2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 4:37 AM by Ardy15jan

Running Adobe AIR applications without having Adobe AIR installed

Ardy15jan
      Is running Adobe AIR applications without having Adobe AIR installed possible?
      Why wouldn`t it be?
      And if not, when will it be possible?
      Thank you.
        • 1. Running Adobe AIR applications without having Adobe AIR installed
          abeall Level 3
          There's no technical way this could be possible. It's like a .swf playing without the Flash Player installed, or a Java applet without the Java Virtual Machine. Or even like a Windows application running without Windows. :)

There are, however, 3rd party wrappers out there to turn AIR apps into native OS apps (basically it wraps the AIR Runtime inside a native OS executable, like .exe). One that I can name off the top of my head is the Shu wrapper. This is like the old school Flash projectors, like Zinc and mProjector. The user doesn't have to install anything to run native executables.

I would be surprised if Adobe has any plans to make an executable wrapper for AIR, but I don't know anything. I would like to see .air files be able to run in the AIR Runtime without having to actually install the .air package, though.
          • 2. Re: Running Adobe AIR applications without having Adobe AIR installed
            Ardy15jan Level 1
            Thank you for your answer.
            Yes, I was actually refering to a way of compiling an .exe file from the .air file :P
            What I found out today from a friend is something about a product named Janus ... something... And it`s supposed to do the same thing as AIR does, with the same classes AIR uses, only it can export an .exe file...
            Anything you guys know about that?

PS: I`ll look the Shu wrapper up, thanks for the tip ;)