No. At this point you probably need to remove both and install only one.
One of the reasons Adobe only recommends one is that they use files in
common. If you remove or change one you can break the other.
Remove both if possible. Run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool then
install one and only one of them.
Well, after wasting a whole day on this at least it appears I've got Acrobat 9.0 working and can open my .pdf's - no thanks to Adobe...
Word of warning to others - DON'T DO Adobe UPDATES!
If it is working, leave it alone!
I will NEVER trust Adobe software again..
and will do my best to warn others...
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em think
As a last resort before ginving up on Acrobat, I suggest that you try to remove Acrobat using Microsoft's Windows Clean Install Cleanup. You might have some junk in your registry that Add/Remove did not remove. Then you can try reinstalling Acrobat.
I had similar problems as you have had. They went away after i started with a clean slate.
Good luck to you!
Thanks Ken. I did un-install all Acro products and ran MSICUU2. I then installed Acrobat 9.0 (from my CD) and Reader 9.0. Everything is now working and I can open my .pdf's to continue working.
I won't be doing any 'updates' - not until something is published about what is going with 9.1.0 - which I doubt Adobe will 'fes up too.
So, did you 'update' to 9.1.0?
Honestly, if I could get my $300 back from Adobe I would give their stuff right back to them and never use their products again.
If anyone from Adobe is watching these forums, take my statement as a challenge - I dare them to offer my money back! Who knows, maybe that would show other unhappy users that they (Adobe) care about more then just the one sale...
Well, for now all I can do is get my money out of this product... and find another way...
I see a lot more html/php/cgi/etc. scripting in my future...
Ken, what version of 'Windows Install Cleanup utility' are you using? and were did you get it?
I've downloaded and used msicuu2.exe, ver. 4.71.1015.0, directly from Microsoft Support. Seems to be a little different from the one I downloaded back in April '07. The older one has the same ver. stamp but is 349kb - new one is 351kb.
Both install and show as 3.00.00.0000 in Add/Remove Programs.
I have the same version of the Windows Install Cleanup Utility and file name as you. The file size is 357,424 (349 KB) or 360,448 (352 KB) on disk. My file system is NTFS. I downloaded it October 2005. The last modification date was in November 2006 due to auto updates. It has always done what I asked of it.
I cannot say what the effect will be, if any, having two copies of the "same" utility installed.
I have the same problem after upgrading to Acrobat Pro 9.1. I have both Reader and Acrobat Pro on my system because I sometimes prefer using Reader to Acrobat because it opens quicker, and I can double check security settings on pdf files I've created.
A conflict between these two programs seems like weak programing to me, and advice to remove one of them sounds like Adobe wants to take the easy way out.
Thanks RTCruiser - at least two of us think we (the user) should have a option of what software we prefer to use for our needs...
Adobe thinks its only what they need to make an easier buck...
Anyway, after cleaning up the v9.1.0 mess I have Acrobat v9 and Reader v9 installed on the same system and it works... no more updates until Adobe cleans up its act. No more $upgrades$ either...
When I had both Reader and Acrobat on the same system, I had many problems with Acrobat. When I deleted Reader and kept Acrobat, the problems disappeared. Since that time, I have had no problems with Acrobat (updated to version 9.1) whatsoever. If this wounds "weak," I apologize. [grin]
You do not need and should not have both installed since Reader's functions are a subset of Acrobat's.
I guess I am not the only one when it comes to crashed after update to Acrobat 9.1.0.
Major bug so far that i see is I cannot copy simple text from any PDF file after the update. It immediately crashed Acrobat with this:
AppName: acrobat.exe AppVer: 184.108.40.206 ModName: saveasrtf.api
ModVer: 220.127.116.11 Offset: 0000237a
I first noticed it when I tried to copy something from inside Firefox - my browser would just close and ask me to restart...
Repair didn't do any good, just a waste of about 30 minutes of my time. I had to fully uninstall and reinstall 9.0 to figure out what went wrong.
Everything works fine in 9.0 - Nothing works fine in 9.1. Strangely there were no problems in Reader 9.1...
People stay away from upgrading to 9.1!!!