6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2008 7:20 AM by Panoholic

New Camera Profiles and very high ISO files

Rockshead-sXCWMw Level 1
      I am having some difficulty directing this 'beta' comment as there no longer seems to be a Labs forum for the new Profiles. My apologies, if necessary, for therefore intruding on a user-to-user.
      Also, to add to my misdemeanours, I previously posted the following (slightly amended here) in the LR forum - which again may be not the ideal place.

"I have been really impressed with the camera profiles - in my case the Standard NEF for a D3 - and posted a complimentary message to that effect on the Labs LR beta2 forum under the pseudonym Rockshead.

The revelation that each profile is camera specific raises a particular question about that for the D3. Whilst the conversions at 'normal' ISO ratings are - as I said - stunning; the same cannot be said of those for the very high ISO numbers available with the D3; compared to the conversion of the same in View/CaptureNX. Applying LR noise reduction - by the bucket load - cerrtainly aids the definition, but has little effect on the colour differences.

I suppose my question is, is this something that we have to live with; or is there hope for the future that this will be able to be sorted by further tweak of the profiles. I can quite understand if this is element of the conversion is another ingredient of Nikon's secret sauce, and therefore outside of Adobe's future thinking? Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know the thinking.

Let me hasten to say, I am content to live with it for the relatively few ultra high ISO pictures I deal with. No complaints at all from me on the brilliant way Adobe has tackled the camera profile upgrade. Nevertheless, regular use of high ISOs is coming, and so it is a legitimate question,"
        • 1. Re: New Camera Profiles and very high ISO files
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          Hi Dick, your post is really about 2 completely separate topics. The color profiles and noise reduction parts of image processing are nearly completely independent, so the new color stuff has minimal impact on noise and vice versa. What you're saying here is that you're pleased with how the new profiles are impacting color, which is expected because that's what they're designed to do, but that you're not seeing improvements in noise reduction, which is also expected since we haven't changed any of the NR code and the new color profiles don't have anything to do with that.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles_FAQ#WhatGoesIntoProfile
          • 2. Re: New Camera Profiles and very high ISO files
            Rockshead-sXCWMw Level 1
            Eric: Thanks for the response. As I read it, there is no intention to 'add' a noise reduction element to specific camera profiles (like say D3, D700 and future v. high ISO models). If I read this wrongly, please feel free to correct. Otherwise I am now happy on the subject, and can operate accordingly for any future shots of this type. Again thanks for your time.
            • 3. Re: New Camera Profiles and very high ISO files
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
              Hi Dick, I did not intend my post to give any indication of what the future may hold with regards to the profiles. At the moment, the profiles are only concerned with color.
              • 4. Re: New Camera Profiles and very high ISO files
                durrace Level 1
                Eric Re: Color profiles,

I hope you can answer my question regarding initial rendering on import for my D300, which I asked in another post but got no replies. Previous versions of LR imported my raw's by first displaying the embedded preview, then to my disappointment, applied its own rendering. Now ... the initial preview is indistinguishable with the post rendered preview on import. While I'm happy with this (I like the previews - they match in camera previews), I'm confused as to what is going on and what has changed? Is it possible that the embedded preview is never displayed, and that LR instantly displays its own rendering on import?
                • 5. Re: New Camera Profiles and very high ISO files
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  >Is it possible that the embedded preview is never displayed, and that LR instantly displays its own rendering on import?

The embedded preview is still displayed, it is just identical in color appearance to the Lightroom/ACR rendering. I checked this by shooting RAW and jpeg. Lightroom's RAW rendering using the camera matching profiles (I used standard in Lightroom and in camera) is identical to the camera's jpeg. This is only true if you do not have extra options turned on in the camera such as the dynamic range reduction or changes to the picture style. The profiles are very good. They do have a small issue with highlights but you won't notice that when you import.
                  • 6. Re: New Camera Profiles and very high ISO files
                    Panoholic Level 2
                    > Whilst the conversions at 'normal' ISO ratings are - as I said - stunning; the same cannot be said of those for the very high ISO numbers available with the D3; compared to the conversion of the same in View/CaptureNX. Applying LR noise reduction - by the bucket load - cerrtainly aids the definition, but has little effect on the colour differences

1. Can if you can provide a documentation for such color differences in form of a raw file and pointing out some differences caused by the conversion?

2. "Very high ISO numbers" is not very specific. I wonder if you are aware of the fact, that your camera's highest real ISO setting is 6400. The settings 12800 and 25600 are eye-wash, meant only for those creating JPEG in-camera.