• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Fillable Form -data in fields disappear

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2009 Feb 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a fillable savable form created with Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. Sometimes the form emailed back to our office and opened in Reader Version 9 appears initially to have blank fields unless you click into the field - you can then see the data. However, you can't print the form with the data displayed and the data seems to disappear when you click to the next field. If using Reader version 8, and if you click the highlight button it acts like a toggle switch to view the data in the fields; however you still can't print.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how we can fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2009 Feb 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To print the data select document & markup in the print box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2009 Oct 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, but in Acrobat Pro Extended and in Adobe Reader. When I print and select "Document and Markups," it only prints the documents and the check boxes (which do show on my screen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a sample? It may be that printing is not allowed. There was also a problem with viewing the fields in some versions of Acrobat. That was taken care of with updates I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix for printing the data in the fields.  Using Acrobat 8 Professional I went to the field editing and selected all the fields and made them no fill. Some were white, some were none, but doing this made all of them visible and printable without losing the data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the help chrispjd, solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that this is related to an issue with Acrobat Forms that are filled out on Mac OSX.  Apparently Mac OSX's Preview.app isn't writing any appearance into the form fields nor  it is setting the "needs appearance" flag within the PDF. Here is a link to a fix for the issue from Joel Geraci's blog at Script to Fix Mac OSX  Preview.app Form Fill and Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lori. The link you posted doesn't work but I was able to Google for Joel's blog and download the script. For other it's at http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfdevjunkie/2009/11/script_to_fix_mac_osx_previewa.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I completed a forty eight page questionaire for a client, the task took me four hours to complete on a windows ten OS. As a precaution, because some of the fields were complicated, I used the 'save' facility. After a break, I went to complete  the form. All the data had diasappeared. I tried the solutions suggested  - clicking on the field etcetera to no avail. I had to redo the whole form, which took another four hours; but this time I did not touch the 'save' button, completed the form in one session and printed it off. I was relieved that this time I was successful but very angry at the complete uselessness of Adobe, particularly as the form was from a government department and essential for my client's welfare.

What did I do wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, but it's very hard to say for sure without knowing what exact application you used, what version number, what file you filled-in, how you did it, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  A form created in Acrobat 9 Pro and posted on our website for people to download, complete and email back.  Sometimes they are fine.  Others come back looking blank, with the boxes 'blued out'.  If you click on a field, the data appears in that field only.  When you click on another field, the data in the first diappears, and the clicked one appears.

Because this seems to work in some cases and not others, I wonder if it might have anything to do with the version of Acrobat the user has.

Having bought Acrobat 9 Pro just so that I could do this, I would love to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most likely cause was mentioned by Lori. For a recent topic with more information, see: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/750334?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think this occurs when the initial user fills out the form using a MAC. Any way the easiest and quickest solution I found was to convert it back to a word document and save it, then covert it back to a PDF and all data will be visible and availble. Hope this helps. 

Natalie 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines