26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 8:50 AM by Anita Dennis

In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw

Level 1
      I have CS3 installed on several computers. On one of them, apparently Bridge and/or Raw never updated to the ability to open a jpeg in Raw. I can do this on the other computers. When I suggest running updates, it says none are needed. I'm confused.
      Mike
        • 1. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          First of all make sure that you have set your Bridge preferences so that you prefer Camera Raw for JPEG and TIF files. If you have done that, close down Bridge and then restart Bridge while you hold the Ctrl key. When you are given the choice, choose to reset the preferences.
          • 2. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
            loquacious1 Level 1
            I've been having the same problem with it on my old XP system and thought it was specific to that machine until it happened on my new Vista one. Now I know it's the application but not why. I've set the preferences for Camera RAW to open .jpeg's in both Photoshop and Bridge and made sure the plugin file is located in both program's plugin folders, but it still won't work. Any other ideas out there? I'm fresh out of them... and open to any.

I'm also curious as to why Camrea RAW only handles either RAW or .jpeg files and not .tiff or others if anyone knows.
            • 3. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              Loquacious1,

Camera Raw does not go into the plug-ins folder, but to a specific folder that is specified on the download page. It sounds to me like you need to review the installation instructions. Additionally, you only want to have it installed ONCE. Otherwise, you are likely to encounter problems.

As to your question about Camera Raw handling TIF images, it DOES when it is installed and configured properly.
              • 4. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                What Jim says.

>the plugin file is located in both program's plugin folders

That's the wrong location, and you should have only ONE instance of the ACR plug-in installed, NEVER two or more.
                • 5. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                  loquacious1 Level 1
                  Okay, got the point (twice), but I did have it only installed in ONE location and it didn't work which is why I tried installing it in Bridge's plugin folder to see if it made a difference. It didn't, but on the other hand it didn't do harm either. At worst the file was ignored.

If there is something making the program not perform it's probably Vista, but nothing I did. I'm sure you both wanted to be of help and are correct. At this point I'm looking for answers even if they are unconventional by rudimentary software standards. So far I suppose Camera RAW has never been configured correctly because I've never seen it open a .tiff yet, only RAW or .jpeg's. I'm sure there is a reason... but not that I have figured out. :^/

I did find one bugger causing system problems in Vista at least, and that was Hace's Mmm+ context menu utility (originally from my XP machine). Doesn't play nice in Vista and was crashing Notepad, Firefox, and Razer's Tarantula keyboard driver - and keyboard thusly. Body count isn't all in yet, but there may be others it affected... Bridge included. Time will tell. Not easy trouble shooting this stuff.
                  • 6. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                    If you are able to open JPEG and raw images, that is an indication that Camera Raw is installed correctly. The only other thing I can think of that might be causing the problem is if you are not using ACR 4.5. There used to be a size limitation that would prevent me from being able to open some TIFF images. Thomas Knoll mentioned in another thread that that limitation no longer exists in ACR 4.5. Could this possibly apply in your situation?
                    • 7. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                      loquacious1 Level 1
                      Isn't that because 4.5 is installed. I'm what could be considered near paranoid about keeping this file current as the feature is so important to me for shooting nearly everything in RAW format. Actually I wondered if maybe I should drop back a version in case it works better in Bridge on this machine.

Will give it another try and see if it's working now(been catching up with tutorials and had no time before), but for a fact Bridge fails to open anything using Camera Raw. Had this feature working in XP, so it may be a Vista thing OR old XP software doing some of this and to be removed. Caught one, so there may be another. Vista does not scream "Danger Will Robinson" as it should when installing incompatible software titles.

As among first female geeks of the early 80's I'm fairly proficient, but Vista is a new misery thanks to Dell refusing to install XP on their newest machines. They claim to do this on their site, but try buying one to discover differently. I've an XP Pro license in case, but thought I'd give this OS a chance to redeem itself. May be the stupidest idea since upgrading DOS to Win95 *grin*
                      • 8. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                        It isn't Dell that's refusing to install Windows XP, Microsoft canceled everybody's right to distribute or sell XP about the end of June. Microsoft will not allow anyone, anywhere, to sell XP anymore.

The only thing I can suggest is that you ensure that you have ACR installed in the right folder, and that it isn't found anywhere else on your system. In Photoshop, if you do Help/About Plug-Ins and click on Camera Raw, it should be listed just once, and when you click on it it should report that you are using ACR 4.5. If you have a double listing of ACR, or if ACR isn't on the plug-in list, then you have problems that need to be resolved.
                        • 9. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                          loquacious1 Level 1
                          Jim,

That's what they say... but not according to this:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/sitelets/solutions/software/business/xp_smb ?~tab=2

As you see, they still have licenses, but are stingy with them.

As for the other... Whoo hoo!!! It's working again. :^) Case closed. Guess it was Hace software all along. I'm also able to open .tif files in Camera RAW, but only from Bridge, not Photoshop. Now to go fix the other things that aren't working quite right...

Thanks for your help Jim, you were nice to offer your insights.
                          • 10. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                            You probably already know about this, but just in case. In Photoshop, do a File/Open As, and then highlight the TIF image that you want to open. Then specify Camera Raw as the file type. At least it works for me.
                            • 11. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                              John Joslin Level 6
                              It all works in Vista 64 if you have all the right boxes ticked in Ps Preferences, Bridge Preferences, and ACR Preferences.

