1 2 Previous Next 73 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 7:25 PM by MadManChan2000

CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF

Level 1
      So, please correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand correctly, those of us that paid good money for CS2 will have to upgrade to CS3 to get support for Nikon D300 camera raw. If true, stuff it and I will switch to NX. Maybe we don't pay enough for PS to expect that support? No wonder people steel Adobe products, there's no respect for honest paying customers.
        • 1. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
          Level 1
          You can always use the dng converter. my experience with nikon capture was horrendous.
          • 2. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            Sigh Another user expecting Adobe to support a Photoshop version that became obsolete before his camera even existed!

I'd bet he didn't bother researching the issue before buying his camera. Oy!

ACR in CS3 is so far superior to CS2 that it makes upgrading a no brainer.
            • 3. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
              Level 1
              Ramon,

Maybe it's the length of time or lack there of that the product was supported? Maybe it's the high cost of upgrading? Maybe we shouldn't have to buy cameras based on researching PS? Or, maybe I'm not as perceptive as you nor possess your superior intellect... Sigh
              • 4. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                Bill_Janes Level 2
                >So, please correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand correctly, those of us that paid good money for CS2 will have to upgrade to CS3 to get support for Nikon D300 camera raw. If true, stuff it and I will switch to NX.

Have you used NX? It has some nice features, but after using it for a while in a high volume setting, you may have second thoughts and might make the upgrade to CS3.
                • 5. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  Bruce,

If you are satisfied with ACR in Photoshop CS2 and don't want to upgrade, Adobe has provided the DNG converter that will enable you to convert raw images to the DNG format. Those digital negative files can be opened with any version of ACR clear back to 2.4. The image data is still the raw data. But the file format is changed and "standardized." You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter. It is not related to any version of Photoshop in any way.

It would be nice if the ACR plug-in was not specific to the version of Photoshop, but unfortunately that is always going to be an issue that we face. The DNG converter is free and allows you to continue using the older version of Photoshop. But, as has already been mentioned, ACR in the new version of Photoshop is clearly superior and gives you much greater control. It makes going back to CS2 feel like a giant leap backwards in time.
                  • 6. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                    Level 1
                    Jim,

Thanks for that Info.

Bruce
                    • 7. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                      michael shaffer Level 1
                      > Maybe it's the high cost of upgrading?

Less than $200 relative to the cost of a D300 doesn't seem like much(?) Will you also expect your a free D400 from Nikon?

my CA$0.02 :)
                      • 8. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                        Level 1
                        <Less than $200 relative to the cost of a D300 doesn't seem like much(?) <Will you also expect your a free D400 from Nikon?<br /><br />Michael,<br />You think that's a valid comparison? Ok, in that case I'll point out that Nikon will continue to support the D200 after the D300 is released. And no, I don't expect a free D400, I expect support for what I purchased.
                        • 9. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                          Level 1
                          > I expect support for what I purchased

And, it's been Adobe's policy to support the current shipping versions of Photoshop and provide free updates. Camera Raw 4 for Photoshop CS3 has already been updated 3 times since its release in May. Since Camera Raw 2 shipped in the Fall of 03 (Camera Raw 1 shipped in Feb 03 as a stand alone product), Adobe's policy has been very clear, they will continue shipping camera compatibility and bug fix upgrades for the duration that the version is supported. Support for non-current versions (any kind of support) ends when a new version ships.

The method that Adobe has chosen for backwards compatibility is to release free updates to DNG Converter that will allow versions even as old as Camera Raw 2.4 to be able to access images shot with cameras not yet released. So, if you choose not to upgrade to CS3 (foolish in my opinion because of the major advances) you'll still be able to convert D300 images to DNG and have access to your images in Camera Raw 3.7. (note, there were 7 free updates to Camera Raw 3 over about a 24 month period)

While you might legitimately complain that Adobe has not done a real good job of communicating their policies, they've not made their Camera Raw upgrade policy a secret.

And, no amount of chatter from new camera buyers is likely to make an impact on their upgrade policy.

Anybody doing this for a living would do well to know what the upgrade and support policies of their software is and smart buyers would do well to buy their upgrades EARLY in the new release cycles as opposed to late so that they could maximize the return on their investment. Let's see, $199 (the base upgrade price) of Photoshop CS3 spread out over 18 months (the average cycles between upgrades) works out to about $11/month or about $.37/day. I would say that's a pretty darn cheap cost of doing business.

