10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 3:54 PM by rainbow69

Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?

Level 1
      I just received a PDF file created from a Word document, where one (1) URL was enabled, but none of four (4) hyperlinkls were enabled. The latter links were done using Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' <Cntl-K> function while the former was simple text ('http://www.cal...' etc.). I had assumed that all five links would be enabled. Is there a solution, please? The Adobe support group was unable to help and directed me here.

I was using the Trial service, but this is a show stopper - I cannot pay if this crucial function is unavailable with the Online service - and it certainly is supported with Acrobat itself.

And this useless conversion has now used up one of my five trial attempts.

As a related aside, some users with other .pdf files where links are enabled get the error "Acrobat does not allow connection to: ...". The associated Help says that Acrobat "warns" you of problems, but I'm told there's no way to override this "warning" - i.e. it seems to 'block', rather than "warn". Cheers, Brett Aubrey.
        • 1. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          Note that it probably didn't make any links at all. Turning typed
          hyperlinks into links (http://...) is something Acrobat/Reader will do
          whenever it sees one. It's an option. Under Edit > Preferences >
          General look under the General tab for "Create links from URLs".

I have no knowledge on whether Create PDF Online is supposed to create
          links from Word hyperlink fields. It may depend how you make the PDF,
          so it is worth describing how you did this (bearing in mind there is
          more than one way).

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
            Level 1
            Thanks... I just created a web case and posed the same query here, before I noted your response. Re your response, whan the Trial version failed to do this, I found that you needed to be a subsciber to use this function - so it does according to Adobe.

If it depend on how I created the PDF, I can change that - *if* I know how... I've now tried several ways, so it seems not worth describing. I just need to know what to do.

At the risk of repetition, here's what my other entry says, edited due to your info...

All I wish to have done is have 'inserted hyperlinks' in a Word document enabled. I've had this done with Acrobat and the trial version said I needed to subscribe. So I did, but it failed to enable them with default settings for some reason. Then when I try creating a tagged PDF, it fails with:

"Document processing discontinued : Unable to create a Tagged PDF file when 'Highlight changes in printed document' is selected. Either deselect the setting or create a non-tagged PDF file."

I can't find 'Highlight changes...' anywhere.

How do I enable links? This is apparently a 30 second process with Acrobat. Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
              "Highlight changes" MIGHT be the same thing as Tools > Track changes.
              Wild guess.

Aandi Inston
              • 4. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
                Level 1
                No - it seems not. After looking for anything to do with this on the Create Online site, I tried changing it in Word... same problem arose. But thanks.
                • 5. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
                  Level 1
                  hi Brett, Did you ever fix the
                  Acrobat does not allow connection to:
                  mailto:xxxx.

I made a simple Course evaluation form. In LiveCycle Designer LC (part Acro 9 Ex Pro)When my client try to the Email Button They get a obtuse error.

Acrobat does not allow connection to:
                  mailto:xxxx.yyy@zzz.com?subject=Course Appraisal Survey.

Apparently LifeCycle and Acrobat are not that compatible - go figure
                  I have tried extending rights in reader but still does not work..
                  From trawling thru the Net the best advice is rebuild the form in Acrobat NOT LiveCycle. ANy thoughts?
                  Cheers
                  Gazzzz
                  • 7. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
                    Level 1
                    Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue, as I have carried out a search on the forums before posting?
                    • 8. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
                      Level 1

Hi: I had a co-worker go through what it sounds like you're dealing with on the "Highlighted changes" issue for word to PDF conversions.  I thought I'd lend you a hand, but didn't catch what version of Word you're using, or have since misplaced that information, and will give you the information from a Word 2003 perspective (word 2000 is similar - not sure about 2007).

The Highlight changes is part of the Track Changes in Word, and you have to actually go into the Tools/Options to change this, but it isn't actually on the Track Changes Tab.  It took us quite a while to figure this out!  In Word, if you don't need to track changes, it's best to turn it off, as Microsoft even reports there are 'issues' that can arise from use of those features.  We ended up removing all the coloring for the changes and authors in the Track Changes tab just to be safe, and I should mention that if you do track changes, you need to use the Reviewing Toolbar before doing the conversion into PDF to make sure that you've processed all changes - "Accept  All Changes" and that you're in the Final View, rather than "final with markup" or some other.  Otherwise, you chance the PDF conversion going off to another bizarre tangent like what you're dying to see an answer to..

