24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 7:42 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing

Level 1
      I posted this in June
      Bug: Multiple Files Open ACR Crashes Photoshop...
      Buko, "Bug: Multiple Files Open ACR Crashes Photoshop..." #1, 10 Jun 2008 2:57 pm

I just went back to my normal workflow with ACR 4.5 (after leaving it because of the problem) and got the new Photoshop crash report after working on about six files.

The workflow: .nef> Bridge> ACR> 16-bit aRGB (moving sliders Black/Mids/Exposure usually generates the crash)> resizing to 500 pixels and Save AS .psd (leaving the .psd files open seems to be the switch that causes the problem)

I can repeat the problem consistently:

Drag folder containing D200/D300 .nef files into Bridge, and going to work as described...if I don't leave my .psd files open I don't have a problem, if I leave them open as I work, I usually get the crash after 5-10 files.

I emailed crash reports to CC back in June,
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
          Level 1
          This is an 8-core Mac, 14000 MB ram, 10.5.4/CS3extended (all updates ran)

I also experienced the problem on a 4-core 2.66 Mac 10000 MB ram running 10.5 but have since returned that machine to 10.4.

Both 10.5x Macs were built after zerowriting the HDs and installing everything from scratch with no Wacom or other strange add ons (other than Office 2008)...
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
            Level 1
            It's your machine...on my 8 core machine, 16 gigs, 10.5.4, I've never had this happen. What steps have you taken to troubleshoot? Have you swapped ram (most likely in my opinion). If it were a pervasive problem, the boards would light up with many people complaining...and that's not happened.
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
              Level 1
              Well, like I wrote I am seeing it on two different 10.5 Intel machines, so I am not so fast to point at the hardware, but you may be right.

Then again, maybe many people aren't taking the exact steps to trigger the problem.

The trouble is I don't have too much faith in Adobe/CS3-Apple/Leopard/Intel right now to spend that kind of time (I know that's my headache). If I installed on a new HD, pulled my ram, I have the feeling all I would be doing is blowing wind saying I told you so.

It seems the crash logs would provide the real clue (where Photoshop is taking its dump), but the people who understand such rocket science aren't saying anymore, at least within my earshot.
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee
                Can you please send me the crash log via email? aohlmeye@adobe.com Thank you for your help!

Adriana
                • 5. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                  Level 1
                  How is the best way to access an Adobe Crash Log?

> Open Console and then, if the toolbar is not visible, choose View > Show Toolbar. Press the Logs button and then navigate to ~/Library/Logs > CrashReporter or /Library/Logs > Crash Reporter and choose the Photoshop report. Then "Save a Copy as" typically: Adobe Photoshop CS3_2008-03-30-152550_g-ballards-mac-pro-2.log

I only ask because I am not sure I am getting it right...if this is what you want...
                  • 6. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                    Level 1
                    Adriana,

I duplicated the problem for new logs today (15aug).

As expected I got 10 layers when Photoshop crashed, but I dont think it gave me a log at least that I know how to find).

I got about six layers into another run and this time it gave me a log (see 15aug folder in the email I just sent you).

The zip was 5mb with the older logs and new logs and screenshots...
                    • 7. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      >got about six layers

Layers ?
                      • 8. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                        Level 1
                        ya,

what I'm doing is dropping a folder of .nef files onto Bridge icon in the dock

then open one at a time in ACR (16-bit aRGB)

then adjust Exposure, Blacks, Brightness

then Open in Photoshop (from ACR)

there I am generally only making a Selective Color and minor Levels/Curves

at that point I crop and resize to 720x540 pixels wide at 72ppi (for Final Cut Pro project, for example) to start a Master layered file

I add a text layer with a drop shadow for small copyright watermark

NEXT

I open another .nef in ACR (from Bridge)

when it opens in Photoshop I make my adjustments

then drag the image over and drop it on the Master 720x542 (this adds another layer)

then Transform and scale down

NEXT I repeat the process so I end up with one Master file and Layers of "slides" to eventually Save As each layer as a .tiff (keeping the Master .psd intact)

HOWEVER photoshop is consistently crashing between 5-10 layers (IF I leave my 5-10 files open while I work on the additional layers)

IF I close my 5-10 files as I work on them, I seem to be able to build 100-layer Master .psd without the problem...
                        • 10. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                          Thanks for elaborating, GB. I hadn't realized you were copying the converted (from raw files) but unsaved image files from RAM/scratch disk (since you had not saved them at that point) and building a multilayered file, also in RAM/scratch disk.

