14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 9:09 PM by Sundance521

Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE

I know folks tell me to get use to the creation of a zillion files, but at least give us the option to just punch in just just like on 1.5. You punch, merge and you've moved on. I swear the the lack of the old punch really, really sucks!! I did track half of a session in 3.0 before reverting back to 1.5.

Seems like everything else would be nifty though.
        • 1. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
          Yes, please!

Perhaps I'm just missing something, but in the addition of the housekeeping nightmare of maintaining dozens of files where I used to only worry about one, I can no longer apply editing effects like Noise Gate to one file and be done with it. I now have to apply the same effect over and over to every segment. Please tell me I'm missing something obvious.

I've done trials of versions 2 and 3, and unless we at least get the option of foregoing "direct to disk," you'll have to pry v1.5 from my cold, dead hands. No more upgrades for me.
          • 2. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
            Yes I agree with this Please Please allow us to work as we used to.
            I have had to go back to using 1.5 for all my tracking work because of this.
            I do a lot of multi channel vocals and instrumentation which requires take after take.
            I was spending hours going through tons of unescessary files to clean out my directories which were getting full... of junk!
            There was no problem the old way anyhow, there was always a nag to warn you about not saving a file, or deleting an important one.
            Merging the bits together worked quite well and was very fast. Then adding an effect to it was easy peasy.
            I don't think I have ever lost a needed file with the old Audition.
            I'm still wondering "what were they thinking?"
            An option to turn off the current recording method is all we need.
            • 3. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
              SteveG(AudioMasters) Level 6
              >I'm still wondering "what were they thinking?"

I think that there's universal agreement with the sentiment of this thread - I've not heard a single vote in favour of the present method of saving everything, regardless.

But as far as I can tell, the answer to the above question can simply be summed up by saying 'Sod's Law'. You apparently need to keep everything, because there is inevitably going to be one time that you will overwrite a track, and the artiste drops dead during the overdub, and you wish you had the previous one, which was almost perfect, and reflected a 'final performance'...

Oh yeah... I think that at that stage, the missing track will be the very least of your problems!
              • 4. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                Just another drop in the bucket to say the new punch system drives me bonkers. The old one was so sweetly simple, and the new one is consistently in the way.
                • 5. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                  I've been using Audition 2/3 for quite some time and while I like the majority of the features and improvements, the new punch system is absymal. I spend half my time trying to find the punches when they somehow disappear behind the original track... I've ended up deleting a punch until I get as close to perfect and then saving everyime. Please bring back the old way of punching with the merge feature!

Also, maybe I've been doing something wrong, but previously you could start a punch at the end of the track and it would continue recording past the end. I can't seem to accomplish this anymore, is there something I'm missing?
                  • 6. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                    The new punchin system has it's merits. But the old way was much more streamlined and made more sense. If AA saves every take, then AA should purge all unused takes when it closes down.

Or how about this? Make it optional what method you want to use for a particular part of the song. For example "PUNCH IN" and "PUNCH OVER" functions. Punch-in would be the classic way, and punch-over would be the new way. Really the new way, you are just punching over the previous take. Not punching into it in a destrucive (but convenient) way.
                    • 7. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                      SuiteSpot Level 4
                      > AA should purge all unused takes when it closes down

Trust me there will come a time when you will regret that if adobe bring that in.

The only problem I have with the punch in is when you click somewhere else and the punch in dissapears behind the track (and there is no option to lock in time by default)

You really only want to only clean up your takes after your final mix.
                      Use this and it will make it dead easy http://www.mediasweeper.com.au
                      • 8. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                        Level 1
                        I was assisting and performing at a session last night in which the system being used was pro tools. I hope I'm not missing anything here bacuase I don't do PT but they were punching in on the fly by just hitting the # "3" key! Way Cool. Additionally, files are automaticlly saved on the fly because these guys didn't have to stop to save anything. I was amazed. However, if they PT were not so hung up on the propriety hardware and the mediocre conversion that their "affordable" models, I'm semi happy with AA 1.5 and will stick with it. Once Audition fixes the punching capability and streamlines the wave mangagement, I'll go with a future release. 3.00 remains unused on my sytem.
                        • 9. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                          SuiteSpot Level 4
                          > Additionally, files are automaticlly saved on the fly because these guys didn't have to stop to save anything

> folks tell me to get use to the creation of a zillion files

I'm confused - that's what AA does is save every punch in automatically. Now either PT creates a new file for every punch in (read a zillion files for a zillion punch ins) or it over writes the last punch in automatically.

So it either does the same as AA or worse it gives you no option to go "oh can we use the previous punch in instead?"

I know which method I prefer.

> they were punching in on the fly by just hitting the # "3" key! Way Cool.

Well how dumb is that!

In AA once you have defined your punch in area you just press record!

You just keep pressing record everytime you want to punch in - even if its a zillion times.

Oh and if you have a client that says "oh can we use take no. 4,612 rather than the last one" - guess what it will be there :-)
                          • 10. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE

Add my voice to those who want the old punch in method back. I bought a new computer a few months ago and at the same time upgraded to v3. Unfortunately, my new computer came loaded with Vista Premium. I still have my v2 disc, however it is my understanding that v2 won't work with Vista. So at least until Adobe opens their ears and listens to what their customers want, I am stuck with this new method of punch in. I HATE that I have to spend so much time manually deleting unused files!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ADOBE, ARE YOU LISTENING???????????

• 11. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                              dstdean Level 2

"I HATE that I have to spend so much time manually deleting unused files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Have you looked at this handy little app to help you with that???

--Dean

• 12. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                                Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, Dean. I have downloaded the app (and given the donation too). I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again! NJ

• 13. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                                  dstdean Level 2

Hey, Michael (the author of MediaSweeper) writes some VERY good stuff.  I have it on good authority, though, that many folks that have downloaded the app have not been as kind and honest as you and have skipped the donation.  Good on ya, Sundance, for being a forthright individual and making a donation!!

--Dean

• 14. Re: Bring Back Old Punch In Capabilities PLEASE
                                    Level 1

Thanks, Dean. I appreciate the kind words. I wouldn't have felt right about
                                    just downloading the app and not supporting the author. I haven't used it
                                    yet, but I am sure it will do what it's supposed to do! Thanks also for the
                                    heads-up, I will check out some of his other stuff and see what I might be
                                    able to use.

NJ (sundance)