And, if Photoshop is too much for your liking, Photoshop Elements also supports Camera Raw 4 in Mac Elements 4.01 and Elements 5 & 6 for Windows. I think Elements sells for $99 (or less) although the functionality of Camera Raw in Elements is limited.
                          • 10. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                            Level 1
                            I apologize for sidetracking this thread,but anyone have any ideas why a few test files shot on a d300 will not convert in the dng converter. i see the previews fine,but i get the error parsing the file message.
                            • 12. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                              Donald,

Have you tried using the PREVIOUS version of the DNG Converter, 4.2?
                              • 13. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                Level 1
                                There is a known issue with "certain" Nikons raw files that are shot in compressed mode not processing correctly in Camera Raw 4.3 and Lightroom 1.3. The issue is only on compressed mode. The work around would be to not use compressed mode or use the DNG 4.2 for converting the NEFs to DNG then process in CR 4.3 or LR 1.3. This will be addressed in an upcoming update. I don't know for a fact that D300 compressed raws also have this problem or is the files you are trying to work on are compressed...but you can download DNG Converter 4.2 and try that work around.
                                • 14. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                  Level 1
                                  I just checked and i am using the 3.3 dng converter. is there something more functional in the newer converter? i guess i assumed my version would convert any nef as it always has so far. should i update it?
                                  • 15. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                    Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                    Donald:

You MUST use the 4.3 DNG converter to convert Nikon D300 files. There is no existing software that can read "any NEF". Even Nikon's software needs to be updated every time they introduce a new camera.
                                    • 16. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                      Level 1
                                      Thomas, many thanks. not sure were i got that idea from. i guess i assumed all nefs were equal.
                                      • 17. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                        Level 1
                                        I think i am confused again. i downloaded camera raw 4.3 and i can now open the d300 files,but i still have the 3.3 dng converter, although i thought the download page listed them together in one download. i cant seem to find the latest dng version.
                                        • 18. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                          http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=3824&fileID=3575
                                          • 19. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                            Level 1
                                            Thanks Jim. not sure why i could not find it.
                                            • 20. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                              A baby keeping you awake at night will do that to you. Well worth it, though. :)
                                              • 21. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                Level 1
                                                Actually my wife has not made me stay up one time during the night. saturdays are my day alone with her, so i get a little stressed trying to keep the crying sessions to a minimum. It is a joy for sure,even if i am not always sure what to try.
                                                • 22. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                  >if i am not always sure what to try

Singing worked for me with my three kids and my grandson. :D
                                                  • 23. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                    Level 1
                                                    I will add that to my arsenal of tricks.
                                                    • 24. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                      Level 1
                                                      This thread has been helpful, I have not upgraded to CS3 to avoid the all too typical upgrade hassles, now my D300 has arrived and I need to decide between the upgrade to CS3 and the free DNG converter, Would anyone care to give me a quick sales pitch on what's so great about CS3 vs CS2. Thanks in advance.
                                                      • 25. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                        The last time I checked there were comparisons between the two versions on the Adobe website. Check there. The biggest change and improvement is in Camera Raw. Especially after you update from the ACR 4.0 that is installed initially. There are many more controls that enable you to do a lot more work in Camera Raw than you have ever been able to do before. I feel that the improvements in ACR alone are worth the upgrade.
                                                        • 26. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Thanks Jim, It sounds like CS3 is a no-brainer, I'm always reluctant to change from something that already works well for me to the latest and greatest, but now with the D300 I'll make the move.
                                                          • 27. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Not to complicate the issue (well, maybe), but you get NX free with the D300 and I've always been frustrated trying to get Camera Raw colors to match my D70 & D200. What I do now when shooting NEF is go through NX and transfer into PS from NX. Then again, I'm no expert with Camera Raw.
                                                            • 28. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                              Level 1
                                                              Ben, i stayed with cs till cs3 was out and after hearing about the great improvements,i made the step up, which is great for working on raw shots. i hated nikons software,which was slow as molasses on my mac.
                                                              • 29. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Bruce and Donald, I have ordered CS3 so that's that but I will check out NX, though I have found the older Nikon software to be slow and not very intuitive. I also think it is much better to stay with one program set like the Bridge/Photoshop combo for all digital image work.

By the way, does anyone know why the single auto button on the newer camera raw plugins is thought to be an improvement over the individual auto buttons for exposure contrast etc.?????? Is there any way to make just some of the controls auto?

Thanks for all the responses, Ben
                                                                • 30. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  >By the way, does anyone know why the single auto button on the newer camera raw plugins is thought to be an improvement over the individual auto buttons for exposure contrast etc.?????? Is there any way to make just some of the controls auto?

