I am running PSE 6 for mac (OS X 10.4.11) on my imac

Please help!

Thanks,
      Rebecca
        • 1. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
          michael shaffer Level 1
          Point your browser at:
          http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

and then follow the link for 'Macintosh'. Instructions are provided for Elements6, and let us know if you're still having problems.

hth :)
          • 2. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
            Level 1
            Adobe does not make updates easy for the novice. Sorry I am needing a little more clarification. I have put my questions in brackets and caps (not yelling...just wanting to differentiate the directions and my questions). Please help a newbie! There has to be an easier way to do this!
            Thanks!
            Here are the directions from the link above:
            1. Exit Photoshop Elements and Adobe Bridge [DONE].
            2. Open the Finder. [DONE]
            3. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the user's home folder). [WHAT IS THE ROOT OF THE LOCAL DISK? AND HOW CAN I FIND IT?]
            4. Navigate to location designated by your version of Photoshop Elements: (Please read directory carefully) [HOW DO I READ THE DIRECTORY?]
            a. Photoshop Elements 4.01: Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS2/File Formats
            b. Photoshop Elements 6: Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats

5. Move the existing plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back. [WHY WOULD I NEED TO REVERT BACK?]
            6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4. [NOW I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED]
            7. Launch Photoshop Elements or Adobe Bridge.
            • 3. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              Rebecca,

It looks like you're on a Mac.

>[WHAT IS THE ROOT OF THE LOCAL DISK? AND HOW CAN I FIND IT?]

The root level is what you see when you double-click on the icon of your hard disk in the Finder.

>(Please read directory carefully) [HOW DO I READ THE DIRECTORY?]

I'm pretty sure they meant directions, as in Read the Directions Carefully.

>[WHY WOULD I NEED TO REVERT BACK?]

Occasionally, some users have trouble with updates. Personally, I've never had any reason to revert. so I always nuke (delete, trash) old versions of ACR immediatly when installing an update. I feel that keeping an obsolete version is akin to putting a used paper tissue in your pocket after blowing your nose instead of discarding it. That's just me.

[Relevant older versions of ACR are readily available for downloading on the Adobe site.]

>6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4. [NOW I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED]

In step 4 you're going to get rid of the old ACR plug-in, and in step 6 you are going to put the new plug-in in its place.

It's really very simple and straight forward --except for that unfortunate typo where they have directory instead of directions and the silliness about keeping the old version of the ACR plug-in.
              • 4. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
                John Joslin Level 6
                > the silliness about keeping the old version of the ACR plug-in

Simple prudence dear boy. There has been a recent case where, under very specific circumstances, users had to revert to 4.4.

It doesn't hurt to keep one old version. (I'm glad I kept the installer for Adobe Reader Version 7 for example. And think of all the poor devils that removed PS CS2 only to find that they needed it to print from!)
                • 5. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
                  > a recent case where, under very specific circumstances, users had to revert to 4.4.

4.4 was readily available for downloading from the Adobe site. No need to keep the snot in your pocket.

Prudence my foot!
                  • 6. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
                    PS== I do keep a backup of all my downloads on a separate, removable hard drive.
                    • 7. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
                      Downloaded PSE 6 as upgrade to PSE 4. All installed in "Applications". Can't launch 6 - just sends me deeper into folders that finally end with "Setup". Ran setup successfully the first time, but now get "there was an error in...., contact customer support". Have gone back to the .dmg file numerous times but no change in outcome. No memory or disc issues.
                      • 8. Re: Unable to install 4.5 update
                        >contact customer support

Have you done that?