13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2006 9:44 AM by EVkb

Automatically update after moving files?

EVkb Level 1
      I've just moved 6 javascript files into one folder (more tidy) and also my two css files into their own folder and now of course my 89 pages need updating...I thought DW 8 would've done this automatically but onlinwe the pages have no css and some of the js do not work...how can I do this automatically instead of manually update page by page?

Thanks
      KB
        • 1. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
          delaneypub Level 1
          If you did those moves in the Files panel of DW8, it should have prompted you to update any files that referred to the ones you were moving. That's the simplest way to avoid the updating problem you now have. This is controlled by certain Preferences and cacheing, so if you didn't get the prompt that may be the reason why.

Now, you can use the Find/Replace feature to update the path statements to the moved files, targeting all the files in your site.
          • 2. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
            EVkb Level 1
            Thanks for the reply - what's strange indeed is I did get the window prompts and I chose yes to update all pages, but on my live site I have the problem of the css not working and the lightbox effect on one of my pages is now not working...though strangely on my TESTING site, the css problem is not there, but it also doesn't display the lightbox effect (which is a combo of css and js files).

KB
            • 3. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
              delaneypub Level 1
              That kind of sounds like a synchronization issue. Have you synced your test and remote sites with all the newer pages on your local site?
              • 4. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                EVkb Level 1
                Well, I just undid my rearranging of these files and got the site back to the way it was yesterday - so all is fine now, but I want to start this process over, maybe with some sound advice as the best way to do this...

I want to move 5 or 6 js files which are on my local site, not in any folder, just floating in alphabetical order on my site, and I want to place my 2 css files together, in the one folder where one css file is already...surely I just drag them all into whatever folder I wish and then I should be prompted to update all pages correct? If this works, how then do I synchronize - by going to SITE, then Synchronize sitewide? If so, then what?

Thank you
                KB
                • 5. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                  delaneypub Level 1
                  I would check your site definiton for the Local site and make sure you enable cache. If it already enabled, you might want to rebuild the cache via the Advanced option on the Site menu.

Then, try moving a file. DW should prompt you to update files. If DW prompts you to load cache, reply yes.

if for some reason this still doesn't work, then there is also a Change Links Sitewide function on the Site menu.
                  • 6. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                    EVkb Level 1
                    Thanks for the help - I followed your steps, (during which DW did not prompt me to load cache), and it works now, great, except for the lightbox effect - which is on this page:

http://www.enhancedwireless.net/Technology/PARROT_Units.shtml

if you click on one of the three products on the page, they should open center stage in a nice frame with a darkened BG, now they open in a new window, plain. So is it my lightbox.js or lightbox.css that it's not updating to? The js is in my script folder with all the other js files, and the lightbox.css file is in the css folder with the other css file...why hasn't this updated? And what should I do?

Thanks much
                    KB

• 7. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                      Level 7
                      It is the css file. Look at href compared to the styles.css

<link href="../css/Style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                      <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/lightbox.css" type="text/css"
                      media="screen" />
                      --
                      Bryan Ashcraft (remove brain to reply)
                      Web Application Developer
                      Wright Medical Technologies, Inc.
                      =============================
                      Macromedia Certified Dreamweaver Developer
                      Adobe Community Expert (DW) :: http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

"iwics2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:e6a2a1$rsc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thanks for the help - I followed your steps, (during which DW did not
                      > prompt me
                      > to load cache), and it works now, great, except for the lightbox effect -
                      > which is on this page:
                      >
                      > <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
                      > href=" http://www.enhancedwireless.net/Technology/PARROT_Units.shtml
                      >
                      > if"> http://www.enhancedwireless.net/Technology/PARROT_Units.shtml
                      >
                      > if</a> you click on one of the three products on the page, they should
                      > open
                      > center stage in a nice frame with a darkened BG, now they open in a new
                      > window,
                      > plain. So is it my lightbox.js or lightbox.css that it's not updating to?
                      > The
                      > js is in my script folder with all the other js files, and the
                      > lightbox.css
                      > file is in the css folder with the other css file...why hasn't this
                      > updated?
                      > And what should I do?
                      >
                      > Thanks much
                      > KB
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                        EVkb Level 1
                        Very strange - on all browsers on may Mac G5, the lightbox effect does not work as stated in previous post, the same happens on all browsers on my PC except the new IE 7...I've refreshed the page on all the browsers - how is it that after moving my lightbox files no browser seems to find these except IE 7 beta?

KB
                        • 9. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                          Level 7
                          In article <e6a002$otq$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                          "delaneypub" <eharrel1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Then, try moving a file. DW should prompt you to update files. If DW prompts
                          > you to load cache, reply yes.
                          >
                          > if for some reason this still doesn't work, then there is also a Change
                          > Links
                          > Sitewide function on the Site menu.

I sometimes use the Delete File *but do not go through with it* to see
                          if in fact the page is connected to other pages I thought they were. May
                          answer why an update doesn't work. Rebuild cache first is a good step
                          though.
                          • 10. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                            EVkb Level 1
                            "It is the css file. Look at href compared to the styles.css"

That's what I thought - so I added the../ to the lightbox.css but no change on any browser, refreshed, of course. Could it be one of the js files? What's the deal with IE 7 working when others don't?

kb
                            • 11. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                              Level 7
                              I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have forgotten on occasion
                              so.....

Did you remember to upload the updated file to the server? It is still
                              showing the wrong path on the live site.

--
                              Bryan Ashcraft (remove brain to reply)
                              Web Application Developer
                              Wright Medical Technologies, Inc.
                              =============================
                              Macromedia Certified Dreamweaver Developer
                              Adobe Community Expert (DW) :: http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

"iwics2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:e6a97g$6s7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > "It is the css file. Look at href compared to the styles.css"
                              >
                              > That's what I thought - so I added the../ to the lightbox.css but no
                              > change on
                              > any browser, refreshed, of course. Could it be one of the js files? What's
                              > the
                              > deal with IE 7 working when others don't?
                              >
                              > kb
                              >
                              >

• 12. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                                Level 7
                                I won't worry about IE7 until it's released.

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                ==================
                                http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                ==================

"Raizel" <raizel@idonotuse.com> wrote in message
                                news:e6a7fo$3kk$2@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > In article <e6a002$otq$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                > "delaneypub" <eharrel1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Then, try moving a file. DW should prompt you to update files. If DW
                                >> prompts
                                >> you to load cache, reply yes.
                                >>
                                >> if for some reason this still doesn't work, then there is also a Change
                                >> Links
                                >> Sitewide function on the Site menu.
                                >
                                > I sometimes use the Delete File *but do not go through with it* to see
                                > if in fact the page is connected to other pages I thought they were. May
                                > answer why an update doesn't work. Rebuild cache first is a good step
                                > though.

• 13. Re: Automatically update after moving files?
                                  EVkb Level 1
                                  Thanks for all the replies - this simply did not work and I don't know why...I went back to the pre move version of my site...

I did make sure everything was uploaded, and I still don't know why IE7 was able to find and display all my files when no other browser would do that...how was that even possible, in other words that was a good thing...why didn't all browsers do this?

Anyway, what steps have I missed or need to do that I didn't...all 6 js files, which were floating outside of any folders in my site, I placed them all inside a new folder called scripts...2 css files outside any folder, floating in my site, I placed them inside a folder called css...received prompt to update all connected files, I chose to do this...uploaded everything to live site...most worked OK but not the lightbox effect, except on IE 7...would love for this to work as I would expect.

Thank you
                                  KB