2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2008 3:00 PM by Ozpeter

how about a mac version?

i used to use cool edit pro (before i switched to mac), but all of my studio friends use protools, nuendo, and logic. given adobe's considerable reputation amongst graphic artists on the mac platform, i'd think that you could really get some market share of the audio world if you went cross platform and added a few of the standard audio recording "must haves" that are being incorporated into every other audio package. adding VST support was a good step in the right direction, but adding stuff like AU and REwire support would be nice. I've always considered cool edit/audition to be superior in it's audio processing capabilities and considerations, but a little bit more coordination with the rest of the audio industry could really open a world of possibilities. i'm not suggesting you go all proprietary or entry level like a lot of the products out there, but i think audition is all but invisible to most recording enthusiasts and music studios. it's just not a blip on their radar. i think a mac version with added features geared towards the logic/nuendo/protools crowd could be a good thing. i don't want to dumb down the power or totally change the feel, just bring it into the current pro audio climate. maybe audition CS3 could flip the audio world on it's head...
        • 1. Re: how about a mac version?
          Level 1
          laynerogers@adobeforums.com wrote:

> used to use cool edit pro (before i switched to mac), but all of my
          > studio friends use protools, nuendo, and logic. given adobe's
          > considerable reputation amongst graphic artists on the mac platform,

At least as good points could be made in favour of a linux version now that
          Microsoft will abandon Windows in favour of Vista.

You need to understand that an application that relies so much on device
          driver interface as Audition does is a lot less easy to port than an
          application that relies on keyboard, mouse or equivalent and screen. By that
          logic already the update to Vista compatibility was a move to a different
          platform, the differences between Windows and Vista are so large that it is
          not just a new version.

> i'd think that you could really get some market share of the audio
          > world if you went cross platform and added a few of the standard
          > audio recording "must haves" that are being incorporated into every
          > other audio package. adding VST support was a good step in the right
          > direction, but adding stuff like AU and REwire support would be nice.

My understanding - possibly incomplete since it is a corner of the
          application I don't hang out in - is that rewire is supported.

> I've always considered cool edit/audition to be superior in it's
          > audio processing capabilities and considerations,

It is in my experience very well sounding.

> but a little bit
          > more coordination with the rest of the audio industry could really
          > open a world of possibilities. i'm not suggesting you go all
          > proprietary or entry level like a lot of the products out there,

The removal of the entry level version was a decision to remove a version
          that ushered users to the product line, a CoolEdit 2000 equivalent is
          currently not avaiable from Adobe, but Magix has some very competitive
          prosumer offerings that usher new users in the direction of Samplitude.

> but
          > i think audition is all but invisible to most recording enthusiasts
          > and music studios. it's just not a blip on their radar. i think a mac
          > version with added features geared towards the logic/nuendo/protools
          > crowd could be a good thing. i don't want to dumb down the power or
          > totally change the feel, just bring it into the current pro audio
          > climate. maybe audition CS3 could flip the audio world on it's
          > head...

I certainly agree that Adobe should start to actually market Audition.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen
          • 2. Re: how about a mac version?
            Ozpeter Level 1
            Discussed to death already - see

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3c054d15