3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2009 5:43 AM by Richard FDisk

I like the separate save dialogs, however ...

Richard FDisk
      ... here's what's needed;

I always work in EV & create my .wav file with CD tracks marked out & save it with the "save extra non audio information" check box checked so they are there next time I need to open it.

At the end of the editing just before I save the file the last time, I create the .mp3 files with "save copy as" and the "save extra non audio information" check box un-checked. The reason why I turn off the "save extra non audio information" is because some mp3 players interpret the track markers / cues whatever as sound, and a loud pop or glitch sound occurs when passing over the marker.

However, if I don't go back into one of the dialogs and reselect the check box just before the last save, all the track markers are lost

or if I create the .mp3 files last, then the next time I go to save a file it wants to save it as .mp3 rather than .wav which becomes a pain to reset it for every save, save as, dialog

I don't know which is worse really, losing all the track markers or distributing files that might pop in some mp3 players or losing a 44,100 16 bit stereo CD ready file to a 48Kbps 22,050 16-bit mono file that sounds like crap when played

separating the dialogs one step further than they already are
      ie "save as" "save copy as" & "save"
      if "save as" could have the "save extra non audio information" check box checked
      and "save copy as" could have the "save extra non audio information" check box un-checked without affecting the other

the next time I save using the original format it should either ask to if I want to recheck the box or leave it checked by default and only the "save copy as" remains unchecked until I recheck it

I hope it's clear enough

I'm still using V2.0 & waiting on the V3.0 Upgrade
      I apologize if this is already changed in V3.0

THX
        • 1. Re: I like the separate save dialogs, however ...
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Level 6
          >The reason why I turn off the "save extra non audio information" is because some mp3 players interpret the track markers / cues whatever as sound, and a loud pop or glitch sound occurs when passing over the marker.

Somehow, I don't believe this. Not only has it never happened to me, but also, there's a good reason for that. Cue data is appended to the end of a wav file when it's saved, so if you make an MP3 from this, the only crunch you could ever get would be one at the end - not at points throughout the file at all. Okay, you don't particularly want one at the end either, but I have to say that I haven't had any of those anyway - as long as I've used Audition to make the MP3.

Personally, I don't want the system as it is played around with, and I suspect that many others won't, either. The only real restrictions on it are those forced by M$'s OS in terms of file handling, and even they aren't so bad when you get used to it.
          • 2. Re: I like the separate save dialogs, however ...
            ryclark Level 6
            In Audition 3 (I can't remember if it was also in AA 2) you can set the Default Save As format to .wav in Preferences/System.
            • 3. Re: I like the separate save dialogs, however ...
              Richard FDisk Level 1
              I just looked in AA2 Preferences and I didn't see any "Default Save As Format" under any of the tabs

one more thing to add to the save dialogs to be separated in function is the "Save Selection" I rarely ever need the "Save Extra Non Audio Information" in that Save dialog
              but if I turn it off in there and forget to turn it back on before saving the file again all of the track markers disappear from the file which kinda sucks when I've spent close to ½ and hour aligning them to exact locations throughout the file.

here's one way to get pops in every after every track

take a single file with say 10 or so tracks in it
              save all the tracks out with "Save Selection" and the "Save Extra Non Audio Information" box checked
              play all those files in succession in an mp3 player that pops on non audio, they pop every time

I had a Sony phone that using the hands free set played .mp3 files and I loaded it with tunes
              which I promptly had to replace with files that were created with no "extra non audio info" because I got tired of the popping