4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 11:01 AM by craigmini

quicktime plugin not found

craigmini
      When I click play in properties to view a quicktime file in Dreamveaver 8 a dialog box opens and says dreamweaver looks in configuration/plugins and in my installed browers for the necessary plugin to play video. But if I preview the page in either Firefoy or IE the video plays. I tried to copy the quicktime files directly into the plugin folder of Dreamweaver but that did not help. I have been searching for a long time to find the answer. What am I doing wrong or overlooking? Thank you
        • 1. Re: quicktime plugin not found
          Level 7
          Don't view QT movies in DW. Hit "Preview/Debug in Browser" to test your
          movie. Incidentally, if your site visitors don't have the QT plug-in
          installed for their browser, they won't be able to play your movie.
          Consider offering Flash video which has much wider support on both win/mac
          systems.

Nancy O.
          Alt-Web Design & Publishing
          www.alt-web.com

• 2. Re: quicktime plugin not found
            craigmini Level 1
            Thank you Nancy for the reply. That is how I do test and view my video. I do it in the browser. But have I misunderstood the meaning of the play button in the properties inspector? Is this a bug in Dreamweaver 8? It is just that I have spent a lot of time trying to install the necessary plugin's for Dreamweaver and would like to know what I am doing wrong. From what I have read Dreamweaver looks first for the plugin in its own configuration/plugin folder and if not found goes to the installed browsers on my system. Both Firefox and IE will play any of the video files I embed in my web pages so it is my understanding that Dreamweaver should also play them in the design view if I hit the play button if the video file is selected. How have I got this wrong? Thanks again
            • 3. Re: quicktime plugin not found
              Level 7
              DW isn't a browser. Insert Media > You'll find support for Flash and SWF
              but no support for QT or Windows Media...

Nancy O.
              Alt-Web Design & Publishing
              www.alt-web.com

• 4. Re: quicktime plugin not found
                craigmini Level 1
                If it is not possible to preview video except Flash and SWF then I would think Adobe should say so and not lead us to believe that if we have the necessary plugins we can view our media directly in DW 8.

Thank you for your time and help.