7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2011 8:36 AM by iramency

Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF

Level 1
      I am having a problem converting Word documents that are not standard page size to a PDF. When I do the conversion, the PDF is resized to 8.5 x 11, even though the original WORD doc was 5.5 x 8.5

This happens even when I go into the Acrobat Preferences and change the default page size to 5.5 x 8.5.

The worst of it is, it does not happen with everyone who uses a particular computer here. It happens to some, but not to others.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF
          Level 1
          Strange problem. Does every body convert same page sized word documents ? All use same login?

--
          HTML to PDF Conversion @ http://www.PDFonFly.com
          • 2. Re: Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF
            Level 1
            It's happening the same way on several different computers here.

Everyone logs in with their own userid on each machine. We are all working with the same MS WORD documents. These documents are non-standard sizes -- 6 x 9, or 5.5 x 8.5.

Everyone uses the same version of Acrobat Professional, and selects "Convert to PDF from file".

For some people, the PDF is created from the Word doc, and the original page size is retained. This is what we want.

However, for others, the PDF is created as 8.5 x 11, no matter what the original size of the document was. No amount of fiddling with the default page size, in either Acrobat or Word, changes this.

It is driving me crazy, and I was hoping that at least one other person on the planet has come across this problem. Is this an Adobe or a Microsoft problem? Could it be a Windows registry setting?

Advice is appreciated!
            • 3. Re: Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF
              Level 1
              Are you using Office 2007? If yes, Microsoft has also provide a PDf Conversion addon (SaveAsPDF) for office 2007. Download from http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/5/3/b5370004-d59d-493f-b005-2299ffca8596/SaveAsP DF.exe

Regarding your problem with Adobe pro, I'll do some research and let you know If I find any solution.

Thanks

--
              http://www.PDFonFly.com - Free online HTML to PDF Conversion
              • 4. Re: Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF
                Level 1
                I just found a tip on internet. Similar to your problem. It says
                -----------
                If your page size is different than standard letter size, follow these steps.
                1. Choose File > Print.
                2. Choose Adobe PDF as the printer, and then click Properties.
                3. Click the Adobe PDF Settings tab, and then click Add Custom Page.
                4. Specify the page height and width, name the custom page size, and then click
                Add/Modify.
                5. Click OK. The custom page size now appears in the Adobe PDF Page Size list.
                Select it.
                -----------
                Let me know if this helps.

--
                http://www.PDFonFly.com - Free online HTML to PDF Conversion
                • 5. Re: Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF
                  Level 1
                  Hello again!! I think I've got it fixed!! It turns out that a user has to have Admin rights on a particular machine in order to be able to use a custom page size in Adobe. Since we were actually importing a custom page size from the Word doc, the fact that the user did not have Admin rights forced the custome size to be ignored, because it could not be added to the PDF driver properties.

Your tip, plus a tip from our IT dept on changing admin rights, allowed me to fix the problem! I won't know for sure until the person who originally had the problem tries it out, but I was able to correct the problem this way on another ID.

Thank you so much for your assistance!
                  • 6. Re: Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF
                    Deborah Lounsberry Level 1

Your instructions worked perfectly...thank you!  I just came across this same problem and it was driving me crazy!

• 7. Re: Problems retaining page size when converting MS WORD 2007 doc to PDF
                      iramency Level 1

I am having the same problem, but am trying to use the MSWORD'07 to convert into PDF to appear on one of my sites which is actually a blog. I am wondering if because my blog is blogger aka Google that it just isn't formatting correctly or coming to the right size (as I can only go so wide on the margins right now I think I'm at 1250 px and layout).  So my question is, when I use the above "fix above" and adjust sizes, even if I adjust to the proper size it won't format correctly on my blog. I am curious to know if anyone has had this issue, that even with showing "original size" on blogger it isn't really original size.  Has anyone tried a "click and supersize" code on a PDF file or does one exist? Clueless in Adobeland. Ira Mency