4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 10:43 AM by (walter_schroeder)

CS3 Upgrade & Camera Raw 4.5 = MAJOR HEADACHE!

Level 1
      I bought a D300. Then found out that the only way to use Photoshop with it was to upgrade the Camera Raw plug-in to 4.5, which could ONLY be used with CS3. So NOW I have THOUSANDS of dollars in camera gear and software that has caused me more headaches than putting 4 kids through high school.

P4, 4 GB RAM a gazzilion bytes of hard drive space and I'm getting the dreaded blue screen of death after going through 3 or 4 photos in CS3's Bridge.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT or something like that. I've emailed support and nothing. Very disappointing to say the least.

I've got it down to faulting after going through about 10 pics now but NOW, on SOME of the Nikon (.NEF) files, it's telling me that "Photoshop CS2 cannot be found!"

I'm sorry, but I'm very close to dousing this thing with lighter fluid and sending the ashes back to Adobe. I have over 1000 photos to process from the weekend it's it's IMPOSSIBLE to do it with these errors.

YES, I did the Camera Raw update per the instructions.
        • 1. Re: CS3 Upgrade & Camera Raw 4.5 = MAJOR HEADACHE!
          Level 1
          >I'm sorry, but I'm very close to dousing this thing with lighter fluid and sending the ashes back to Adobe.

Sorry that you are having issues, but really, this is the CAMERA RAW forum...if you are having issues with CS3, you would be far better off posting in the main Photoshop or Bridge forums since your issues have nothing to do with Camera Raw 4.5.

Oh. BTW you do know that if you use the DNG Converter 4.5 you can open the resulting DNG files in versions back to Photoshop CS, right? So, it ain't like a gun was heald up to yuor head forcing you to upgrade to CS3 under duress...really foolish to do an unplanned and untested major version upgrade under deadline...that's on you bud.
          • 2. Re: CS3 Upgrade & Camera Raw 4.5 = MAJOR HEADACHE!
            John Joslin Level 6
            A BSOD normally means hardware or drivers, not an application.

Do a search for and delete all instances of adobefnt*.lst
            (that extension is .LST).

And if a broken or corrupted font is causing problems there is no alternative in the long run to tracking it down and deleting it.

Jeff is right, this should be posted in the main PS forum along with system specs and exact error messages.
            • 3. Re: CS3 Upgrade & Camera Raw 4.5 = MAJOR HEADACHE!
              Level 1
              > I bought a D300. Then found out that the only way to use Photoshop with it was to upgrade the Camera Raw plug-in to 4.5, which could ONLY be used with CS3.

I use a D300 (as a backup body) with CS2 just fine -- you don't need CS3, just a reasonably late-model DNG converter from Adobe.
              • 4. Re: CS3 Upgrade & Camera Raw 4.5 = MAJOR HEADACHE!
                Level 1
                Elginet - your error message points to RAM problems. Perhaps your PS uses more RAM than other software and therefore the error only shows up when using PS. You could try to remove part of the memory just to locate the problem if it is within one or two memory banks. With 2 GByte the computer should run PS even though a bit slow. Once you located the problem you could either replace the defective memory or replace the whole set depending on your configuration.

It is not necessarily a hardware fault it could be a setting for memory access in the BIOS.

Basically CS3 and ACR4.5 work fine on many computers and it is very stable on my machine under Win XP-pro. Be certain it is not a general problem.
                Best of luck that you can resolve your problem.
                Cheers
                Walter