4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2008 3:01 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters)

Multi-band compressor in the FFT style...

RonNovy Level 2
      I'll try to explain it as best I can... I sometimes like to use more then the 4 bands of compression and so I combine multiple multi-band compressors in a way that they don't interfere with each other... So here is my request...

Imagine the GUI from the FFT process/effect with its editable line with a linear/logarithmic frequency display and turn that into multiple lines across the spectrum for Threshold, Attack, Release, Ratio etc... And with an adjustable number of bands, any where from 4 to 16, where they are spaced either linearly across the spectrum or logarithmically. I usually use the same low ratio for each band in the multi-band compressor and just lightly compress things, but I'm never satisfied with the frequency settings so I add more bands and simply change the threshold appropriately for each band. Too little and it can sound weird on some speakers and too many, well it just sounds over compressed, but when there is a lot going on in a mix with many instruments I find many bands with very light compression brings them all up without flattening the mix. The 4 bands just didn't cut it in those situations. It worked with 4, but maybe I'm a little OCD when it comes to the sound...

Does anyone understand what I'm describing here?

[edit] Oh and a frequency display behind it like the current multi-band compressor ;)
        • 1. Re: Multi-band compressor in the FFT style...
          SuiteSpot Level 4
          I guess its Xmas so you can wish for anything :-)
          • 2. Re: Multi-band compressor in the FFT style...
            SteveG(AudioMasters) Level 6
            >I guess its Xmas so you can wish for anything

It's probably the booze talking! Anyway, you can do what the OP wants now if you are a bit clever with the original dynamics processor...

Although what the point is, I'm not sure. Anything that bad needs re-recording, IMHO. Or perhaps it's a psychological processor that's required?
            • 3. Re: Multi-band compressor in the FFT style...
              RonNovy Level 2
              >Anyway, you can do what the OP wants now if you are a bit clever with the original dynamics processor...

Yeah, but what I wanted was the easier GUI. I don't like the tedious task of setting up all those compressors...

Sometimes I get tracks over the net from people who recorded themselves with crappy mics or just horrible equipment and I'm not going to do all the work and play there instrument for them too. Sometimes its just a bit of equalization that's needed, but other times it's just easier to run it through a multi-band compressor...

Imagine someone playing guitar with the treble turned way up, the mids turned low and the low at mid... Then add in an over distorted guitar, a crappy mic and put the amp at a low level... The multi-band compressor won't cure it, but it will make it sound 'amazing' to the one who made the recording. Here's a quote, "Wow, that sounds awesome. Can we just put that on CD?" -anonymous dude... lol

It may not be a necessity for professional musicians and engineers, but it would make my life easier from time to time... Sometimes all you need is a psychological processor...
              • 4. Re: Multi-band compressor in the FFT style...
                SteveG(AudioMasters) Level 6
                >Sometimes all you need is a psychological processor...

Anyone who's been around for a long time will chuckle, and remind you about the 'Producer's Mixer'.

There's an old reference to this here.