2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2008 4:23 AM by Bill_Janes

I need clarity! NX vs. any other editing program...

Level 1
      I'm in a mess...
      struggle to get to this.

People and various Nikonians tell me that if i open a RAW image with NX, in order to preserve metadata and be able to work on them on CS3 or any other editing program, all i have to do is to save the file from NX in TIFF format, and then open it with CS3.

saving indeed as TIFF and opening with CS3/CR it does save the setting, yet the image appears of a MUCH worse quality, i see a lot of noise which should not be there, as it is not there when seen on NX.
      And it is so at 25%, 50%, 100%...and so on.

indeed, zooming at 100% details are identical, no doubts. Even by saving both files (from NX and from CS3) as JPG, images are exactly the same.
      However, when i visualize the TIFF image with CS3 as saved from NX...and if i compare at "screen size" the one in NX and the one as TIFF...the two pics are very different, not so much in terms of colours, but in terms of NOISE above all. This is a mistery to me, i must confess.

Which is disturbing, because what i see as TIFF in CS3 makes me think there is a lot of noise and hence it might push me towards further editing which may not be necessary.

Am i turning insane?
      Thanks so much for your help!!
      Matteo
        • 1. Re: I need clarity! NX vs. any other editing program...
          matteo_bertolino@adobeforums.com wrote in
          news:59b660a5.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI:

> I'm in a mess...
          > struggle to get to this.
          >
          > People and various Nikonians tell me that if i open a RAW image with
          > NX, in order to preserve metadata and be able to work on them on CS3
          > or any other editing program, all i have to do is to save the file
          > from NX in TIFF format, and then open it with CS3.
          >
          > saving indeed as TIFF and opening with CS3/CR it does save the
          > setting, yet the image appears of a MUCH worse quality, i see a lot of
          > noise which should not be there, as it is not there when seen on NX.
          > And it is so at 25%, 50%, 100%...and so on.
          >
          > indeed, zooming at 100% details are identical, no doubts. Even by
          > saving both files (from NX and from CS3) as JPG, images are exactly
          > the same. However, when i visualize the TIFF image with CS3 as saved
          > from NX...and if i compare at "screen size" the one in NX and the one
          > as TIFF...the two pics are very different, not so much in terms of
          > colours, but in terms of NOISE above all. This is a mistery to me, i
          > must confess.
          >
          > Which is disturbing, because what i see as TIFF in CS3 makes me think
          > there is a lot of noise and hence it might push me towards further
          > editing which may not be necessary.
          >
          > Am i turning insane?
          > Thanks so much for your help!!
          > Matteo
          >

Hi Matteo:

Maybe I can help, CS3 uses (as does most other programs) an algorithm to
          size your image to fit the screen. The computer screen has a lot lower
          resolution than most digital cameras so something has to give. This means
          that in CS3 that viewing at something at other than 100% may not show you
          what the file really looks like. For judging color, composition and other
          things that do not require detail accuracy full screen fit works just
          fine. If you want to judge sharpness, noise and the like, you must use
          100, 200 or 400%. This is just a limitation on trying to fit a large
          amount of data on what is in truth a low resolution viewing device.

John Passaneau
          • 2. Re: I need clarity! NX vs. any other editing program...
            Bill_Janes Level 2
            >People and various Nikonians tell me that if i open a RAW image with NX, in order to preserve metadata and be able to work on them on CS3 or any other editing program, all i have to do is to save the file from NX in TIFF format, and then open it with CS3.

Since this is an Adobe Camera Raw forum and you are not using ACR, you might get better responses in another forum such as the NX section on the LumunousLandscape or the Adobe Photoshop forum. ACR will read the camera white balance but does not make use of the camera Picture Styles. It does record basic metadata (look in the File Info panel to check these).

Why don't you try ACR? The latest version has profiles that closely reproduce the camera Picture Styles, but you have to apply these profiles manually. ACR has a much better interface and is much faster than NX. I have NX, but don't use it much.

>saving indeed as TIFF and opening with CS3/CR it does save the setting, yet the image appears of a MUCH worse quality, i see a lot of noise which should not be there, as it is not there when seen on NX. And it is so at 25%, 50%, 100%...and so on.

TIFF is a standard image format and I've never had any of the problems you've described with NX and PS. It would help if you would post a cropped full resolution image demonstrating this noise.