I agree that a program should never crash it should beep at you or maybe even confront you with a sarcastic error message but, geeze, I imagine you're testing your hardware to the max there, aren't you? ;)
                          • 11. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                            Level 1
                            >> you had not saved them at that point

hmm, good point, I typically Save the .nef as a 16-bit MasterX.psd before I drag it over to the 720x540 layered master file that has also been saved -- so I don't think that's the switch

I hope the crash messages give a clue...I can certainly reproduce the crash at will (and work around it if I don't leave the files open after I drag them over)...
                            • 12. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                              Level 1
                              UPDATE:<br /><br />I pulled the 12gb of macramdirect ram and tested with only 2gb OEM Apple ram (to rule out the 3rd-party ram per Jeff Schewe's theory  I duplicated the crash within 15 minutes.<br /><br />My money remains on the BUG theory, but will swap out the OEM ram and continue...if that doesn't work I will install ACR 4.6 and retest...<br /><br />Today's CRASH REPORT:<br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><br /><!DOCTYPE AdobeCrashReport SYSTEM "AdobeCrashReporter.dtd"><br /><crashreport version="1.1" crVersion="2.5.0.02272007" applicationName="Photoshop" applicationVersion="10.0.1" build="10.0.1 &#40;10.0.1x20071012 [20071012.r.1644 2007/10/12&#58;09&#58;30&#58;00 cutoff; r branch]&#41;,  ©1990-2007 Adobe Systems Incorporated"><br />     <time year="2008" month="10" day="2" hour="15" minute="50" second="29" /><br />     <user guid="5F46434A-15D5-4A63-A652-31682CE59DD0" /><br />     <system platform="macintosh" osversion="10.5.5" applicationlanguage="en" userlanguage="en" oslanguage="en_US" ram="2048MB" machine="i386" model="MacPro3,1" cpuCount="8" cpuFreq="2800MHz" busFreq="1600MHz" /><br />     <crash exception="Unmapped Memory Exception" instruction="c683068b"><br />          <backtrace crashedThread="0"><br />               <thread index="0"><br />                    <stackStatement index="0" address="0xffff07c2" symbolname="unknown"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="1" address="0x9327efd9" symbolname="__ZN18CTextensionIOSuite17SearchIOSuiteTypeEmP11TDataHeaderh"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="2" address="0x9327ef17" symbolname="__ZN18CTextensionIOSuite16FreeSuiteObjectsEm"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="3" address="0x9327eee6" symbolname="__ZN18CTextensionIOSuite16FreeSuiteObjectsEv"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="4" address="0x9328c9af" symbolname="__ZN18CTextensionIOSuite4FreeEv"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="5" address="0x93248cd7" symbolname="__ZN22CTextensionEditCommand4FreeEv"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="6" address="0x9328c7ed" symbolname="__ZN15OpaqueTXNObject4FreeEv"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="7" address="0x9328c71e" symbolname="_TXNDeleteObject"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="8" address="0x2fcc4a6f" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="9" address="0x2fc9286e" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="10" address="0x2fc58104" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="11" address="0x2fc53c7e" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="12" address="0x2fc94c2e" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="13" address="0x2fc58104" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="14" address="0x2fc53c7e" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatement index="15" address="0x2fc74047" symbolname="_EntryFM"/><br />                    <stackStatemen
                              • 13. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                Level 1
                                The problem duplicated also with only two sticks of 3rd-party ram (so ram doesn't seem the problem).

I uploaded todays Photoshop crash logs
                                http://www.gballard.net/oct2crashlogs.zip

ONE crash is with the OEM ram 2 sticks
                                TWO crash is two sticks of macramdirect ram
                                • 14. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                  Level 1
                                  I am confused about the question whether ram is at fault or not. Is there no possibility to test ram hardware at the MAC? Sounds a bit unlikely. That would be the first thing to test in such a case.
                                  • 15. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                    Level 1
                                    The only way I know how to troubleshoot ram on a Mac or any computer is to pull it and test each stick or pair individually.

In this case, I duplicated the problem using only the pair of OEM Apple ram, and only using a pair of 3rd-party ram.

I believe that answers the question the ram is not at fault...
                                    • 16. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                      Walter,
                                      >Is there no possibility to test ram hardware at the MAC?

Over the years we have found that Photoshop is the ultimate RAM test. It will choke on RAM problems that software testers and even the engineers tests miss.

Physically swapping RAM sticks is indeed the way to go.
                                      • 17. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                        Level 1
                                        ACR 4.6 did not fix the problem.