This was done in Camera Raw 3.7 for compatibility with Lightroom (they share the same rendering capability). Also note that the 4.x new algorithms ARE actually better since they are not limited to the Exposure/Shadows/Brightness/Contrast of 3.x but also kick in Recovery and Fill Light as well. And no, no going back, sorry. But the Auto may improve in the future...
                                                                  • 31. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Thanks Jeff, I look forward to working with CS3 and seeing how the new 4.x controls work. By the way, I am concerned how my NEF images already processed with CS2 & Camera Raw 3.4 will be treated when I open them with CS3 and the latest Camera Raw plug-in. Will the side car files be compatible, automatically updated, or replaced with new ones? How does CS3 work with my older Camera Raw Defaults? I'm sure I'll be fine with new images first opened and processed with CS3 but I wonder if I will have to have a new look and check all my existing NEF files that were processed with the old software? Should I continue to use CS2 with the older files? Thanks, you seem to be very knowledgeable and I appreciate your input, do you work for Adobe? Regards, Ben
                                                                    • 32. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      > I am concerned how my NEF images already processed with CS2 & Camera Raw 3.4 will be treated when I open them with CS3 and the latest Camera Raw plug-in.

The old settings should be converted to the new sets of controls pretty much intact. Course, now that there's far MORE control, you may need to revise some of your image because the new controls offer far more capability!

> Thanks, you seem to be very knowledgeable and I appreciate your input, do you work for Adobe?

I don't work "for" Adobe, but I do with with the Camera Raw team at times. But I also coauthored Real World Camera Raw for Photoshop CS3 with the late Bruce Fraser...so, yeah, I do know a bit about Camera Raw...

:~)
                                                                      • 33. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        Thanks Jeff, I'll put the book on my Christmas list. Cheers, Ben
                                                                        • 34. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                          I cannot get the converter to work. It says that there is a problem parsing the files. I am trying to view RAW in CS2 from my Nikon D-300. Any help??
                                                                          • 35. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                            Sharon,

Have you read the whole thread? Here's the scoop:

Your camera did not exist when CS2 ceased to be supported by Adobe, so you will never be able to open your Nikon D-300 files directly in CS2.

You need to download the DNG Converter 4.3 previous versions do not support your new camera and convert your files to DNG raw files first.

However, in CS2, you MUST run ACR (Adobe Camera Raw plug-in) 3.7, which does NOT support your camera directly but will convert the DNG raw files that you can get from your Nikon raw files through the separate, stand-alone DNG Converter 4.3 which doesn't any version of Photoshop to run. It runs as an application by itself. Place it anywhere you like, as on your desktop if you wish.

Again, download ACR 3.7 to install in CS2 according to the detailed instructions on the download page but DISCARD the DNG Converter that may come with that download.

Then, download the free, stand-alone Adobe DNG CONVERTER 4.3 but DISCARD the ACR 4.3 that may come with that download.

Alternatively, upgrade to CS3, upgrade its ACR to ACR 4.3 and open your files directly, without needing the DNG Converter at all.

Your other choice is to use Nikon software.
                                                                            • 36. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                              .a word of warning to those who plan on keeping CS2 and using the free Adobe converter with a Nikon D300.

The Adobe NEF to DNG converter (V4.3.1.31) really does not do a good job of retaining the colors that you would see using Nikon software (or the colors that you would see on the Camera LCD).

I am guessing that the problem is the Adobe software completely ignores the Picture Controls. And so if you use this feature (I use it for almost every picture I take) you will be disappointed in how your DNG files will look in CS2. My DNG images look like NEFs but with the Picture Control turned off (or reset to neutral).

This may also be the case for CS3.

The only way I have found to use NEF files with CS2 (and retain the colors and other enhancements that I have added through the Picture Control settings that I have used) is to use the Nikon software to convert the NEF file to a TIF and then read the TIFF into CS2. Again I suspect that would also be the case with CS3.
                                                                              • 37. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                                                That is probably one of the most pointless warnings I have seen posted. Adobe Camera Raw is supposed to ignore the camera settings. Your Nikon software processes your images according to how Nikon thinks they should look. ACR, on the other hand, is designed to allow you, the photographer, to calibrate your own camera and set your own defaults that are tuned to your style of shooting and to your specific camera. If you haven't learned that simple lesson, then you have some reading to do.
                                                                                • 38. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                                  michael shaffer Level 1
                                                                                  > If you haven't learned that simple lesson, then you have some reading to do.

I agree ... and Mr. Holmes also ignores the fact the same would be true for any other 3rd-party raw developer, and FTM, any other camera. Only ACR provides the means to calibrate all cameras you may own and independently (and according to ISO).

cheerios :)
                                                                                  • 39. Re: CS2 and Nikon D300 NEF
                                                                                    Level 1
                                                                                    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 02:49:03 -0800, michael_shaffer@adobeforums.com
                                                                                    wrote:

>I agree ...

What exactly makes his warning - probably quite helpful to many as a
                                                                                    reminder - such a crime to deserve the derision?

--
                                                                                    Dierk
                                                                                    [DH² Publishing]
                                                                                    www.DH2Publishing.info
                                                                                    Writing and Imaging
                                                                                    1 2 Previous Next