32 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2008 2:10 AM by (Gerry_Coe)

Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3

After purchasing the Nikon D300 I had to upgrade from CS2 to CS3 as former versions of photoshop are unable to manage the RAW files (NEF) generated by the new camera.

My problem is that, even having downloaded the 4.3.1 version of Camera Raw and having installed it, there is no dialogue with bridge. I tried to reinstall CS3 as well.

This means:

- I miss the Camera Raw preferences setting (under the edit menu in bridge)

- Always in Bridge I cannot cut and paste (copy and apply) camera raw settings of one photo to others. Neither selecting the edit menu, nor with the mouse's right button.

The point is not that these and similar selections do not work, the point is that they do not even appear in the menus. The help resources, for instance, tell about a Edit > Develop Settings function that is not present in my menu.

What is wrong? Is it possible that there is any kind of conflict with Nikon capture NX?

I'll be grateful to anyone able to help me,
      fm
        • 1. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
          Level 1
          >What is wrong?

The odds are REAL HIGH that you DON'T have the 4.3.1 update correctly installed. Since you don't say where it located or even mention your OS, there's not much else we can do to help. Other than to say, double check the installation...
          • 2. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
            Level 1
            before getting access to the forum I filled a form where I told about my OS. Sorry.

I have a PC with Windows XP. I downloaded and put the Camera Raw 4.3.1 in the folder told in Adobe's instructions: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Thanks for helping.
            • 3. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
              Level 1
              If, and it's a big if because so many people CLAIM they've properly installed Camera Raw only to find out they didn't unzip the download or they added the new plug-in without removing the old plug-in, you STILL can't see the Camera Raw preferences or settings menu then the odds are real good you need to reset the Bridge preferences. Close and restart Bridge while holding down the Control/Alt/Shift keys and choose Reset Bridge preferences when the dialog pops up. After that, choose Purge Cache when pointed to a folder of your D300 raws.
              • 4. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                Level 1
                Of course I unzipped and removed the old file. Thanks for the advice. I'll try.
                • 5. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                  Level 1
                  Jeff, I tried but did nopt get any result. Consider that my only problem is that I do not have Camera Raw preferences in Bridge and that I cannot cut and paste (copy and apply) camera raw settings of one photo to others. But Camera RAw in itself works properly with all my raw files, included those generated by the Nikopn d300.

Thanks for any further help.
                  • 6. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                    Level 1
                    Did you successfully reset the prefs and then purge the cache for that folder? That has always worked for me...

BTW, the story about the unzipping of the Camera Raw download was a real case where several people here on the forum (including Thomas Knoll) was trying to troubleshoot a person's problem. They steadfastly stated they had downloaded and properly installed the CR plug-in to the correct location and was rather impatient with the fact that Camera Raw refused to work. Seems the person didn't realize the download file was a zip compressed file that needed decompression. DOH...
                    • 7. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                      Level 1
                      thanks Jeff. Seemingly my problem does not have a solution. But is there and CS3 works differently than stated even in its own instructions. Here and there (even in this forum) I found others with the same problem, but nowhere I found a solution. Whom can I ask?
                      • 8. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                        Omke Oudeman Level 5
                        Try this one, close Bridge and PSCS, go to the user library preference folder and manually remove both the com.adobe.bridge2.plist and com.adobe.Photoshop.plist to the trash.

restart the applications and reset the preferences to the desired setting. Also use disk utility to check and repair permissions.

And as Jeff said, check again if you have the correct file type (Camera Raw.plugin) and only one plug in installed :-)
                        • 9. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                          Level 1
                          omke, I'm sorry, but I could not find the files you mentioned. Even not with my search function. I have wondows xp.
                          • 10. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                            Omke Oudeman Level 5
                            I'm also sorry effememi,

I keep forget that this is a cross platform forum and I'm on a Mac. Can't help you with this one.

If you followed Jeff's advise and checked all three options when asked at restart Bridge and purged the cache for that folder the only thing I can think off is that you remove the Nikon software, which as I recall has caused some trouble before.
                            • 11. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                              Level 1
                              I did it. I removed Nikon Capture NX, I followed all of Jeff's advices...I'm hopeless, even because CS2 goes on working wonderfully, but does not support the nef files of the D300... Thanks anyway.
                              • 12. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                You can always use the latest version of the DNG converter to create Digital negative files from your NEF files, and you can open those with CS2/ACR 3.7.
                                • 13. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                  Level 1
                                  Jim,

I also thought of doing that, but I wonder why di I upgrade to CS3? To ovecome that bad feeling of having wasted my money, I'll keep looking for solutions. I saw that more than one user has the problem, even in this forum there is a thread on that (without solutions). In the end it's a computer program, not a love affair. So it should operate in a somehow logical way...

