3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 3:27 PM by (Tony_May)

How can I unlock the print settings

I'm so angry at adobe ebooks. I have had to buy an ebook for a course I'm doing at university, because my library doesn't have, my campus book store doesn't have it, and I cannot find a hard copy in any of the book stores in my area. My lecturer has set 5 chapters of this book for required course reading, I buy an online copy from a book store, only to find that I cannot copy and paste the text (which I need to do as I am doing an assignment), and I can only print 10 pages per day (meaning I cannot even print out a chapter at a time so I can do my readings).

The main reason I'm angry about this is that computer screen resolution is 72dpi and a physical copy of the book from a printer is at least 300dpi. I get eyestrain reading from a computer screen, and now I can even print out a proper hard copy to do my work. THIS IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!

At least 80% of my readings are journal papers or articles which can be found online, and normally I can copy and paste the text to microsoft word and adjust the formatting so that I can actually read 3-400 pages of text and still be able to see afterwards. I'm NEVER buying another ebook again, and I'm going try and get my lecturer to set an alternate text for next time he teaches this course.

If there was a copy in the library I could at the very least photocopy the pages I need (which is where I get the rest of my readings from) so that I could to the reading in a reasonable amount of time. Only being to print 10 pages a day is a complete joke.

If an author actually wants their text to be studied and used in an academic setting, they shouldn't publish it in ebook form!!!

• 1. Re: How can I unlock the print settings
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          >If an author actually wants their text to be studied and used in an academic setting, they shouldn't publish it in ebook form!!!

You should let the author and publisher know. They made this choice,
          it isn't automatic for all ebooks.

>If there was a copy in the library I could at the very least photocopy the pages I need

It may be worth noting that this is considered illegal in many
          countries, and may be exactly the reason why they made the choice. So, you probably want to leave this out of any complaint you make if you want to be taken seriously.

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: How can I unlock the print settings
            Yeah... the author made the decision not to make the ebook printable. Contact them, tell them your situation and see if the can email you another version that is printable!
            • 3. Re: How can I unlock the print settings
              Level 1
              Fair use in Australia extends to 10% of the the words or one chapter of a published book.

Why should it take me a whole week to print out one chapter. I've got other research material to look at, and other things to do. It shouldn't take me a whole week to do what you should be allowed to do in one sitting.

A pages per day limit is useless when it comes to the purpose study. It should at the very least be a chapters/month option.

Also, if adobe is controlling the online security of the intellectual property, the onus should be on them to adhere to the copyrights in the various regions in which the intellectual property is distributed.

They should be able to the register the ip of the computer contacting there ebook database and figure out what country the user is in and apply the relevant copyright controls.

The Canadian comedy channel website manages to regionally control its content, I really don't see why this should be a problem for a multinational like adobe.