3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 8:02 AM by ryclark

Output Video File to 'Microsoft DV Camera And VCR' DV driver

Stephen P Simpson Level 1
      I've just submitted this:

I would like to request that the facility be made available to output the one video file allowed on the session timeline to the 'Microsoft DV Camera And VCR' DV driver for display on a TV monitor via appropriate hardware. Please make this option in addition to the ability to display the video content on a PC monitor, i.e. the four permutations that would be available:

1) No display of video on PC Monitor or TV Monitor;

2) Display of video on PC Monitor but not on TV Monitor;

3) No display of video on PC Monitor but display on TV monitor;

4) Display of video on both PC Monitor and TV Monitor.

Dedicating a TV monitor to display the video will help to free-up PC monitor real estate for the display of other information or controls.
        • 1. Re: Output Video File to 'Microsoft DV Camera And VCR' DV driver
          ryclark Level 6
          Do you mean Microsoft Video Overlay. This works in AA 1.5 if you manage to get a suitable graphics card and drivers. I use it all the time. It is a nuisance that it doesn't work anymore with AA 2 or 3. I have to revert to 1.5 to check my audio tracks against picture.
          • 2. Re: Output Video File to 'Microsoft DV Camera And VCR' DV driver
            Stephen P Simpson Level 1
            Hello Ryclark.

I know what you're talking about but, as far as I understand, no, it's a different thing.

A Microsoft DV Camera and VCR device could be an internal hardware card, an external IEEE 1394 connected piece of hardware such as a Canopus ADVC 110 (http://www.canopus.com/products/videoconversion.php), or a camcorder. An appropriate piece of software can access these devices via the Microsoft DV Camera and VCR device DV driver and either capture DV streams (video and audio) to the computer's hard disk (an ability that is not appropriate for Adobe Audition), or output DV streams (such as a DV file that's on an Audition session timeline) to the device. In the case of the ADVC 110, it has composite and s-video outputs for connection to, say, a video projector or TV monitor.

I find it far better to check sound against a picture that's being displayed on its intended output device i.e. interlaced video content on a TV monitor in order to assess how my soundtrack works with the picture.

When I submitted the feature request I asked only for video output and didn't specify any audio output requirements. This was because I had completely overlooked the audio side of the DV stream. I'd be happy with the output being the original DV file audio, the reasons being a) I wouldn't listen to it anyway, I'd listen to the soundtrack I'd created over the audio monitor system, and b) it stands more chance of being implemented if the request is kept simple. I could ask for the ability to route any bus or track to the audio part of the DV stream, but that would just increase the complexity of the coding. Other than the audio being in sync with the video, I'm not sure how useful that'd be anyway. If I remember correctly, a DV audio stream can be either 48kHz 16-bit stereo or 32kHz 12-bit four channel. Far better to monitor the mix from the PC's multichannel audio outputs.

I realize that there would be latency between the video displayed via a Microsoft DV Camera and VCR device and the audio played through the PC's sound card but hey, we're used to adjusting latency, aren't we?

Regards,

Steve.
            • 3. Re: Output Video File to 'Microsoft DV Camera And VCR' DV driver
              ryclark Level 6
              I was referring to seeing the output on an external professional video monitor. But, yes, being able to stream the video out over Firewire would be just as good. Sony Vegas can do it but I am not sure if Premiere it it's latest form can.