18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 7:35 PM by (Tim_G_Andersen)

Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge

Level 1
      I recently took a course on CS3 and one of the options available in the version used when clicking on a thumbnail in Adobe Bridge was to be able to open the file directly with Camera RAW, i.e. ACR opens directly without loading Photoshop. In my version I have at home, this option is not available, it only gives me the option to open through Photoshop which then launches ACR to open the RAW file. What do I need to do to have that option available to directly launch to ACR from Bridge? Do I need to make a change in my Bridge or ACR settings/preferences? Do I need an upgrade?
        • 1. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
          Level 1
          Command (Mac) Control (Win) /R should open Camera Raw hosted by Bridge...Command (Control) /O opens hosted by Photoshop. Double click will by default, open hosted by Photoshop but you can change the Bridge preferences under General/Behavior.
          • 2. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
            Omke Oudeman Level 5
            If you use right mouse click (or cmd click) the submenu should give you the choice of open in Camera RAW that will open ACR in Bridge. In the Bridge preferences in the general setting you can put a checkmark on open ACR in Bridge using double click.

The current version of Bridge is 2.1.1.9 and ACR 4.3.1

However you will need PSCS to open the files and edit them. You can use the save function in ACR to save the RAW files in various manners but the original RAW file stays untouched. Only the settings you made in ACR will save as an xmp file.

Edit:
            sorry for the crosspost but Jeff is a faster typist then I am...
            • 3. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
              Level 1
              Thanks. The problem I'm having is that when I right click the submenu does not give me the option to open in Camera RAW - it is missing. The only option is to Open in Phohoshop. That's why I was wondering if there were settings or preferences that need to be changed. I can live with the double-click and opening in Photoshop but would prefer not to have Photoshop working in the background. I was aware of the Ctrl-R command but haven't tried it, hoping I could figure out how to get the option working in the submenu.
              • 4. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                ruusnak Level 1
                I have the same problem, Ctrl-R does nothing, and even when the "Prefer camera raw.. " settings are correctly set in the preferences, PSCS3 is always opened to display the ACR dialog. And the "Open" popup menu only has Photoshop as a choice.
                I've had this problem before (in my previous computer), then my solution was to reinstall everything. Now I don't want to do that, I have so much Adobe stuff installed.
                I wish someone came out with the solution, I'd much rather open use the bridge/ACR to do much of the initial inspection of a shoot
                • 5. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                  Level 1
                  First, I'm looking for the answer of the same issue, and came cross here.
                  What I've got:
                  It is really annoying to see people answering your question but they don't even know what you were asking, what you were talking about.
                  They should learn to understand your question first, then say something. Or they need to lean how to SHUT UP!
                  • 6. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                    The problem is that the answers that are given are the standard answers. But what they don't realize is that some people, like those of you who are expressing problems here, don't have those standard options and the standard shortcut keys don't work. Apparently this is a problem that the Adobe development team cannot replicate. I don't have an answer to your problem. I'm just trying to explain why the answers seem to be irrelevant.
                    • 7. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                      Level 1
                      Jim, thanks for your reply and, sorry about my previous reply, but I was really frustrated from the missing 'open with camera raw' option -- I've been beaten enough and Adobe seems have no 'official' answer for that. So hope you could imagine what I feel when I see those irrelevant replies.

IGNORANCE. That's what is was.
                      Because I think Mike has addressed his problem clearly, properly, unmistakably - if you read through his message.

I really need a drink to calm down now....
                      • 8. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                        Level 1
                        I've posted a solution at Bridge Windows forum:
                        http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05fc30/6

It worked for me, so I hope it will also work for you.
                        If it works, drink one for me.

If it does not, well, drink 2 for me.
                        • 9. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                          Omke Oudeman Level 5
                          Dark

Since you where in the Mac forum I assume you are on Mac. The solution you gave in the windows forum should not work because the ACR plug in is in the wrong location...

However a computer stays a computer with all its puzzles.

Normally spoken with the application folder on the root disk and not in the User account, the ACR plugin should only be once on your OS in the root folder - library - Application support - Adobe - plug ins - CS3 - fileformats: Camera Raw.plugin.

You should check in PSCS menu: Photoshop - about plugins - Camera Raw should give you a small window with the plugin logo and only one version number of ACR (current 4.3.1)

If you have the Bridge preferences set to open ACR in Bridge with double click. Both Jeff and me guided to the preferences but neither of the next posters answered if they had already done so....

You should also check if the startup script for Bridge is enabled in the preferences.

If this is your set up and it still is not working you could try to refresh preferences and or create a new user to see if it works with this new account.

All those answers has been written down numerous times in this forum btw :-)
                          • 10. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                            John Joslin Level 6
                            This mystery of the missing entries in the right click menu is hard to reproduce. I had it once and I'm not going to try and get it again.

It seems to be dependent on having the all the right selections in the preferences of Photoshop
                            b and
                            Bridge
                            b and
                            Camera Raw.

I have Windows XP, CS3, ACR 4.3.1
                            • 11. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                              Level 1
                              I am having this same issue. After using my photoshop for months, when I right clicked and used "Previous Conversion", it just disapeared. After numerous re-installs, I still have not found a solution. I used the Adobe WinCS3clean (many, many times - level 4) and reinstalled PS3 and still not the same as before. I worked for months like this:

open white balance photo, select w/b tool, get white bal, select done.
                              then right click on all other photos in bridge and right click, previous conversion.

This worked for months, now it has just disappeared.
                              • 12. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                                Omke Oudeman Level 5
                                Why don't you select the photos you want to edit in Bridge and open them together in ACR using the filmstrip mode. If you select them all the setting are simultaneously applied, if you edit one select the bunch after this and use the sync button top left :-)
                                • 13. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                                  Level 1
                                  This periodically happens to me with individual images -- I can no longer open them in CR, and the option is not available in the pull-down menu or elsewhere. I've found that if I copy and paste the image file, I can usually open the copy in CR. Mine is not a global problem; rather, only a few individual images in a folder will be affected. I am using XP, CS3, latest version of CR.
                                  • 14. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                                    Level 1
                                    >This periodically happens to me with individual images
                                    Try purging the cache for that folder and see if the option reappears. That
                                    works for me, anyway.
                                    --
                                    Charlie...
                                    http://www.chocphoto.com
                                    • 15. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                                      Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                                      >This periodically happens to me with individual images

Are these Nikon-scanned Tiffs by any chance?
                                      • 16. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                                        Level 1
                                        Mine are CR2 files from a 1Ds II.
                                        • 17. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                                          Level 1
                                          b Tools - Cache - Purge Cache For Folder

This has resolved the problem for me too.
                                          • 18. Re: Open With Camera RAW not available in Bridge
                                            Level 1
                                            I can reproduce the issue as follows:

I'm downloading images to a folder from my card reader and at the same time I have Bridge open and viewing the same folder as I'm downloading images to.

Any images that are downloaded while Bridge watches that folder will not generate thumbs, and instead produce little Camera RAW icons. However, any images that were already downloaded while not having that folder open in Bridge will generate thumbs properly. That's the key, watching the images in Bridge while they download. "Open With Camera RAW" option is not available, either.

Now, at this point I usually get frustrated and close Bridge and reopen it. This will generate the thumbs properly; however, the "Open With Camera RAW" option is still gone from the context menu.

So, all of this can be fixed by purging the cache for that particular folder. However, that's a frustrating method if that means Bridge has to re-generate, say 1500 pictures.

Oh, and here's a few additional details if they help:

- Canon 5D
                                            - Cheap "Inland" multi-card reader
                                            - "Automatically Export Caches to Folders When Possible" is check in Preferences.