One question to you: don't I loose quality at all when converting from NEF (Nikon's raw) to DNG?
                                  • 14. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                    I had the same problem and found the answer on a different board. You are going to have to *slightly* change your workflow... Photoshop CS3 now has a sidebar! If you select more than one .nef file and then double click (or right-click, open) then *all* of the chosen photos will open in the Camera Raw window in Photoshop. You can then do your corrections on the first one, select all of the photos in the sidebar and click "synchronize". Voila! Your camera raw settings are transferred to multiple files at once!

Another CS3 Mystery Solved!
                                    Rob Fahie
                                    • 15. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                      Level 1
                                      Rob,

many, many thanks. You gave me a different way to get to the solution and go beyond the problem.

But this does not change the fact that, in my installation at least and seemingly also in other's, CS3 works differently than told in its own instructions.

francesco
                                      • 16. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                        Francesco,

I don't understand why you would consider it a waste of money just because you are using the DNG converter. The image data is exactly the same data. You can use all of the new controls that are available in ACR 4.3.1.

My suspicions are that Nikon has embedded something in the raw files from the D300 that was overlooked when the ACR profile was created. Although I know nothing about the development of ACR, I think it is safe to say that the developers at Adobe will find a solution to the problem if it is a documented problem that they can replicate. And since this is a problem that others have reported, there is a good chance that they are looking at it. In the meantime, use the DNG converter. Based on past experience, there should be another ACR update within the next few weeks.
                                        • 17. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                          Level 1
                                          thanks Jeff. I do not have anything against DNG. This allows me to use the CS2 version of photoshop and have access to my Camera raw preferences. It's only that I bought CS3 being willing to take advantage of its features. And, beyond this, there is this strange fact that I installed my copy of CS3 on my girlfiend's computer (also operating with windows XP) and...it works perfectly!
                                          • 18. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                            I have exactly the same problem: Camera Raw preferences is completely absent from the installation of CS3 on my desktop computer. This happened on my laptop not too long ago, and re-installing CS3 brought it back. I tried the same thing on my desktop--five times in a row--and it still has not been resurrected.

I, too, have tried re-setting preferences and purging the cache with the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT trick. Probably 50 times.

It's frustrating because Camera RAW cannot be invoked from Bridge anymore, and the preferences dialog is the only place I know of to tell Camera RAW ALWAYS to update DNG files' embedded JPEG previews (that's important for me because I use Expression Media--the iView Media Pro reincarnation).

I can manually tell Camera RAW to update the DNG files' previews, but that gets old quickly when I open more than one file at a time!

Is there a way to copy my Camera RAW preferences from my laptop and carry them over to my desktop? Are the Camera RAW preferences stored in a specific file, or is this wishful thinking?
                                            • 19. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                              Omke Oudeman Level 5
                                              I can't tell from your post what system you are using but if it is a Mac then go to the user library preference folder.

in here there is a file called: Adobe Camera Raw 4.1 prefs (don't get fooled by the 4.1 it is also for the current 4.3.1 version of ACR)

And maybe you can also try to manually trash the com.adobe.bridge2.plist file in this folder and restart Bridge. This often solves problems
                                              • 20. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                Level 1
                                                Happy to know that I'm not the only one with problem.

I run windows xp, and tried every possible way kindly told me on various italian and international forums. There was no way to overcome that problem.

I'm still refusing to do the only thing left: format the machine and reinstall everything from scratch. It still seems too harsh to me.
                                                • 21. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Omke,
                                                  Yes, sorry, I'm using Windows Vista (32bit) on my desktop and Windows XP (32bit) on my laptop. I did see your posting earlier in the thread regarding the com.adobe.bridge2.plist, but thanks any ways!

However, like effemmemi, I refuse to reformat just go to regain the Camera RAW preferences dialog box.

I'm sorry I didn't see the replies earlier--I thought I was set to receive an e-mail when "new activity" happened, but apparently I didn't!
                                                  • 22. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Well, I did reformat (actually installed a clean WinXPSP2 image) and installed Photoshop & Bridge. This did not solve the problem. (I mentioned this on a Feb 1 post. Sorry for cross-posting.)

So, there is some issue with Bridge and Camera Raw. It used to work under CS2. But now under Edit->Preferences->General the Behavior tab no longer displays the Raw options. Nor do they appear in the context menus. Everything is fine in Photoshop.

I am guessing that there is a Bridge preference somewhere that can be edited to point to the Camera Raw.8bi plugin. But I don't know where it is.

