2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2008 10:41 AM by Elenora

Drop-Down Menu Help

Elenora
      I have Dreamweaver CS3, which I've been trying to teach myself...I am extremely new at this. I have created a navigation bar which contains seven flash buttons for navigating to pages. So far, so good! But for one of the buttons, I need to be able to have a drop-down menu appear when that button is clicked - this is where my problem arises. Being so new at this, I know there must be a fairly easy way to handle this, but I'm not figuring it out. I tried using a Spry menu bar, but that completely eliminated my flash button...that didn't work. I thought perhaps I could use a vertical navigation snippet, but I'm unable to figure out how to incorporate it with the flash button. Can anyone give me some tips on what to do or try?
        • 1. Re: Drop-Down Menu Help
          Level 7
          > So far, so good!

Not so fast. If you want to use Flash for navigation, consider this -

1. Some people don't have Flash installed - what do they do?
          2. Search engines may not parse Flash links - your site will not be
          spidered
          3. Screen assistive devices don't parse Flash links - what will those users
          do?
          4. DW cannot maintain links within a Flash movie, so if you move or rename
          a linked file, your navigation will break - what will you do? You will have
          to remake those buttons.

It's usually a very bad idea for these reasons - and for these reasons,
          Adobe has removed Flash buttons and Flash text from the next version of
          Dreamweaver.

I recommend you discard this whole approach and check out the menu systems
          offered by http://www.projectseven.com/. I am not affiliated with them
          other than by being a VERY satisfied user. PopMenuMagic appears on most of
          the sites I build. Their products and support are legendary.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Elenora" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gedq9n$2d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have Dreamweaver CS3, which I've been trying to teach myself...I am
          >extremely
          > new at this. I have created a navigation bar which contains seven flash
          > buttons for navigating to pages. So far, so good! But for one of the
          > buttons,
          > I need to be able to have a drop-down menu appear when that button is
          > clicked -
          > this is where my problem arises. Being so new at this, I know there must
          > be a
          > fairly easy way to handle this, but I'm not figuring it out. I tried
          > using a
          > Spry menu bar, but that completely eliminated my flash button...that
          > didn't
          > work. I thought perhaps I could use a vertical navigation snippet, but
          > I'm
          > unable to figure out how to incorporate it with the flash button. Can
          > anyone
          > give me some tips on what to do or try?
          >

• 2. Re: Drop-Down Menu Help
            Elenora Level 1
            Thanks for the reply! After reading over your information and pondering on it a bit, I see the merit in what you're saying, although I'm dismayed I've spent so much time already doing what I've done. Chalk it down to a learning experience...I definitely will use flash in only a minor fashion (and not as navigation) on the next site I work on. I intend to check out the website you sited - considering the time I've already spent on this, and that I'm so very new at this, it will probably be worth the $90 for the ease and convenience they provide. Thank you very much for your help in this matter.