8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 8:52 AM by PECourtejoie

Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files

Does anyone know where I can find the software from Adobe that I can download and enable me to open the RAW (NEF) files from my Nikon D80? I have Photoshop Elements 3.0 because my computer doesn't have enough memory for more advanced versions. I know it can work with RAW files, however, Adobe no longer supports it, so no one could tell me where the software is, but I know it's got to be out there somewhere. Can anyone help me? (I don't want to use Nikon VIEW NX or CAPTURE software, my computer doesn't have the requirements for those.)
        • 1. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
          adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee
          Download the DNG converter from here:
          http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3893

Convert you NEF files to DNG and use the DNGs to open the files in Elements 3.0

Thanks,

Adriana
          • 2. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
            Hi

I have a Nikon D700. PE 3 does not appear to be able to open the NEF files. I've searched the web for hours to see if there is a thread on this (or the D3/D300) to no avail. I have downloaded the last ACR plug-in for PE 3 but this does not work.

I'm a newcomer to Digital so please excuse me if my question is silly:

is there a way of opening D700 NEF Files in PE3?

Thank you.

Gerry
            • 3. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
              ArrrBee Level 1
              <Gerry_D.@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b5e7d3.1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi<br />><br />> I have a Nikon D700. PE 3 does not appear to be able to open the NEF <br />> files. I've searched the web for hours to see if there is a thread on this <br />> (or the D3/D300) to no avail. I have downloaded the last ACR plug-in for <br />> PE 3 but this does not work.<br />><br />> I'm a newcomer to Digital so please excuse me if my question is silly:<br />><br />> is there a way of opening D700 NEF Files in PE3?<br />><br />> Thank you.<br />><br />> Gerry<br />><br /><br /><br />You need the latest version of ACR and PE 3 doesn't support it. You will <br />need to upgrade to the latest PE to get the latest ACR.<br /><br />Robert
              • 4. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
                athegn Level 2
                Gerry

Read this thread. It will advise you on how to open D700 NEF files in PSE 3:-

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41808
                • 5. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                  Gerry, the solution that Adriana provided is also valid for your camera.
                  You need to install Camera Raw 3.6
                  and you can use the DNG converter to convert the NEF to DNG.
                  Then you can open the DNGs in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw)
                  • 6. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    >you can use the DNG converter

To be even more explicit, you can use the DNG Converter 5.1.

Always use the latest version of the DNG Converter. It's a stand alone application that doesn't need any version of Photoshop to run, so its version does not have to match the version of the ACR plug-in you install in Photoshop.
                    • 7. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
                      ArrrBee Level 1
                      <Robert_Barnett@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:43EEF86892FD78D36ED702D774C52CD9@in.webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> <Gerry_D.@adobeforums.com> wrote in message<br />> news:59b5e7d3.1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />>> Hi<br />>><br />>> I have a Nikon D700. PE 3 does not appear to be able to open the NEF<br />>> files. I've searched the web for hours to see if there is a thread on <br />>> this<br />>> (or the D3/D300) to no avail. I have downloaded the last ACR plug-in for<br />>> PE 3 but this does not work.<br />>><br />>> I'm a newcomer to Digital so please excuse me if my question is silly:<br />>><br />>> is there a way of opening D700 NEF Files in PE3?<br />>><br />>> Thank you.<br />>><br />>> Gerry<br />>><br />><br />><br />> You need the latest version of ACR and PE 3 doesn't support it. You will<br />> need to upgrade to the latest PE to get the latest ACR.<br />><br />> Robert<br />><br />><br /><br />I should have clarified. You can use the DNG Converter program from Adobe, <br />but that is just one more step. The latest version of PE is affordable to <br />just buy outright and even more affordable as an update. But, if you want <br />cheap DNG conveter will get you there with extra work and the loss of your <br />native raw format.<br /><br />Robert
                      • 8. Re: Photoshop Elements 3.0 and NEF files
                        PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                        Nothing prevents you to copy the proprietary raws, and convert the copy to DNG. Redundancy is always more secure!