Any ideas?
                                                    • 23. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                      i have a same problem. any solution yet?
                                                      • 24. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                        I have the same problem. Any solution yet?
                                                        • 25. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                          what about this :

- Edit/Preferences/File Type Associations

- uncheck Hide Undefined File Associations

- choose RAW file type (CR2) and associate it with Bridge CS3.exe

- restart Bridge CS3
                                                          • 26. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                            Level 1
                                                            or...

reinstal Camera Raw plugin ( replace wiht the older version, than back to the latest 4.5 version) - this did the job with me!

- update your Bridge to 2.1. ( simply just by running Updater or manually from www.adobe.com)

- a final suggestion would be to reinstall whole CS3 software bundle and update your Camera Raw and Bridge CS3 (if the 4.0 has the same bug)

If it won`t fix the problem, you can always access the batch functions from within the Camera Raw (copying the image setting to a bunch of images, etc) or get back to Brudge CS2, which works pretty bugless as far as Camera Raw is concerned

hope you get it fixed
                                                            • 27. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                              All of a sudden (in Bridge CS3 on Win XP) I could not cntrl+R to open raw files taken by my camera and the 'open in camera raw option was grayed out.

I used bridge and rt+mouse "new Folder", placed all my transferred photos into the newly renamed folder and the option to "open in camera raw" was restored and Cntrl+R worked when I selected one or more files.

Hopefully this will work for others.

Spear
                                                              • 28. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Well, I have discovered that this error could be quite often fixed by just reinstalling whole CS3 (PC users, I dont know how it works on Mac) and its additional software. I mean WHOLE CS3, not just by running Uninstaller in XP or Vista since this feature still leaves some traces in Registry and in system folders.
                                                                so do it as it follows:

- uninstall Ps CS3 and its shared components
                                                                - go to: Program Files-Common Files-Adobe and erase everything what has been left of CS3
                                                                - do the same in the Adobe folder of Program files (leave there Acrobat Reader or any other Adobe application, but no CS3)
                                                                - go to Start - Run - type regedit and run Registry Editor and browse through HKEY_CURRENT_USER-SOFTWARE-ADOBE and erase both Bridge and Photoshop keys
                                                                - restart your machine and reinstall PS again
                                                                - check Bridge - Camera Raw in Bridge should be there!
                                                                I hope this works

if not..I guess there is no help, just waiting for a patch
                                                                • 29. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                                  I have tried all of the above (and more!) with the exception of reinstalling.

Can anyone who had the problem of "Open in Camera Raw" not even being available in Bridge confirm that reinstalling worked?

Many thanks.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                                    Hi All,
                                                                    Been reading this thread with interest.
                                                                    I am on PC with XP, I have been using CS3 for quite a while now and both my D200 and D300 have all been working perfectly. But over the last few months I have noticed that Bridge was (a) very slow to start and (b) would suddenly come up with the "Bridge has encountered a problem and must close" message. Then it got to the stage were Bridge would not open at all and just the "Problem" message would show and then next PS3 then starting displayed the "There has been a cataclysmic Failure" message.
                                                                    So I have used the original CS3 CD and uninstalled and reinstalled and got both programs working but no Camera Raw. If I click on the NEF file it goes to PS and gets the message wrong file type. All the preferences are set ok.
                                                                    The other thing that happened was when I downloaded all the updates, Bridge went back to not opening and the "problem" message showing again.
                                                                    After reading Xoslic message I will try to take out the registry entries and reinstall again and see if that works.
                                                                    For all of you on Nikon, CS3 was working perfectly for me until just recently, so I know that it does work fine.
                                                                    Hopefully I will get a soloution and let you know if it works.
                                                                    Gerry

PS. I also had a problem in that Lightroom 1.4 would not work either, opened ok but "lightroom has encountered a problem" message appeared and it closed down. Other people suggested that the problem lay in "Version Cue"
                                                                    • 31. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                                                      > I have used the original CS3 CD and uninstalled and reinstalled

Did you also remember to update the Camera Raw plug-in to ACR 4.6?

Have you tried the Adobe Bridge Windows forum?
                                                                      • 32. Re: Camera raw and bridge: no dialogue in cs3
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        Hi Ramon,
                                                                        Thanks for your reply.
                                                                        Last night I had another go at it and instead of doing a big update to both PS and Bridge I just updated to ACR4.6. I first removed the old 8bi file and then installed the new 4.6 and it started to work ok. Although for some reason one folder of Nef files will not open in Raw. All the others seem to be ok.
                                                                        Lightroom seems to be stable although it did have one error message and closed down but on opening up again it stayed open.
                                                                        The idea of holding down the ctrl key when starting bridge and clearing the cache made a difference to starting up although it is still a bit slow, and the thumbnails can take a while but still faster than they were originally. PS starts very fast now. I will add updates one at a time.
                                                                        If I hit any problems I will post another message.
                                                                        I have been on the other forum and will check it out again.
                                                                        Thanks
                                                                        Gerry