_Inston) Community Member
                        >- "Acrobat 5.0 is incompatible with (Vista). I can't find any patch

That's right. You would want 8.1 or later.

Aandi Inston
                        • 9. Re: ReInstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0
                          Community Member
                          I have the same problem as described by Steve Burrage above. Except that nothing seems to resolve this issue. I am just unable to run the Setup.exe file to install Acrobat 5.0.5 on Microsoft XP. I am able to install the CD on other XP machines but not on mine.
                          It is a new laptop which I got with Vista on it. AA 5.0.5 couldnt be installed on Vista and after I converted the machine to XP it is still not working.
                          I tried after removing Adobe Reader and shutting off the Anti virus program. It just doesn't work.
                          I hope someone can suggest a solution.
                          Thanks