The Photoshop Crash Report Crash Logs have been uploaded to www.gballard.net/oct2crashlogs.zip

The last four crash logs (in my link) reflect my troubleshooting as noted:

ONE: Only two sticks of OEM Apple Ram installed
                                        TWO: Only two sticks of 3rd-party Ram installed
                                        THREE: Created NEW USER (only two sticks of Apple Ram installed)
                                        FOUR: ACR 4.6 installed (after trashing PS and ACR preferences)

I moved my discussion back to the Mac Photoshop forum
                                        Ann Shelbourne, ""CS3 is still pretty unstable with Leopard"" #1, 2 Oct 2008 3:11 pm
                                        • 18. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                          Level 1
                                          Above "4.6" was a Beta linked to me by Adriana.<br /><br />I have replaced the Beta with the final 4.6.<br /><br />I went back to work in the workflow (closing the files as I went along  not trying to crash Photoshop).<br /><br />Photoshop CRASHED four layers deep (using the final 4.6 ACR).<br /><br />Photoshop generated a crash log that ended with the EXACT ENDING LINES the other 15 or so crash logs:<br /><br />Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libKoreanConverter.dylib"/><br />            <binaryImage start="0xbb500000" end="0xbb500fff" type="__TEXT" path="/System/Library/CoreServices/Encodings/libThaiConverter.dylib"/><br />        </binaryImageSet><br />    </crash><br /><br />I am uploaded the crash log here http://www.gballard.net/PScrashNov2.zip<br /><br />I am no rocket scientist, but do not understand how 15 crash reports that end in the same line do not offer any clues what the problem is?<br /><br />Sigh...
                                          • 19. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                            Level 7
                                            Could be because those ending lines have nothing to do with the crash - that's just the list of libraries loaded at the time.
                                            • 20. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                              Level 1
                                              >> those ending lines have nothing to do with the crash - that's just the list of libraries loaded at the time.

Thanks, Chris, that's very helpful, knowing the crash reports have no useful information allows me to move on from that theory.

Adriana was helping me with this.

The only feedback I got was she was "unable to duplicate the problem" and it sounds like I am "running out of memory."

I e-mailed her my Nov 2 crash report (4 layers deep, so I don't think I was running out of memory with 14GB installed and 300 GB free on my scratch disk).

I haven't e-mailed her my Nov 5 crash report yet (crashed outside of my layered master file workflow which I don't recall it doing before, so I think ACR 4.6 actually made the problem worse).

This leaves me either writing off CS3 or if I liked spending another day troubleshooting a fresh install just to say I told you so (and I would still be in the same boat)...
                                              • 21. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                                Level 1
                                                duplicate post deleted...
                                                • 22. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                                  Level 7
                                                  The crash report does have useful information - but that information is near the top.
                                                  It does take a while to go from a raw crash report to something useful, longer for some types of crashes (because the bug occurred long before the crash). The most useful thing for us is steps to reproduce the crash. (if we can reproduce it reliably, we can find and fix it )
                                                  • 23. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                                    BedtymeBear Level 2
                                                    you can run out of RAM really quick (quicker than you might think) if you have damaged fonts on your system, or if you simply have ALOT of fonts. Also, permissions conflicts and disk errors can prevent Photoshop from writing to your scratch disks.

not sure if these are your issues, but here's what I suggest:

if you use any third-party font management -- basically, anything other than FontBook -- disable or uninstall it and then reboot. test and see what happens in Photoshop.

Without any third-party font management installed (or with it disabled at least), use FontBook to validate your fonts. (see [http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=FontBook/2.0/en/fb1003.html] if you're not sure how to do this.)

If it's not fonts, try replicating the issue while logged into the Root user account. if you have Fast-user switching enabled, be sure to LOG OUT of your account before logging into Root. (if you're not familiar with using Root, see this article [http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528].)

If the problem still occurs in the Root user, then you should look at possibly doing some diagnostics on the Mac OS startup volume (and any other disk volumes you're using). You can use the diagnostic tools found on your Mac OS 10.5 install disk, or you can take the machine into an Apple store and they can do it for you.

If the issue does not occur in Root, then it's a permissions issue. It could be system-wide, or it could be specific to your user account.

create a new admin account and try to replicate the problem in this newly-created user. If it doesn't happen here, then your original account's permissions, or some of the user-specific preference files or startup items, are the problem.

If PS works in Root and/or in a newly-created admin user, see [http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1199] for steps to take to troubleshoot some other issues.

If PS doesn't work in Root or the new admin, then something else is going on. Hopefully someone else will have some helpful tips or advice.

Also, have you called Adobe Tech Support? They should be able to help you out. see the "contact" link at the top of this forum page for their number
                                                    • 24. Re: ACR 4.5 Did Not Fix Photoshop Bug Crashing
                                                      Font Book and Font Doctor miss a number of problem fonts. FontAgent Pro (FAP) is pretty good at ferreting them out, and they have a fully functional 30-day trial version available.