7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 5:02 AM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start

rucky544
      I have just installed dreamweaver CS4 onto my Vista Ultimate laptop, the installation appeared to go fine, but when I try to run DW CS4 I get the green spash screen, that disappears and then I get nothing! It doesn't crash the computer, everything else still works fine, just no DW.

A while ago I installed DW8, which did the same thing. So bought the latest version from Adobe assuming that would fix it. I uninstalled the previous Macromedia suite 8 before installing CS4.

I have uninstalled CS4, cleaned up totally with the CS4 Cleanup Utility. Removed a font the log file had marked as having an error. Reinstalled everything and still have the same problem.

Any Ideas?
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start
          Level 7
          After reading a few post and google search this solution seems to fix your
          problem

It is a corrupted file called WinFileCache-[random_numbers].dat. You will
          find this file on vista in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration.
          Where 9 could be different depending on your version.
          Simply delete the file and restart Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps

aka Frenchy ASP
          "rucky544" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ge4qko$suu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have just installed dreamweaver CS4 onto my Vista Ultimate laptop, the
          > installation appeared to go fine, but when I try to run DW CS4 I get the
          > green
          > spash screen, that disappears and then I get nothing! It doesn't crash the
          > computer, everything else still works fine, just no DW.
          >
          > A while ago I installed DW8, which did the same thing. So bought the
          > latest
          > version from Adobe assuming that would fix it. I uninstalled the previous
          > Macromedia suite 8 before installing CS4.
          >
          > I have uninstalled CS4, cleaned up totally with the CS4 Cleanup Utility.
          > Removed a font the log file had marked as having an error. Reinstalled
          > everything and still have the same problem.
          >
          > Any Ideas?
          >

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start
            rucky544 Level 1
            quote:

It is a corrupted file called WinFileCache-[random_numbers].dat. You will
            find this file on vista in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration.
            Where 9 could be different depending on your version.
            Simply delete the file and restart Dreamweaver.

Thanks for looking into it Frenchy, but still no good.

I have looked in the adobe roaming folder, the only dreamweaver folder there was the CS4 folder, so marked that up as old (after I had uninstalled it... again)

Also rolled back with a system restore to before Studio 8 was installed.

Unfotunatally I am still getting the same problem. Windows gave me the "useful" message the the program is not working!

Any more ideas?
            • 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start
              Level 7
              here is another post on CS4 crashing on vista. Maybe this one will help

It's seem that GFX card could be in fault. This post is really not that
              clear Anyway here is the post
              http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=309357

And this part of it. But you know what. it woudn't surprise me at all if
              the video card was in fault.
              <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
              Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX
              GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
              Radeon HD 4850

CS3 runs fine on 2 computers, never an issue, but it crashed the 6700 with
              the 9800 GTX card. So I swapped out that card with a GeForce 8600 GT and CS3
              works fine now, on all 3 computers. I'd figure I could stick the 9800GTX
              back in once I installed CS4, but wow, crashes galore.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

aka Frenchy ASP
              ps thanks for the tips about out dated informations.
              news:ge52kt$aeq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >
              quote:

> It is a corrupted file called WinFileCache-[random_numbers].dat. You will
              > find this file on vista in
              >
              > C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration.
              > Where 9 could be different depending on your version.
              > Simply delete the file and restart Dreamweaver.
              >

>
              > Thanks for looking into it Frenchy, but still no good.
              >
              > I have looked in the adobe roaming folder, the only dreamweaver folder
              > there
              > was the CS4 folder, so marked that up as old (after I had uninstalled
              > it...
              > again)
              >
              > Also rolled back with a system restore to before Studio 8 was installed.
              >
              > Unfotunatally I am still getting the same problem. Windows gave me the
              > "useful" message the the program is not working!
              >
              > Any more ideas?
              >

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start
                Level 7
                Ok maybe you bought a collection and not just dremweaver. But maybe my fix
                is still good. In the CS4 folder is there a folder call configuration with
                the file I have mentionned before. If so try deleting it anyway. If not
                then sorry. Will still look more.

I am just waiting to get the trial version of CS4 master collection when it
                comes out and will installed on my Vista test PC. Then i hope having some
                kind of problem so I can start begin to troubleshoot. Until now I will keep
                looking in others post to try and help.

Doing my best aka Frenchy ASP
                news:ge52kt$aeq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >
                quote:

> It is a corrupted file called WinFileCache-[random_numbers].dat. You will
                > find this file on vista in
                >
                > C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration.
                > Where 9 could be different depending on your version.
                > Simply delete the file and restart Dreamweaver.
                >

>
                > Thanks for looking into it Frenchy, but still no good.
                >
                > I have looked in the adobe roaming folder, the only dreamweaver folder
                > there
                > was the CS4 folder, so marked that up as old (after I had uninstalled
                > it...
                > again)
                >
                > Also rolled back with a system restore to before Studio 8 was installed.
                >
                > Unfotunatally I am still getting the same problem. Windows gave me the
                > "useful" message the the program is not working!
                >
                > Any more ideas?
                >

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start
                  Level 7
                  I guess I should be more precise. If I had the same problem you are
                  encountering I would do a full search in CS4 folder for the file
                  WinFileCache*.dat and delete it. You have nothing to loose.

Plus here is a post if you have an Acer computer
                  http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=72&catid=674&threadid =1391324&enterthread=y

And last it could be a conflit with another program, but the video card
                  seems to be a good avenue, if all of the above failed try disabling
                  everything that is not related to Vista operation with MSConfig, and restart
                  dreamweaver. I know this should be done by Adobe tech support, but hey.....

Still just rying to help
                  aka Frenchy ASP
                  "Alain St-Pierre" <alainetcolleen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
                  news:ge55g1$e81$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Ok maybe you bought a collection and not just dremweaver. But maybe my
                  > fix is still good. In the CS4 folder is there a folder call configuration
                  > with the file I have mentionned before. If so try deleting it anyway. If
                  > not then sorry. Will still look more.
                  >
                  > I am just waiting to get the trial version of CS4 master collection when
                  > it comes out and will installed on my Vista test PC. Then i hope having
                  > some kind of problem so I can start begin to troubleshoot. Until now I
                  > will keep looking in others post to try and help.
                  >
                  > Doing my best aka Frenchy ASP
                  > "rucky544" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:ge52kt$aeq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>
                  quote:

>> It is a corrupted file called WinFileCache-[random_numbers].dat. You
                  >> will
                  >> find this file on vista in
                  >>
                  >> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration.
                  >> Where 9 could be different depending on your version.
                  >> Simply delete the file and restart Dreamweaver.
                  >>

>>
                  >> Thanks for looking into it Frenchy, but still no good.
                  >>
                  >> I have looked in the adobe roaming folder, the only dreamweaver folder
                  >> there
                  >> was the CS4 folder, so marked that up as old (after I had uninstalled
                  >> it...
                  >> again)
                  >>
                  >> Also rolled back with a system restore to before Studio 8 was installed.
                  >>
                  >> Unfotunatally I am still getting the same problem. Windows gave me the
                  >> "useful" message the the program is not working!
                  >>
                  >> Any more ideas?
                  >>
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start
                    rucky544 Level 1
                    It is an Acer Aspire.... We have updated the eData Secure Disk software from http://www.egistec.com/oem-acer001/program-update.html and it has cleared up the problem.

A very big thank you!

Paul
                    • 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 fails to start
                      Level 7
                      Alain St-Pierre wrote:
                      > Plus here is a post if you have an Acer computer
                      > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=72&catid=674&threadid =1391324&enterthread=y

Good catch Alain!

Dooza