The highlighting of changed items that PDF can't process is on the Word Tools/Options "SECURITY TAB".   This is also where you'd find the answer to the issue about the acrobat not allowing the connection to..."   The first time acrobat tries connecting to the internet, a pop up box appears asking if it's allowed to let the file open do so, and if you answer yes, you're good, but if you answer no, it blocks without further warning.  I honestly do not know where this mysterious box is after you answer it.  Luckily we ended up upgrading the reader to a newly released one, and became more careful.

The Word security tab has options like warn before printing a file that has hidden changes, or comments /highlights; and making hidden markup visible when you open and save files to make it easier to spot quickly!

In Word, on the security tab, there is a section about Privacy, and you should look carefully at those settings, as the hidden information popping into PDF and confusing it can be supressed in this options section. Also, I suggest removing your personal info on saves to help w/ your privacy.

I think by turning track options  off and/or accepting all changes just before you convert to make sure they're gone, removing the comment balloons option, and chnaging the privacy information boxes will fix your issue.  Of course,I do want to add that you may also look at the print tab, for printing options that allow or disable printing of hidden text, postscripts over top of text, field codes, document properties, etc., all of which can slow down,m or stop the pdf conversion.  The view tab's formatting  marks, of course, should all be emptied after you finish removing the tracked changes or accepting them, but if for some reason, you're still with issue, try manuallly removing all the formatting items in the view tab, showing highlights, bookmarks, and field codes, or just go back to the basics, and use the compatability tab, and deny your version of Word to use anything created after a version that you know and feel comfortable with not having these new and error-prone complex features!  Sometimes we're all safer that way!

Images for those tool options with no selections marked/designatted are in the attached document to give you a sort of 'final stand to bypass the error if you find these options totally useless and painful to work around!

While I know this is a long answer post covering many topics, I wanted to also throw out a reason for your links (jhttp:// in text vs. use of the add hyperling format "underlined text - with url hidden") not converting properly for you in PDF.   If you look at yotur word options for "AUTOCORRECT" you will see an option to replace internet and network paths with hyperlinks on the AUTOFORMAT Tab.  This option will toggle whether or not the URLs are clickable if used in regular text.  If you see when typing in word the http: address go active in hyperlink as soon as you hit enter or a space while typing your address, its because word is autocorrecting what it wants to believe is an error for a hyperlink and makes it active.  You can immediately click "Edit" "undo autoformat" to revert that one change, or turn it off/on in the correction options if you're needing the links or needing to not make them clickable (as sometimes clickable links, error out when Adobe can't locate the right paths, and that causes more harm than just simply taking them out.   Simply put, if the hyperlink in word is active, pdf will catch it, however, if it's not underlined and clickable from the word document in hyperlink format, the autocorrect is not set right, and you can just open the link by adding a hyperlink and repasting the url text in the url box so it shows in both places, and make the manual clickable change needed for the pdf.

I hope that helps you, and remember on hyperlinks in word - if they are plentiful and you find you're having issue in pdf from them, don't fret, just save you a second copy of the word document, select ALL your Text "Edit/Select ALL" and then click Hyperlink, remove hyperlink -- or right click and remove hyperlink.. They'll all go away, and you can reinsert the ones that you want the way you need.  Sure beats the heck out of trying to do a document with over 4000 of those annoying things manually!

(the only way to undo the hyperlink global removal, is to revert to that 'other saved version' I told you to create beforehand!   -- friendly warning..

Have a good one - I think I've covered your issues, and you'll be back in the smiling booth again!

(you won't see me thee --  my issues are a bit more complex and overwhelmingly difficult!!)

• 9. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
                        Level 1

Hi: I had a co-worker go through what it sounds like you're dealing with on the "Highlighted changes" issue for word to PDF conversions.  I thought I'd lend you a hand, but didn't catch what version of Word you're using, or have since misplaced that information, and will give you the information from a Word 2003 perspective (word 2000 is similar - not sure about 2007).

The Highlight changes is part of the Track Changes in Word, and you have to actually go into the Tools/Options to change this, but it isn't actually on the Track Changes Tab.  It took us quite a while to figure this out!  In Word, if you don't need to track changes, it's best to turn it off, as Microsoft even reports there are 'issues' that can arise from use of those features.  We ended up removing all the coloring for the changes and authors in the Track Changes tab just to be safe, and I should mention that if you do track changes, you need to use the Reviewing Toolbar before doing the conversion into PDF to make sure that you've processed all changes - "Accept  All Changes" and that you're in the Final View, rather than "final with markup" or some other.  Otherwise, you chance the PDF conversion going off to another bizarre tangent like what you're dying to see an answer to..