Edit: I wanted XP on this new computer but got Vista (for the 64 bit OS) and, after an initial "Eeeeew!" period, am now loving it!
                              • 12. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                loquacious1 Level 1
                                Jim,

Actually I'd only discovered this feature recently as Bridge was not program of choice - my 7 yr. old system didn't have resources to handle PS and Bridge well simultaneously, having only 512 MB RAM. Was lucky to run Photoshop alone, s_l_o_w_l_y on a P4. This all changed with 4GB RAM and a dual core. What a relief.

Old system dubbed 'Frankenstein' sits networked in pasture in case of need for XP dependent programs or external bkups which no longer run in Vista without wiping data and reformatting. Fortunately won't need them to thanks to networking the two. Only thing not supported by Camera RAW is .bmp which I'll convert. Files from scans years ago of old photos before understanding formats. Live n' learn.

Much of the time I use Lightroom in lieu of Bridge, but there are times it comes in handy for quick access. Now that Lightroom 2 works interactively with Photoshop it's made this less necessary, but still have uses for both.

John~

You are indeed fortunate Vista is your friend. Must have plenty of RAM to run 64 bit. I on the other hand run 32 and intend to downgrade next fresh install so previous peripheral investments work again. Did not play nicely and Microsoft failed to support their own products, deserving a hall of shame award IMO. Still waiting for MS's next OS, as functional and non functional skip generations with that company.

Close friend also loves Vista, but couldn't help noticing he runs an XP machine on the side like myself.... hehe just in case for specific needs. I'm sure he wouldn't mind my saying we are both happy for you though. ;^D Whatever works. Each person has different needs as always.
                                • 13. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                  Hello,
                                  I am trying to convert my raw images to jpeg using CS2 Bridge. It works fine as long as I don't go thru and "Batch Rename" all of the images. Once I do "Batch Rename" it gets rid of all the work that I have done on the RAW files and will not convert them to jpegs. It tells me that, "Something major happened" and it can't continue the action. It gives me an Error: No such element: 1271.

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are talking about but I thought I'd give it a shot. I have no idea what to do from here.
                                  • 14. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                    John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                                    Are you keeping the same/correct filename extension when renaming the images? What is your exact workflow?
                                    • 15. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                      Level 1
                                      I try to edit as much as possible in raw format so that I don't have a lot to do when they are converted to jpeg. Then I typically rename the images with a sequence number and the clients last name followed by the type of seesion. For example these images are going from CRW_8756 to 001.Graham Wedding. Then once they are renamed I convert them to jpegs. Is there something wrong here?
                                      • 16. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                        To clarify, you are editing the files in Adobe Camera Raw? You select the image to edit in Bridge and it opens in Camera Raw. You then edit in Camera Raw and click Done so it goes back to Bridge without opening in Photoshop?

That part sounds fine.

But when you rename, what are you doing with the filename extension? Your file starts out as CRW_8756.Something (it might be .crw or .cr2, it depends on the camera you are using). Then you would be saving it to a name like 001.Grahah Wedding.Something. If the files are still in raw format you need to use the original raw format filename extension (CRW ot CR2).

The dot in the middle of the name is probably OK, but I try to not uses dots in the middle of a filename. I would probably rename to something like 001_grahamwedding.crw.

If you remove or change the filename extension the software won't konw what to do with them any more.
                                        • 17. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                          Level 1
                                          Thanks, that should help. Although, I didn't add the dot to the name. The program did that all on it's own. I like to use the_ as well.

I recently had to reinstall this program and lost all of my settings. I think that's the main reason for my problems. Thanks again.
                                          • 18. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                            Level 1
                                            Oh one more thing. The raw images that come from my camera don't have the .something at the end. it just as the CRW_#### maybe that is my frustration?
                                            • 19. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                              Level 1
                                              Nerver mind that last message. I found what you were talking about.
                                              • 20. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                                I have CS3 installed on my macbook pro and everything works fine.I was following a tutorial in a book and asked me to open a file in camera raw using bridge.I have tried to open the file but open in camera raw option under file does not exist! Any ideas???the strange thing is i can access camera raw by opening a file in photoshop but the option is not there in bridge.Thankyou.
                                                • 21. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                                  loquacious1 Level 1
                                                  7th option under file is 'Open in Camera RAW' the keyboard shortcut is CTRL-R. (Checked mine for you)

Have you tried updating Bridge? Maybe that would help.... if not try using the keyboard shortcut.

Happy hunting, and I wish you luck with this problem. :-)
                                                  • 22. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                                    What version of Bridge do you have installed? What kind of file are you trying to open? What happens when you double-click on it in Bridge?
                                                    • 23. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                                      Tim Lookingbill Level 1
                                                      Bridge 2.1.1.9 go to Preference>Thumbnails...make sure "Prefer Camera Raw for Jpeg and Tiff files" is checked.

Thumbnails panel? Might want to place that pref within a more intuitive panel for us knuckle draggers.
                                                      • 24. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                                        When I double click on a jpeg image in Bridge shouldn't it open in photoshop? "Paint" opens it by default?????????
                                                        Steve
                                                        • 25. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                                          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                                          Steven,

You need to re-set your file associations. Are you on a Mac or a Windows box?

PS Your question mark key is stuck. :P
                                                          • 26. Re: In Bridge, can't open jpeg in camera raw
                                                            Anita Dennis Level 1
                                                            Steve, Here is a link to the Bridge Help page on how to change file type associations: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Bridge/3.0/WS4FC7198F-AB60-4be2-B359-D460C838D915a.html#WS979 2BD9F-BED3-403c-BC2B-CC7D4E7E2D96a.