7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2009 5:08 AM by ryclark

Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file

Keith Wickham
      In cool edit, I could play a file AND edit it at the same time. In Audition I have to stop playing the file in order to remove any sections I need to. I'm constantly working on long files that require a lot of cutting in this way, and I need to hear them as I'm doing it. Why this was removed during the transition from Cool Edit I can't imagine. Please put it back!
        • 1. Re: Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file
          Amen, I too am in dire need of this functionality. Having to stop, delete, play, stop, delete, play take far too much time! Is there anything in the settings to turn such functionality back on?
          • 2. Re: Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file
            Keith Wickham Level 1
            No! I spoke to Adobe, and it doesn't exist. I keep Cool Edit on my machine simply for this function. What a pain

Keith
            • 3. Re: Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file
              Level 1
              Any chance they mentioned bringing this function back in a future version? I've adapted somewhat by just getting quick with "spacebar-delete-spacebar", but it is just a ridiculous work around.

Not to mention the fact that you can't close a file while it is playing. What's the point of having to take the extra step of stopping playback before closing it, -obviously- I want it to stop playing, I am trying to close it!
              • 4. Re: Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file
                Keith Wickham Level 1
                They suggested I post a thread on the forum so the engineers could see it, presumably to put back something that was there in the first place. There was nothing basically wrong with Cool Edit, and many of the improvements that Adobe have made are fantastic, but this little feature which I'm sure that others will use, should have stayed. Let's start a mini campaign.
                • 5. Re: Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file
                  ryclark Level 6
                  It will probably be that Audition now uses ASIO drivers for communication with the soundcard for lower latency amongst other benefits. However in simplistic terms, this bypasses the Windows operating system and MME/WDM soundcard drivers used therein which is what stops AA doing some of the things CEP used to be able to do.
                  • 6. Re: Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file
                    smellingcoffee

Let me somewhat echo your request.  I have less of an issue with "deleting & cutting" while the file is playing. BUT, I would like the ability to at least adjust the selection area while playing. I make dozens of edits every day, so it's essential to search for the edit point I want as I'm listening. I usually set the tail (right edge) and then hunt for the head (left edge) I wish to cut.

With Adobe 3, in order to play a selected area, you have to release the mouse button before you can play and check to hear the edit point you are considering. If you need to adjust the edit point, you then have to reselect the entire area... which can add significant time.  In previous versions, you could play while selecting, allowing you to move the left edit point to multiple locations until you found the right edit point. Then you could delete that selection.

That one small function change made Audition 3 un-usable in my day to day radio program and spot production.  As much as I like some of the enhanced features in 3.0, I have to use 2.0 or earlier to have this priority function. And you are correct... in eariler versions you could also cut the file as t was still playing.  Not as crucial for me.

I am hoping this "selection adjustment during play" function is an option that will be made available much sooner than later. If any of the engineers would like more clarity on this, please contact me.

• 7. Re: Deleting and cutting files in edit view whilst playing the file
                      ryclark Level 6

If you hold the Shift or Alt key when reclicking with the mouse whilst playing you can pick up and move the selection start or end without loosing it.

So Select area to play. Release mouse button. Hit Space bar to play. Hold Shift key and move the beginning or end of your selection with the Left mouse button without loosing it.