The highlighting of changed items that PDF can't process is on the Word Tools/Options "SECURITY TAB".   This is also where you'd find the answer to the issue about the acrobat not allowing the connection to..."   The first time acrobat tries connecting to the internet, a pop up box appears asking if it's allowed to let the file open do so, and if you answer yes, you're good, but if you answer no, it blocks without further warning.  I honestly do not know where this mysterious box is after you answer it.  Luckily we ended up upgrading the reader to a newly released one, and became more careful.

The Word security tab has options like warn before printing a file that has hidden changes, or comments /highlights; and making hidden markup visible when you open and save files to make it easier to spot quickly!

In Word, on the security tab, there is a section about Privacy, and you should look carefully at those settings, as the hidden information popping into PDF and confusing it can be supressed in this options section. Also, I suggest removing your personal info on saves to help w/ your privacy.

I think by turning track options  off and/or accepting all changes just before you convert to make sure they're gone, removing the comment balloons option, and chnaging the privacy information boxes will fix your issue.  Of course,I do want to add that you may also look at the print tab, for printing options that allow or disable printing of hidden text, postscripts over top of text, field codes, document properties, etc., all of which can slow down,m or stop the pdf conversion.  The view tab's formatting  marks, of course, should all be emptied after you finish removing the tracked changes or accepting them, but if for some reason, you're still with issue, try manuallly removing all the formatting items in the view tab, showing highlights, bookmarks, and field codes, or just go back to the basics, and use the compatability tab, and deny your version of Word to use anything created after a version that you know and feel comfortable with not having these new and error-prone complex features!  Sometimes we're all safer that way!

Images for those tool options with no selections marked/designatted are in the attached document to give you a sort of 'final stand to bypass the error if you find these options totally useless and painful to work around!

While I know this is a long answer post covering many topics, I wanted to also throw out a reason for your links (jhttp:// in text vs. use of the add hyperling format "underlined text - with url hidden") not converting properly for you in PDF.   If you look at yotur word options for "AUTOCORRECT" you will see an option to replace internet and network paths with hyperlinks on the AUTOFORMAT Tab.  This option will toggle whether or not the URLs are clickable if used in regular text.  If you see when typing in word the http: address go active in hyperlink as soon as you hit enter or a space while typing your address, its because word is autocorrecting what it wants to believe is an error for a hyperlink and makes it active.  You can immediately click "Edit" "undo autoformat" to revert that one change, or turn it off/on in the correction options if you're needing the links or needing to not make them clickable (as sometimes clickable links, error out when Adobe can't locate the right paths, and that causes more harm than just simply taking them out.   Simply put, if the hyperlink in word is active, pdf will catch it, however, if it's not underlined and clickable from the word document in hyperlink format, the autocorrect is not set right, and you can just open the link by adding a hyperlink and repasting the url text in the url box so it shows in both places, and make the manual clickable change needed for the pdf.

I hope that helps you, and remember on hyperlinks in word - if they are plentiful and you find you're having issue in pdf from them, don't fret, just save you a second copy of the word document, select ALL your Text "Edit/Select ALL" and then click Hyperlink, remove hyperlink -- or right click and remove hyperlink.. They'll all go away, and you can reinsert the ones that you want the way you need.  Sure beats the heck out of trying to do a document with over 4000 of those annoying things manually!

(the only way to undo the hyperlink global removal, is to revert to that 'other saved version' I told you to create beforehand!   -- friendly warning..

Have a good one - I think I've covered your issues, and you'll be back in the smiling booth again!

(you won't see me thee --  my issues are a bit more complex and overwhelmingly difficult!!)

• 10. Re: Enabling Links Created via Word's 'Insert Hyperlink' Function?
                          Level 1

Hi: I think I can help , but in reading your trail of posts, I found more than one 'issue' and wanted to know which you're still having trouble with, so t can repost the information -- I had answered all your questions with graphic option screens to set and adjust so you knew where to find it all, and evidently the forum did not like either the length of my message,, it's attachment, or the time it took me to type it in -- and lost it all in an error message.

So - we can tackle one at a time out of the issues int he post trail on this item and see if we can get you up and going !

If you want to try and make heads or tails without the logic/reason behind them, the screen images are attached here for the multitude of options panels and tools I went through, as I know if I don't lay the info out as soon as I have it, it will get lost somewhere in a storage drive metropolis of help information and tools (over 30 external drives -- no real storage place on my only pc (tablet laptop)..)

So -- here's the comical pun, and the end-of-frutration twist - and the information that gets you here will come shortly  -- just let me know exactly what issue you want to tackle first, and since I can't seem to find it, what version of WORD you are working from.   (if it's 2007, I am not much hellp other than the possibility that these items will still be there in that newer version.. I've not upgraded due to these nuances that seem to come with added features!